Beware Of Your Friends!!!!

1oldguy

Beware Of Your Friends!!!!
« on: 24 Oct 2012, 12:13 am »
I had a friend over recently,I left the room to take a call,came back and he was standing next to my B@W Speaker,I found it odd,went over to the speaker and sure enough,he had been touching the tweeter and rubbed away some of the silver on the tweeter.I am wondering since he didn't press hard(SO I take it) will I loose performance now?
I can't believe the complete stupidity of some people.He is aware I DO NOT (Want/Desire)ANYONE TOUCHING MY KIT.This guy is a moron of the highest order.

If anyone can help with any info regarding the delicate nature of the Tweeter in question would greatly be appreciated.
Again there appears to be no indentation only some silver rubbed off in a small portion of the tweeter.
I feel like beating the hell out of this jack ass to be honest.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2012, 09:59 pm by 1oldguy »

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Beware Of Your Friends!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2012, 12:16 am »
Anybody else here want to point out the (slightly) obvious?   :icon_twisted:   :lol:

1oldguy

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2012, 12:24 am »
Yes I.m pissed ......and angry ....This is someone I've known for a long time and have been testing gear together for quite some time.
No one I know takes kindly to betrayal.I know I don't.It was the first time I ever left the room while testing and this is what happens.
So If I sound angry ...It's because I am.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2012, 12:28 am »
Have him pay for a new tweeter. period. Give him the old one as a memento.
On my B&W 805s I dented the tweeter when drunk (naturally i had the cover off) and I just sucked it out with a vacuum cleaner.
 No problem.
When I traded them in the dealer replaced that tweeter anyway.

1oldguy

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2012, 12:36 am »
Hi Elizabeth......

Even if the performance is the same it's the cosmetic condition that still bothers me.I now have to look see  what might appear to be small to most is
glaring to me.
I had just taken off the tweeter caps never thinking he would be so bold.I guess he was waiting for his chance and took it.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2012, 12:43 am »
A very long time ago, I bought a 1974 Porsche 914/6. The night I bought it I called my best friend and we went for a quick speed test up and down the hill he lived on. Coming back up, he slammed against the passenger door and it opened (because he hadn't closed it all the way). I stopped as fast as I could and he slammed the door shut. It didn't close. I said "Unlock the door". He slammed the door shut again. I said a bit louder "Unlock the door." He slammed the door shut really hard. "I Yelled SCOTT, UNLOCK THE F@#ING DOOR!!!" He slammed it again with so much force that it blew the passenger window into a million pieces into of the car.  I had owned that car less than two hours. :duh:

I felt exactly like you do right now.

I sold that car a very long time ago. Scott is still my best friend.

Sorry to go off topic. :oops:

1oldguy

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2012, 12:51 am »
Hi Jerry....

The difference here is that he may not have heard you.I would imagine since you two are still friends tells me that you must have felt it was honest stupidity.
I on the other hand feel it was deliberate.The speakers didn't move or come to him.

To live and learn I guess is the key in life.Lets just say I will never be quite so trusting again.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:06 am »
Sorry to hear about this 1oldguy and I certainly wish everything works out for you. The vast majority of people these days have no respect for other individuals property - it must be something that they are putting in the drinking water these days or the end result of too many people with poor social or parenting abilities producing offspring.

I am with Elizabeth on this one, send him the bill.

Be well...

PRELUDE

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:14 am »
I had a friend over recently,I left the room to take a call,came back and he was standing next to my B@W Speaker,I found it odd,went over to the speaker and sure enough,he had been touching the tweeter and rubbed away some of the silver on the tweeter.I am wondering since he didn't press hard(SO I take it) will I loose performance now?
I can't believe the complete stupidity of some people.He is aware I DO NOT ANYONE TOUCHING MY KIT.This guy is a moron of the highest order.

If anyone can help with any info regarding the delicate nature of the Tweeter in question would greatly be appreciated.
Again there appears to be no indentation only some silver rubbed off in a small portion of the tweeter.
I feel like beating the hell out of this jack ass to be honest.
Do not worry about the performance. :D
Do you have a multi-purpose tape at home?
Cut a small piece and rap it around your finger,then put your finger on the tweeter dome softly and pull it out quick.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:57 am »
Sorry to hear about the mishap.  Many people touch things without even thinking about what it could do.  I remember years back when I had a Mercedes SL500 and I had someone sitting in the passenger seat pressing buttons and then asking what they do afterwards.  I don't think he liked my answer.  I've had it happen with other things that were never 100% the same and I can never figure out why someone would touch something with the possibility of damaging it.  It is just thoughtless.  People sometimes don't mind as long as they don't have to live with it, whether it is a public restroom, audio equipment or other gadgets.  I had one of those clocks with the tuning fork that goes back and forth rapidly to display the time, messages, etc.  He finally went over 10+ years.  I had a few people put their finger in the path even after I saw them beginning the process and told them to stop.

bhakti

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:13 am »
ya, if possible - will happen!!  Too sexy - will fondle!!

95Dyna

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:18 pm »
Sorry to hear about this 1oldguy and I certainly wish everything works out for you. The vast majority of people these days have no respect for other individuals property - it must be something that they are putting in the drinking water these days or the end result of too many people with poor social or parenting abilities producing offspring.

I am with Elizabeth on this one, send him the bill.

Be well...

Hi Andy,

I'm glad to hear you are with Elizabeth on this one but please don't get drunk and poke a dent in your tweeter then try to suck it out with the vacuum cleaner.  That might be an adventure with the Array 1400's!  :lol:

rob80b

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2012, 03:03 pm »

I can't believe the complete stupidity of some people.

Or the intelligence, prior to the arrival of my own son (and child proofing) we had a family visiting and in the first ten minutes of their arrival the four year old insisted on having the car keys as he needed a tool (unbeknownst to me) to poke out the eyes hiding behind the tweeter guards of my Celestion SL6Ss.
A bad start for a weekend visit as I was also totally pissed, my wife thought I was overreacting, that was until this little monster uprooted and snipped every flower in her much beloved garden

Blueshirt1

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2012, 04:03 pm »
Lol, I'm posting this just 5min after seeing my 3 year old put a toy in the baffle of my Merlin VSM's and watch it dissapear into the bottom. Needless to say my Merlins now have kung fu grip. UGH!!!

Wife "well they still work so whats the big deal"...double UGH!!!!

Don_S

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2012, 04:18 pm »
Only $65 for 1000 feet.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2012, 04:26 pm »
We are guys, a large number of whom lean toward engineering or tech.  Regardless of age if left alone with shiny objects we'll get curious and do something stupid. It comes with the territory.  Without guys doing something stupid, YouTube would be a tiny fraction of what it is.   :lol:
Now, if I can just figure out how to remove a 300mm lens from an old Nikkormat body, it'll be good.  I put it on 180 degrees out.    Dumbass.  :nono:

Ask any woman.   :duh:

rob80b

« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2012, 05:02 pm »
.........had been touching the tweeter and rubbed away some of the silver on the tweeter.I am wondering since he didn't press hard(SO I take it) will I loose performance now?

Hi 1oldguy

In terms of performance, tweeter coating (doping) and in your case the silver coating may or may not effect dispersion performance but it's obviously there for a reason, my Celestion tweeters were a write off but I also had both tweeters on my Dynaudio Contours pushed in even though the speaker grills were in place, was able to suck them out but when trying to get that last dimple I used some sticky tape which only succeeded in removing the coating.
My ears were (are) probably too old to hear any difference but having those all but imperfect tweeter domes staring at me enticed me to order new ones from Dynaudio along with tweeter guards all round for the Contours and Special 25s, now I rest a little easier and keep the neurosis at bay.

Robert

sfraser

« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2012, 05:30 pm »
We are guys, a large number of whom lean toward engineering or tech.  Regardless of age if left alone with shiny objects we'll get curious and do something stupid. It comes with the territory.  Without guys doing something stupid, YouTube would be a tiny fraction of what it is.   :lol:
Now, if I can just figure out how to remove a 300mm lens from an old Nikkormat body, it'll be good.  I put it on 180 degrees out.    Dumbass.  :nono:

Ask any woman.   :duh:

Yep, we can be strange animals....."Tell a man there are a billion stars in the sky, and he will believe you outright. Tell him that park bench over there has wet paint on it, and he will have to go touch it for him self."

mkaiser

« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2012, 06:13 pm »
"I can't believe the complete stupidity of some people.He is aware I DO NOT ANYONE TOUCHING MY KIT."

Maybe if you included the word WANT to complete the sentence appropriately he would have had a better idea of what you were trying to tell him all these years.  :duh:

bummrush

« Reply #19 on: 24 Oct 2012, 06:21 pm »
 Needless to say my Merlins now have kung fu grip. UGH!!!       maybe now you will have tighter bass,kinda un real about guy slamming car door.