IDA-16 will not power on

shadowboxer

IDA-16 will not power on
« on: 26 Aug 2020, 05:54 pm »
My IDA-16, which has worked flawlessly up to this point, now refuses to power on.  When plugged in, there is a red LED visible on the front.  When I press the on/off button, I hear the first relay click.  Usually there is a very slight delay, and then the LED changes to blue with another audible click; however, this no longer occurs.

I looked through postings here and was unable to find this exact problem.  I did see some other power-related issues discussed with this or similar devices, so I tried plugging the IDA directly into the wall (bypassing the suppressor/conditioner), removing all inputs, disconnecting the speakers - but nothing has made a difference.  I also pulled and checked the fuse aside the IEC jack, which, of course, was fine.

I have also turned it off and on via the rear switch and unplugged it for an extended period before trying to start it again.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Eric

rustydoglim

Re: IDA-16 will not power on
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2020, 09:49 am »
For timely support or service, please contact support@nuprimeaudio.com or use the HelpDesk.  I visit this forum several times a week but I am not the support staff. By the way, I think the power relay board might have failed.

Jason

goutamdev

Cant Switch Ida-16 on!?
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2020, 01:13 pm »
My Ida-16 won't switch on. The red standby light turns on and then I hear the click noise when I try to switch it on, however the blue light doesn't come up...Any ideas?

rustydoglim

Re: Cant Switch Ida-16 on!?
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2020, 02:06 pm »
Check the remote control if it is in Mute. Try to unplug the AC cord just in case the relay switch is stuck.
If you still can't power it on, time to contact distributor for service.

goutamdev

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2020, 07:16 am »
Yeah, looks like might need a visit to the dealer. Who's the dealer now in UK?

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2020, 07:52 pm »
Contact NuPrime support, the UK distributor has been terminated. We are still looking for UK distributor.

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2020, 03:16 am »
I’m having this exact same issue on my new-to-me IDA-16. Not real thrilled when I’ve had it less than a week.

I’ve tried unplugging and plugging back in. Switch on back off and on. Remote. Front panel buttons. I just have the red light. Indicator won’t change but I hear the relay click. What gives?

- Woody

Ictwoody

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2020, 03:18 am »
I just got home to find my IDA-16 doing this exact thing and I tried everything you did. Not happy right now.

- Woody

Samac

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2020, 05:37 pm »
I’m having this exact same issue on my new-to-me IDA-16. Not real thrilled when I’ve had it less than a week.

I’ve tried unplugging and plugging back in. Switch on back off and on. Remote. Front panel buttons. I just have the red light. Indicator won’t change but I hear the relay click. What gives?

- Woody

This has happened to me twice with my IDA-16. The power supply has been replaced twice. Last time it took out a capacitor on the CMA capacitor module as well.  :o

Cheers,

Scott

Ictwoody

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2020, 07:11 pm »
This has happened to me twice with my IDA-16. The power supply has been replaced twice. Last time it took out a capacitor on the CMA capacitor module as well.  :o

That's what I was afraid of. I emailed the support@ email addres, and then I opened a ticket via the website. The person who responded, Kimi, was basically no help. Said, "Dear Sir, We think your IDA-16 should be a damaged power supply - Kimi"

With nothing actionable. I replied with, "Okay, you mean a defective power supply. I did nothing to damage it. Please advise on next steps."

I haven't heard back.

If I need to send it off, fine. Just give me an RA number and tell me what to do. I'm more annoyed with the support at the moment.

- Woody

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2020, 10:07 pm »
The Help Desk is read and responded by various staff, including distributor and service center partner staff.
It is used by people from all over the world, customers & distributors.  So you can't assume that the help desk is for USA only.

If we can't confirm the source of the problem, we assign the ticket to support staff in Taiwan factory to help determine the problem. So, please excuse Kimi's command of the English language, or his fluency in customer service.
His response is meant for the US distributor and service center staff (TDSS). They will take over the ticket, contact you and instruct you where to ship the item, etc.

By the way, there is a 12 to 15 hours time difference between Taiwan and USA.  Kimi replied at 6pm Taiwan time, which is 12 hours ago.  I notice that the ticket wasn't assigned to the USA distributor (normally the help desk system would do that when you mentioned that the country you resided in is USA). Perhaps there is a glitch in the software after recent update. Anyway, I will assign the ticket to Summit Audio.

rustydoglim

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2020, 10:31 pm »
This topic is the same as another one in this forum. And I have already replied to your question. I will close this thread.

Ictwoody

« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2020, 11:28 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Jason. I'm sure my response to Kimi was more out of the frustration of the situation. I'm sorry for that. I know there is always a risk buying a used piece of equipment... but it's a bummer it happened so soon after I took position and I was really enjoying the IDA-16 with my Harbeth's. I'm sure we'll get it resolved and it will be making music again soon enough. I'll just have to be patient.

- Woody

rustydoglim

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:30 pm »
Thanks for your understanding.  If the amp was used often, it has been more than 5 years so the switching power supply could have reached its natural end of life.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:37 pm »
If the amp was used often, it has been more than 5 years so the switching power supply could have reached its natural end of life.

:o

Samoyed

« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:50 pm »
I hope my Evo DAC has more than five years....

seikosha

« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep 2020, 05:48 pm »
Thanks for your understanding.  If the amp was used often, it has been more than 5 years so the switching power supply could have reached its natural end of life.

Wait, what?  Are you telling us all that the expected life of a Nuprime amp is a little more than 5 years?

Ictwoody

« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep 2020, 06:09 pm »
Wait, what?  Are you telling us all that the expected life of a Nuprime amp is a little more than 5 years?

That would be disheartening. Seems like there should be a better expectation for longevity on a piece of gear than that. I know we're a disposable culture... but dang.

- Woody

goutamdev

« Reply #18 on: 18 Sep 2020, 08:06 am »
Ok have raised a support ticket. Keen to know what the issue is. Has anyone on this thread managed to find what was wrong and what the fix is? :(

Ictwoody

« Reply #19 on: 18 Sep 2020, 04:46 pm »
I'm shipping mine out to Bob at TDSS today. Hopefully I'll have an answer next week.

- Woody