IDA-16 will not power on

rustydoglim

Re: IDA-16 will not power on
« Reply #20 on: 22 Sep 2020, 08:36 pm »
Can you guys calm down?  I didn't say the expected life of Nuprime product is 5 years.
I am an engineer, I told you want the engineering spec would be like.  This goes the same for all brands and all products.
A switching power supply life expectancy is generally 5 years, but could work for many years more, depending on the usage condition.
If the power supply's life expectancy in a warm room versus air conditioned room is different.

rustydoglim

« Reply #21 on: 22 Sep 2020, 08:38 pm »
I hope my Evo DAC has more than five years....

Your Evo DAC is a low power device.  It doesn't have a high power switching power supply.

goutamdev

« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2020, 06:37 am »
Ok, so support has said that based on the description they recommend to chnge the power supply. Ther are asking me if I could buy from the nouem online store and change myself? Is it a case of simple plug and play that I could do at home?
As I'm based in London and no longer have a dealer here can anyone advise best way forward?

swifri

« Reply #23 on: 27 Sep 2020, 09:38 am »
Seems 2b easy. Shop power amp here. Check here which board has 2b exchanged. Unplug and unscrew, exchange the board, screw and plug. Done. Take care 4 grounding. @rustydoglim?

Doublej

« Reply #24 on: 27 Sep 2020, 12:39 pm »
Pity the thing is built only to last 5 years. I thought the rule of thumb these days was to build things to last 10 years.

From pictures on the net it appears that the board is screwed to chassis and that all wires are hooked up to the board using connectors. It looks like there is plenty of room to get at it so it should be a straightforward replacement.

If you are not comfortable doing it yourself you could ask friend to help you with it or take it to a repair shop. If you are going to take it to a repair shop I would do that before buying a replacement board. It's possible that the failed component on the power supply board could be repaired for a few dollars (plus labor).

rustydoglim

« Reply #25 on: 30 Sep 2020, 12:27 am »
Ok, so support has said that based on the description they recommend to chnge the power supply. Ther are asking me if I could buy from the nouem online store and change myself? Is it a case of simple plug and play that I could do at home?
As I'm based in London and no longer have a dealer here can anyone advise best way forward?

Changing the power supply is very easy, all you need is a screw driver.  After you open the cover, you just replace the board that looks the same as the replacement board.

rustydoglim

« Reply #26 on: 30 Sep 2020, 12:37 am »
Pity the thing is built only to last 5 years. I thought the rule of thumb these days was to build things to last 10 years.

This is not how engineering works.  There are hundreds if not thousands of parts in a modern electronics.  Even for old solid state or tube amp, how can you design a tube that last 10 years? Tube has to be replaced. We have to respect the law of physics.
There are capacitors, resistors, MOSFET, DAC chip, so many of them from so many companies. This is a commercial product so we use commercial parts.
Even if it is possible to source military spec parts, imagine hundreds of parts from from military suppliers, then your IDA-16 could cost $50,000.

Recently I had email exchange with a customer who still has his NuForce Ref 8.5, and that amp is 15 years old! 

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #27 on: 30 Sep 2020, 03:10 am »
Heard back from Bob at TDSS today and he said that in my IDA-16 the amp module failed. He’s getting a replacement ordered, but now I’m worried about my power supplies lifespan.

This whole ordeal combined with this thread is worrisome.

- Woody

rustydoglim

« Reply #28 on: 30 Sep 2020, 10:49 pm »
Your power supply could work for 15 years, like many have.  I tried to explain like an engineer, but people don't seem to get it.
Sorry, next time I will just behave like a business guy, and tell you "all is fine".
Just kidding, Nuprime is an engineering company, we will always tell it like it is.
As I have already said, whether you buy from Nuprime or another brand, your switching power supply is designed with 5 years lifespan. But this is engineering spec. Most of them can last over 10 years.

Ok, how about this well known event that shows the difference between engineering spec and actual life span:
The Opportunity Rover that was sent to Mars was designed with a 3 months lifespan (https://abcnews.go.com/US/nasa-ends-mission-mars-rover-opportunity-15-years/story?id=61046744).  But it lasted 15 years!

Why?
1) NASA engineers were too conservative with the estimate and over engineered the rover.
2) Components that were expected to fail but didn't and keep on going.

The parts in your commercial products such as resistors, capacitors, ICs, obviously are not designed to withstand the harsh condition of Mars and expected to last that long, but engineering spec is always conservative. Many of you who own a hard drive have the same experience. I have several identical model hard drives in my NAS, one failed shortly after one year (where the warranty expired), but the other two continues to run for 5 years and still going.

goutamdev

« Reply #29 on: 1 Oct 2020, 08:17 pm »
Thanks! That's great rusty.
I think you guys are doing an amazing job !