My favorite vintage speakers...

veloceleste

Re: My favorite vintage speakers...
« Reply #160 on: 17 Feb 2019, 06:59 pm »
Allison One speakers.

Don_S

« Reply #161 on: 17 Feb 2019, 08:17 pm »
I owned Dahlquist DQ-10s.  I built solid walnut stands for them a little taller than the factory version.  Unfortunately the speakers and stands were stolen by someone who probably had no idea what they were stealing.

I also owned stacked Large Advents.  And now have one of the original pairs for sale locally on Craigslist.  Probably one of the best condition Advents available. Refoamed, tweaked drivers, new caps. Beautiful walnut, perfect grills, and huge nostalgia factor for me.  I hate to sell them but they are too nice to sit in the closet. They deserve to be appreciated and used.

Mudslide

« Reply #162 on: 17 Feb 2019, 11:03 pm »
JBL L100s.  Wish I still had 'em.   :cry:

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #163 on: 19 Mar 2019, 12:08 am »
stacked large advents.  for some reason i'd always under-rated the advents, perhaps the ubiquitousness and generic looks?  in 2018, a friend gave me his pair as he downsized to modern plastic speakers.  what the hell, i tried them.  the liveliness and dynamics were addicting.  another friend found a 2nd pair for me for $100 (plus extra for a re-foam).  voila! the stack is magic.  basically a large tall speaker with two punchy 10" woofers and 2 tweeters - the height helps expand the sound-field.  and even doubled are still fairly easy to drive (my 300b SET amp clicks well with the stack).

at today's prices for large advents, the stack has to be about the best speaker bang for the buck that there is, imho.

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #164 on: 19 Mar 2019, 01:05 am »
Hey Now,

KEF Reference 103.2s.

Finest kind,
Chris

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #165 on: 19 Mar 2019, 12:18 pm »
I like only two vintage speakers, Carver Amazing and Polk SRS.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #166 on: 19 Mar 2019, 01:03 pm »
talk about "crossovers"  :D

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #167 on: 19 Mar 2019, 01:14 pm »
The Polk xover are big, all that face plate ((

fredgarvin

« Reply #168 on: 19 Mar 2019, 04:09 pm »
Phone photo with bad lighting but, Klipsch Quartets are sublime in my room.

veloceleste

« Reply #169 on: 19 Mar 2019, 07:30 pm »
Phone photo with bad lighting but, Klipsch Quartets are sublime in my room.

Hi,
I'm guessing the platforms are to bring the tweeter closer to ear level.  Do you lose any bass from not having reinforcement/floor bounce with the speakers raised? I'm an extended heritage Klipsch fan. Thanks.

fredgarvin

« Reply #170 on: 19 Mar 2019, 09:33 pm »
Hi,
I'm guessing the platforms are to bring the tweeter closer to ear level.  Do you lose any bass from not having reinforcement/floor bounce with the speakers raised? I'm an extended heritage Klipsch fan. Thanks.

Yes, raising them 10" is the right height from my chair. Having a solid front on the stand, I believe, gives reinforcement . I haven't measured them but I haven't noticed a drop in bass. I did place a 1/4" tile under the front of each because in my room I noticed that the bass increased quite a bit when I was standing up. Tilting them slightly improved that problem.

Rex81

« Reply #171 on: 5 Apr 2019, 12:19 pm »
I've enjoyed owning a number of great vintage speakers. My favorites being Ohm F (fully restored), Polk SRS 2 (fully upgraded), and the sleeper set that I can't seem to bring myself to let go of: Monitor Audio MA-3.

leica m3

« Reply #172 on: 16 Aug 2019, 04:29 pm »
My favorite vintage speaker that I own are a pair of ADS L470/2 which I just recapped. They are being powered by a pair of 13EM7 minibloks.

Coming in second place is the Allison CD-6, I picked up a pair for the price of a cheap dinner, after I reformed, recapped and replaced all of the grills they sound fantastic.

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #173 on: 16 Aug 2019, 04:47 pm »
Finished my vintage EV build this summer. I ended up with a nice pair of EV 12TRXC triaxial drivers that I built bass reflex enclosures for. I first had some old 1950's 12TRXB drivers that needed help to extend the highs, thus a helper tweeter. With the newer 12TRXC drivers, they are not needed and are unhooked (just filling the hole now).
Dave

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #174 on: 16 Aug 2019, 05:12 pm »
  Quad 63 for me.

charles

mhconley

« Reply #175 on: 16 Aug 2019, 05:24 pm »
Cerwin Vega 313 or 12-TR. I’ve owned both. I love my Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen. III HSE; at 18 years old I guess they could be considered vintage.

Martin

JakeJ

« Reply #176 on: 16 Aug 2019, 05:32 pm »
A recent acquisition:

Excellent working and cosmetic condition.

Doublej

« Reply #177 on: 16 Aug 2019, 09:36 pm »
JakeJ,

Those are some minty looking Allisons. How do they hold up against current day loudspeaker offerings?

Saturn94

« Reply #178 on: 16 Aug 2019, 11:58 pm »
I bought a pair of ADS L1290 in 1986 and greatly enjoyed them about 27 years before passing them along to a friend who still enjoys them today. :D

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #179 on: 17 Aug 2019, 12:15 am »
I just sold my Design Acoustice D-12 speakers to a family friend.  I've had them since '78 and hate to let them go.  My best friend's son in law lives in LA and fell in love with the "look".  I told him not to be deceived, they were actually damn good speakers.  At least they'll be in a system where they will be played.   

You can see them peaking out from behind the LS9's