Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Johnny Guitar
« on: 3 Apr 2024, 06:04 am »
Is a weird freaking movie.

mcgsxr

Re: Johnny Guitar
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2024, 07:16 pm »
Weird like "I want my 90-120 minutes back" or weird like "man, that was a trip and people should consider watching it"?

Or perhaps weird like "wtf was that, I have no idea"?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2024, 11:13 pm »
Weird as in I went in expecting a John Wayne / John Ford type western and the film stock plus sets look like that's what you're going to get. 

But then as the movie unfolds it turns out to be something combining high camp, operatic intensity and film noir type cynicism.  Oh and a massive undercurrent of psychosexual tension between the 2 lead female characters. 

Kind of like a cross between The Searchers and Sunset Boulevard. 

AllanS

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2024, 12:53 am »
Sounds like 3 movies I need to add to the watch list.

VinceT

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2024, 01:33 am »
Weird as in I went in expecting a John Wayne / John Ford type western and the film stock plus sets look like that's what you're going to get. 

But then as the movie unfolds it turns out to be something combining high camp, operatic intensity and film noir type cynicism.  Oh and a massive undercurrent of psychosexual tension between the 2 lead female characters. 

Not often I have use Google to understand what someone is talking about...lol

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2024, 06:40 pm »

I think I saw it a long time ago. Has/had a bit of a cult following. The sexual tension part makes sense given it's Crawford and McCambridge. Pretty unconventional cast as a whole if you think about it. Nicholas Ray was an interesting director.