Dianna krall & The audiophile

vinyl_lady

Re: Dianna krall & The audiophile
« Reply #40 on: 5 May 2014, 09:08 pm »
Ahh, a strike!set the hook!  You may not remember, but we spent a few minutes talking about the quality of  NY's records in the GR-Research room at the RMAF a couple of years back.  I admit to trolling for you, but in good fun.   :thumb:
Scott

As they say, "hook, line & sinker," you got me good Scott. :thumb: I do remember our discussion. Since I can't carry a tune, NY is someone with whom I can sing along. :green: That partially explains why I like him so much, plus his song craft is exceptional IMO.

Hope all is well,

Laura

1oldguy

« Reply #42 on: 6 May 2014, 12:38 am »
Of course there is always an upside.If this woman has the power to get people into great audio gear then so be it.

Bavarian05

« Reply #43 on: 6 May 2014, 05:46 am »
I am expecting to be flamed for this, though I am a big fan of both Patricia Barber and Diana Krall.
I've seen both live more than once and believe them both to be very talented artists. Patricia has a bit more artistic legitimacy in my opinion. I am an audio geek through and through, though I love virtually all types of music. I enjoy Pantera and Stravinsky Alike.  If music is well recorded, I can enjoy it. If it is not well recorded, I can still enjoy it - in the car. Can't handle poorly recorded stuff on the home system. Please go easy on me...  :cry:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #44 on: 6 May 2014, 01:28 pm »
In the 70s I worked in an audio store and got tired of Sheffield DTDs pretty quickly, and was about to assume the same about DK.  I pulled out my $1 garage- sale Best of DK CD and it wasn't bad at all.  Didn't exactly have a lot of emotion to it, but still not a bad way to relax for an evening.

Edit:  It had the best recording of audience applause I've ever heard.    Most applause sounds like white noise at ear-splitting levels.   :scratch:

mick wolfe

« Reply #45 on: 6 May 2014, 03:47 pm »
I am expecting to be flamed for this, though I am a big fan of both Patricia Barber and Diana Krall.
I've seen both live more than once and believe them both to be very talented artists. Patricia has a bit more artistic legitimacy in my opinion. I am an audio geek through and through, though I love virtually all types of music. I enjoy Pantera and Stravinsky Alike.  If music is well recorded, I can enjoy it. If it is not well recorded, I can still enjoy it - in the car. Can't handle poorly recorded stuff on the home system. Please go easy on me...  :cry:

We'll have to go down in flames together. I only listen to DK occasionally, but Patricia Barber is in my regular rotation. No need to apologize....to each his( or her) own.

srb

Re: Diana Krall & The Audiophile
« Reply #46 on: 6 May 2014, 03:55 pm »
Although I tend to prefer more technically proficient and purer voiced vocalists such as Jane Monheit for example, I still listen to and enjoy Diana Krall, and can appreciate her feel, phrasing and intonation.

Steve

klao

« Reply #47 on: 6 May 2014, 04:58 pm »
Aha,  I just saw this topic posted, and coincidentally I bought her "Live In Paris" LPs today.  I also have "Love Scenes" just because "they say" the albums sound good.  I didn't have my vinyl rig setup yet.  So, I don't know yet.

Downloaded a couple of her other albums from HDTrack during the last two years, just to hear what's the fuss is all about.  Well, can't say I'm her fan.  The same applies to Norah Jones.  Just trying to be open mind and explore the music, I guess.  I think I like Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday, Shirley Horn, or even Patti Austin better.

I don't consider myself an audiophile, anyway.   :lol:

Samurai7595

« Reply #48 on: 6 May 2014, 05:28 pm »
I like her music and love her looks...   :thumb:

Mike Nomad

« Reply #49 on: 6 May 2014, 05:49 pm »
Her records usually sound great, and she looks fantastic on video. Which is why she makes for good Demo Bait. While I'm not really a fan, She has one song that definitely put the hook in me: Narrow Daylight.

I always use it to demo kit because of its dynamics, and its not very long. If there are other people in the room when I spin it, at least one of them will stop what they are doing, listen intently, and then ask me, "Who is that? Is all her stuff that good?"

sturgus

« Reply #50 on: 6 May 2014, 06:55 pm »
First I will say that I like Diana KralL. I first saw her live at the Just Jazz club when the cover charge was buy 2 drinks. She was not well known at the time. I thought she had a lot of potential. She has come a long way since then. As with all things audiophile be it an artist or company that makes gear, we tend to like it until it becomes successful. When it is getting good press and heaven forbid outsiders start to take notice we start to dislike it. Maybe it's just our nature to be this way.

" AUDIOPHILES EAT THEIR YOUNG "   

1oldguy

« Reply #51 on: 6 May 2014, 11:35 pm »
I like her music and love her looks...   :thumb:

I think you've hit the nail on the head.her good looks play into this on some level as a few posts have alluded to it.
Ain't nothing wrong with a pretty woman,trust me the prettier the better,but as far as music goes i don't care one bit how someone looks.
I'm only going to have their sound on my system,very little chance of actually dating the artist.To be blunt that first pick is the equivalent of
lady gaga taking off all her clothes on stage a little while ago.Yes she is attractive but that never factors in with my musical tastes never will.
But that being said feel fee to post as many pretty woman as you like,my eyeballs enjoy it. :thumb:

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #52 on: 6 May 2014, 11:46 pm »
Beauty is fleeting.

Same woman, 40yrs apart, but what a voice. It used to sound like a flute, now it's more like a tenor sax.

Doc

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #53 on: 7 May 2014, 04:06 am »
Beauty is fleeting.

Same woman, 40yrs apart, but what a voice. It used to sound like a flute, now it's more like a tenor sax.

Doc
    Pardon my ignorance but who is this lady? She looks familiar in the earlier pix  :scratch: :dunno:

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #54 on: 7 May 2014, 04:34 am »
That is Maria Maldaur, the one and only.

charmerci

« Reply #55 on: 7 May 2014, 04:57 am »
Sort of the anti-DK, I'd much rather listen to Shirley Horn. She didn't become popular because of her looks plus she did things her own way - music industry-wise plus a good percentage of her songs were very slow and mellow - not a way to be very popular. You Won't Forget Me is a great sounding album and much, much better than anything DK has put out.

I have many Shirley Horn albums and none of Kralls. No contest.