Portable Bug Zapper

randytsuch

Portable Bug Zapper
« on: 21 Jun 2017, 07:52 pm »
PSA here :)

One of my home jobs is to kill any flies or other flying insects that make it inside.

So I decided to get a little bug zapper, they look like a small tennis racket.  Add a few AA batteries, find your target, push a button on the handle and go kill  :evil:

Can still be hard to kill a fast fly, but way easier than before.  If you make contact, there will be a loud pop, and the bug will hit the ground.  Large bugs may just be stunned/badly hurt.  But they are easy to finish now.  Most bugs will be dead, and you just need to clean up.

I did some research, and bought a Zap Master RMBZ300P from ebay, supposed to deliver 2750 volts.  Didn't measure, but it is zapping anything I manage to hit with it.

BTW, my MIL likes it too, so I just ordered another one for her.  My oldest daughter, MIL and me are the zappers in the house  :green:

Randy

WireNut

Re: Portable Bug Zapper
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2017, 11:16 pm »
  :D sounds like fun. I know my daughter would enjoy one.  :thumb:

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2017, 12:15 am »
It also smells for a bit.

Fried bug smell I guess  :D

The dog doesn't like it, he now runs away when someone picks up the zapper.  The loud pop scares him.

jk@home

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2017, 12:43 am »
We keep one of those on the RV, thinking I bought it from Walmart. Lots of fun. But don't use it on a big wasp unless you are ready to go several rounds. My wife is really not into camping, but if she is sitting outside, she will always be armed with the bug zappin racket.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2017, 10:03 pm »
I use a plastic dustpan (used like an oversized ping pong paddle) for wasps and hornets on the deck.

Very satisfying contact!

Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2017, 10:22 pm »
I saw a gun that shoots a small amount of salt for killing flies. That might be fun it it has a range over 3 feet?

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2017, 12:07 am »
btw - have a couple of those tennis racket bug zappers for quite a bit of time (Harbor Freight sell them).  I think mine uses two D batteries.  When I first got it I made the mistake of touching the inner grid.  I'm not sure I ever jumped that high and my finger smelled burnt for quite a bit.  So they probably ramp up the voltage so beware.

randytsuch

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2017, 12:18 am »
btw - have a couple of those tennis racket bug zappers for quite a bit of time (Harbor Freight sell them).  I think mine uses two D batteries.  When I first got it I made the mistake of touching the inner grid.  I'm not sure I ever jumped that high and my finger smelled burnt for quite a bit.  So they probably ramp up the voltage so beware.

Mine claims 2700V, so yeah they ramp it a bit  :o

You could do a nasty prank with one of these things.

Had a bunch of little fruit bugs yesterday around a peach that had gone bad.  Fun times  :lol:

EDIT
I guess you can mod them to put out higher voltages, maybe you could go wasp hunting then  :lol:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-15-million-volt-Bug-Swatter/

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2017, 12:27 am »
Mine claims 2700V, so yeah they ramp it a bit  :o

You could do a nasty prank with one of these things.

Had a bunch of little fruit bugs yesterday around a peach that had gone bad.  Fun times  :lol:

EDIT
I guess you can mod them to put out higher voltages, maybe you could go wasp hunting then  :lol:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-15-million-volt-Bug-Swatter/

I never really looked at mine (in the garage right now) but I'm not sure what the specs are or if listed (probably is).  I figured when I first got it and zapped a few things what could a couple of D batteries do.  I got quite a shock literally.