MajikBUSS RevB has been made

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
MajikBUSS RevB has been made
« on: 13 May 2010, 09:07 pm »
Well I needed a conditioner for my amps and after following a few threads on Dave's products I jumped in and bought a RevB.  I had Dave make a few modifications due to placement behind a credenza in the family room; also added Furutech gold 20A IEC and gold Furutech outlets.

I'd been running the amps either direct to the wall (dedicated 20A lines) or through a PS Audio Quintet.  The amps are Odyssey Kismet monos (customized)/HT-3 all in Stratos cases.  Here's some photos:

Forgot to mention, Dave also makes PCs.  That's his 20A PC in the photo (sorry for the blurry photo).

Initial listening impressions are very positive, more to come.

Mark

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: MajikBUSS RevB has been made
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2010, 09:30 pm »

Forgot to mention, Dave also makes PCs.  That's his 20A PC in the photo (sorry for the blurry photo).

Mark

:scratch:  Learn something new everyday..

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2010, 09:57 pm »
:scratch:  Learn something new everyday..
I'm not holding out on you,  I'm just working with some new pieces and parts.  Plus, you have the power cable thing down pretty good yourself  :thumb:

It's always on a low boil over here in Albuquerque.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how to get to Dallas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2010, 10:04 pm »
I'm not holding out on you,  I'm just working with some new pieces and parts.  Plus, you have the power cable thing down pretty good yourself  :thumb:

It's always on a low boil over here in Albuquerque.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how to get to Dallas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dave

I know the first step.

1. walk out the front door.  Get off the confuzer!

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2010, 10:10 pm »
lol

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2010, 10:52 pm »
I know the first step.

1. walk out the front door.  Get off the confuzer!
Thanks, I needed that. 
  :duh:   

Looks like I'll (we'll) be flying into Dallas at 2:00 PM tomorrow.  Gosh, what a struggle it is to get from here to there.  Had the truck all loaded up with diffusers to take to Dallas..................  Diffusers that have been pulled from my crappy website because we (me, another Dave - the foam guy) have been having a heckuva time getting good foam block to cut into product........................ product on hold................

wait... back up a day....

Yesterday, 4:45PM-ish..... I am blowing down the freeway with the back of my truck loaded with diffusers that I have just picked up from Dave, the cutter.  He isn't happy with them, I'm not happy with them, but I'm motoring down the road and I hear:  BANG!!!  One of the bungees holding down the load has decided to commit suicide and painted, sealed diffusers are flying out of the back of my truck and into oncoming traffic.  I can only imagine the look on the people's faces as they see these 2 foot by 4 foot things flying into their way.  I look in the rearview mirror and there are cars and trucks dodging, for the most part, these wavy looking foam apparitions, but a few get run over and explode into clouds of styrofoam bits and pieces..............

I've just talked to Jim, the guy with the kidney stone that was supposed to ride/drive with me to Dallas today to help Danny and Gary set up rooms.....

I think we're gonna make it there tomorrow.......

What a clusterf.........

I'll know more, later.

Dave

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2010, 10:58 pm »
Why would a MajikBuss need a 20A power cord?  :scratch:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2010, 11:25 pm »
Robin robin robin

Where have you been?

Dave says the 20A IEC has more surface area.  That would translate to better elec properties.

I did it on the Mutha.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2010, 11:29 pm »
Thanks, I needed that. 
  :duh:   

Looks like I'll (we'll) be flying into Dallas at 2:00 PM tomorrow.  Gosh, what a struggle it is to get from here to there.  Had the truck all loaded up with diffusers to take to Dallas..................  Diffusers that have been pulled from my crappy website because we (me, another Dave - the foam guy) have been having a heckuva time getting good foam block to cut into product........................ product on hold................

wait... back up a day....

Yesterday, 4:45PM-ish..... I am blowing down the freeway with the back of my truck loaded with diffusers that I have just picked up from Dave, the cutter.  He isn't happy with them, I'm not happy with them, but I'm motoring down the road and I hear:  BANG!!!  One of the bungees holding down the load has decided to commit suicide and painted, sealed diffusers are flying out of the back of my truck and into oncoming traffic.  I can only imagine the look on the people's faces as they see these 2 foot by 4 foot things flying into their way.  I look in the rearview mirror and there are cars and trucks dodging, for the most part, these wavy looking foam apparitions, but a few get run over and explode into clouds of styrofoam bits and pieces..............

I've just talked to Jim, the guy with the kidney stone that was supposed to ride/drive with me to Dallas today to help Danny and Gary set up rooms.....

I think we're gonna make it there tomorrow.......

What a clusterf.........

I'll know more, later.

Dave

:o

mjosef

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2010, 11:54 pm »
Dave says the 20A IEC has more surface area.

Huh? Is that like the Tardis...space expansion inside? WhoWouldaThunk... :scratch:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2010, 12:21 am »
Huh? Is that like the Tardis...space expansion inside? WhoWouldaThunk... :scratch:
If you look at the contact fingers of a 15A connector vs a 20A connector you will see why I personally prefer them.  I tried to guesstimate the contact area of the two connectors and it appears to me that the 20A connector has about 6 times the mating area that a 15A does.  Two completely different approaches to connection.  One of the culprits in A/C noise is microarcing.  A tighter connector with more contact area is a good thing.  20A connectors are manly... sorry ladies.   :)

My Dad, the electrician, said: "Too much contact area is just barely enough", once.  I remembered that.

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2010, 12:23 am »
My Dad, the electrician, said: "Too much contact area is just barely enough", once.  I remembered that.

Dave

That's a great quote.  Thanks Mr. E.   :thumb:  RIP

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2010, 12:41 am »
Robin robin robin

Where have you been?

Dave says the 20A IEC has more surface area.  That would translate to better elec properties.

I did it on the Mutha.

Jason, Jason, Jason,,,,,Big difference in the power potential of the Mutha and the Uber when compared to the MajikBuss which I was led to believe was made for 15a circuits, even tho the components inside could withstand much more. AFAIC, 20A IEC on the MajikBuss is like putting a BB454 engine in a Chevy Vega. And I know how that story goes cuz I've got a friend who owns one.  :roll: 

But far be it for me to say that overkill's a bad thing,,, my system overflows with overkill.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2010, 12:47 am »
I like your friend already.   :D

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2010, 12:58 am »
I like your friend already.   :D

Yeah, he's a bit over the top with it comes to his cars,,,, but he don't know squat about good audio. He still uses a Craig 8-track in his 69 Camaro convertible.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2010, 01:06 am »

Yeah, he's a bit over the top with it comes to his cars,,,, but he don't know squat about good audio. He still uses a Craig 8-track in his 69 Camaro convertible.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

That's ok!  He probably lives in the Green Mountain State.  To me, that's good.  My best (very few) childhood memories are there...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2010, 02:26 pm »

Jason, Jason, Jason,,,,,Big difference in the power potential of the Mutha and the Uber when compared to the MajikBuss which I was led to believe was made for 15a circuits, even tho the components inside could withstand much more. AFAIC, 20A IEC on the MajikBuss is like putting a BB454 engine in a Chevy Vega. And I know how that story goes cuz I've got a friend who owns one.  :roll: 

But far be it for me to say that overkill's a bad thing,,, my system overflows with overkill.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Robin, here is what I am talking about:

The 20 amp unit on the right has contacts that are folded to grip the fingers of the plug.  You are seeing them from the top.  Multiply the contact area by two, because the bottom also grips the contact.  I believe that the best connection is no "connection" but a straight wire.  The IEC 20A is as close as we get.

YMMV

Dave

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2010, 09:45 pm »
I will say this for the 20A IEC, the PC ain't coming loose any time soon.  That is one tight connection compared to the 15A IECs.

Was it overkill, yes...but it's tight.