Considering Salk

Audiophile

Considering Salk
« on: 31 Dec 2016, 02:57 pm »
All,

I current own the Von Schweikert Audio VR-5 HSE Hovland Special Edition and really love the speakers. They have given me many hours of music enjoyment. As with most of us we always feel the need for an upgrade.

I'm considering Salk speakers but since they are sold direct It's difficult to audition. I see nothing but praise here in Audio Circle and across the internet as well.

The Salk speakers I'm considering is the Veracity HT3 and the SoundScape 8. Would like to know if anyone has compared the 2 with the speakers below.

Von Schweikert Audio VR-5 HSE
Focal Sopra 2
B&W 803 D3
Dynaudio Contour 60

Thanks

putz

Re: Considering Salk
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2016, 04:14 pm »
Where you located? You might be able to audition the Salks you are considering. I am in NJ and have HT3s.

There is a thread on AC with Salk owners and where they reside.

Audiophile

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2016, 04:27 pm »
Where you located? You might be able to audition the Salks you are considering. I am in NJ and have HT3s.

There is a thread on AC with Salk owners and where they reside.

That's very generous of you!! I live in Staten Island, NY Where in NJ are you located?

putz

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2016, 04:39 pm »
That's very generous of you!! I live in Staten Island, NY Where in NJ are you located?

Bridgewater, right off of 287. PM me if you want to stop by.

Audiophile

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2016, 05:13 pm »
Bridgewater, right off of 287. PM me if you want to stop by.

Great! Thanks so much!! Just 3 questions.

1- What amp drives the HT3
2- What speakers did you replace
3- What speakers did you listen/consider when purchasing the HT3

Thanks again!!

putz

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2016, 05:40 pm »
Great! Thanks so much!! Just 3 questions.

1- What amp drives the HT3
2- What speakers did you replace
3- What speakers did you listen/consider when purchasing the HT3

Thanks again!!

1- Classe CA200. HT3s need power. 200 wpc in my case
2- Salk Songtowers
3- I really liked my Songtowers and then heard the HT3s at a friends. The Songtowers were only missing a great low end which the HT3s provided in spades. When a used pair became available nearby at a great price, I jumped on them and never looked back. You will not find many Salk owners who've regretted their decision to purchase them.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2016, 05:50 pm »

The Salk speakers I'm considering is the Veracity HT3 and the SoundScape 8. Would like to know if anyone has compared the 2 with the speakers below.

Focal Sopra 2
B&W 803 D3
Dynaudio Contour 60

Thanks

The 5's are great speakers. I am a little confused by the choices in this list. They seem a slight more aggressive in sound than the 5's. I personally like the Sopra as I think it has the bones to be a good all around speaker - but then you just need to move up the line. The 803's are very bright and unforgiving. The SS8's will blow them away in a heartbeat. Dynaudios are typically very aggressive in the top end in my experience until you get way up the range.

Before I bought HT3's I listened to 802D's many times and could not get past the price when compared to what the HT3 delivered at half the price in my choice of finish.

I have had HT3's, HT2-TL's, Song Towers, SS8's, Archos, and Exoticas as far as I can remember. I would think the Exotica is closer to the VS 5's in tone and less-aggressiveness. If you want to be more aggressive then the SS8 is the way to go. They pack a wallop. The HT3 is an all-around great performer from deep bass on up to smooth top end. But they are POWER HUNGRY. Not a bad thing, just be prepared that 100 wpc is barely enough to get them energized (everything kicking in and going strong). Think 250 wpc+ , they will take everything you give them at 84 db. But they are still wonderful.

What is your goal for sound that is driving you away from the VS?

Audiophile

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2016, 05:50 pm »
1- Classe CA200. HT3s need power. 200 wpc in my case
2- Salk Songtowers
3- I really liked my Songtowers and then heard the HT3s at a friends. The Songtowers were only missing a great low end which the HT3s provided in spades. When a used pair became available nearby at a great price, I jumped on them and never looked back. You will not find many Salk owners who've regretted their decision to purchase them.

Thanks!

I see there are very few who replace Salk speakers. Most upgrade within the Salk line and few pay much more money for an upgrade to a different brand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2016, 05:50 pm »
Oh, I had VS VR-4's before the HT3's.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2016, 05:52 pm »
All,

I current own the Von Schweikert Audio VR-5 HSE Hovland Special Edition and really love the speakers. They have given me many hours of music enjoyment. As with most of us we always feel the need for an upgrade.

I'm considering Salk speakers but since they are sold direct It's difficult to audition. I see nothing but praise here in Audio Circle and across the internet as well.

Focal Sopra 2
B&W 803 D3
Dynaudio Contour 60

Thanks

Jim Salk makes some beautiful sounding and looking speakers and they are generally a much better performer than similarly priced dealer sold speakers.

What is your budget?

What are you trying to improve by upgrading?

There is a big price difference between the HT3's and S8's.

Given the amount of money you would potentially be spending, I think a trip to see Jim Salk and hear a bunch of his speakers would be money well spent.  That is most likely the only way you could hear the HT3's, S8's, Exoticas, and Song3's all at once.

Personally, I have never jelled with the various VS speakers I have auditioned or heard over the years and would pretty much take any of the Salk speakers I listed above over the VS speakers.  That said, I don't currently use Salk speakers in my 2 channel setup (I used to a long time ago).  I do use Song Towers for HT.

One last item to note...Jim's customer service is exemplary!  For me, this is as important as the quality/performance of the product.

Best of luck,

George

Audiophile

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2016, 05:54 pm »
The 5's are great speakers. I am a little confused by the choices in this list. They seem a slight more aggressive in sound than the 5's. I personally like the Sopra as I think it has the bones to be a good all around speaker - but then you just need to move up the line. The 803's are very bright and unforgiving. The SS8's will blow them away in a heartbeat. Dynaudios are typically very aggressive in the top end in my experience until you get way up the range.

Before I bought HT3's I listened to 802D's many times and could not get past the price when compared to what the HT3 delivered at half the price in my choice of finish.

I have had HT3's, HT2-TL's, Song Towers, SS8's, Archos, and Exoticas as far as I can remember. I would think the Exotica is closer to the VS 5's in tone and less-aggressiveness. If you want to be more aggressive then the SS8 is the way to go. They pack a wallop. The HT3 is an all-around great performer from deep bass on up to smooth top end. But they are POWER HUNGRY. Not a bad thing, just be prepared that 100 wpc is barely enough to get them energized (everything kicking in and going strong). Think 250 wpc+ , they will take everything you give them at 84 db. But they are still wonderful.

What is your goal for sound that is driving you away from the VS?

Thanks Big Red!

I really am happy with my VR-5's. I have them about 11 or 12 years and just think it might be time for an upgrade. I'm sure much has improved in the speaker industry in the last 12 years.

I currently have the McIntosh MC452 with 450 wpc. They drive just about anything.  :D

Audiophile

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2016, 06:03 pm »
Jim Salk makes some beautiful sounding and looking speakers and they are generally a much better performer than similarly priced dealer sold speakers.

What is your budget?

What are you trying to improve by upgrading?

There is a big price difference between the HT3's and S8's.

Given the amount of money you would potentially be spending, I think a trip to see Jim Salk and hear a bunch of his speakers would be money well spent.  That is most likely the only way you could hear the HT3's, S8's, Exoticas, and Song3's all at once.

Personally, I have never jelled with the various VS speakers I have auditioned or heard over the years and would pretty much take any of the Salk speakers I listed above over the VS speakers.  That said, I don't currently use Salk speakers in my 2 channel setup (I used to a long time ago).  I do use Song Towers for HT.

One last item to note...Jim's customer service is exemplary!  For me, this is as important as the quality/performance of the product.

Best of luck,

George

Hi George,

I really am happy with my VR-5's. I have them about 11 or 12 years and just think it might be time for an upgrade. I'm sure much has improved in the speaker industry in the last 12 years.

I would like to keep budget under $10k.

Hydro

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jan 2017, 05:44 pm »
I own several Salk speakers and consider the Ht-2TL the sweet spot in the line as far as price/sound ratio. That said, with a budget of 10k I would go with the SS-10's that Jim has listed on his "available right now", they are by far the best speaker I have owned or heard. I own two pair of them and have trouble listening to anything else, Ht-2, Ht-3, Supercharged song towers.

Audiophile

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2017, 08:07 pm »
I own several Salk speakers and consider the Ht-2TL the sweet spot in the line as far as price/sound ratio. That said, with a budget of 10k I would go with the SS-10's that Jim has listed on his "available right now", they are by far the best speaker I have owned or heard. I own two pair of them and have trouble listening to anything else, Ht-2, Ht-3, Supercharged song towers.

That could be a possibility. Not ready yet to buy. I want to go on a listening campaign and then have to sell my VS's if that's what I decide. Hopefully they will still be available.

dbx

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2017, 10:56 pm »
Go listen to Jims speakers if that is an option.  I have two models of his which exemplify excellence in home audio speakers.  In both build, and sound.

MichiganMike

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2017, 05:55 pm »

I currently have the McIntosh MC452 with 450 wpc. They drive just about anything.  :D

My SoundScape 10 speakers are powered by McIntosh MC501 amps.  In my experience, McIntosh amps and Salk speakers make beautiful music together.

DEP14

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2017, 01:50 am »
I completely agree on the B+W's being crazy bright.  I spent a lot of time recently with the 802d3's and while better than the previous ones, just too hot for me. 

I do think that the DynAudio's with the Esotar 2 tweeters do a pretty nice job, I don't think they are nearly as bright as the 802d's of any vintage. 

The Focals do some things really well.  I spent some time listening to the 2's a while back. I felt they were pretty accurate and prefered them to the B+W's for sure, I felt that the midrange wasn't quite as warm/full as some others.  I really like big crunchy rock type guitar sounds though. 

Of the above three, I would take the DynAudio's though.  I heard the new Dyn Contour Bookshelves (20's) and thought they were a nice speaker (but pretty pricey for what they can do).

I would likely have Jim build me up a new pair of speakers (considering that now, just making sure my budget is there) over any of the above though.  I owned the SS8's for a while (BRM's) and really enjoyed a lot of what they could do. 

Hard to go wrong with talking to Jim and having him work with you.  I'm considering doing that here soon I hope.

The only other speaker that really shocked me with how good it was was the JBL M2, but you have to use DSP with that and it's more of a system type purchase.  (But was crazy good, a bit bland looking as it's just a black speaker, and it's a horn, but not bright as the upper end JBL horns just are not bright).

But - Salk's are incredibly nice and Jim is equally as good to work with.

« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2017, 10:40 am by DEP14 »