Tube Karma - Pair of 12AX7 Re Issue Mullards Ends 2400 June 30 2013 (eastern)

Captainhemo

I have a pair of   the re-issue mullard 12ax7's that I am not using so they could use a new home.  They  came with my amp  ,  the fellow  I purchased it from said they have  very low hours

Standard rules apply...must be a member in good standing and have at least 10 posts.   Pick any  # you  want  and post it  here before  2400  eastern   on June 30/2013.  I'll  put the  choosen #'s  in  a container,  shake em up ,  and have my neice   reach in and  pull one out to determine the winner.

Good luck :)

-jay
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2013, 06:20 pm by Captainhemo »

TrungT

Thanks Jay  :thumb:

Maritan

Thanks for the karma offering!  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Number 7 for me.
If I win I'll try them in a Jolida phono stage and see how they stack up against the new JJs.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
51 - in memory of James G.

Alexdad54

27 for me! :thumb:

roscoeiii

13. C'mon lucky 13.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I see the test values on the box.  How was that measured on what meter?  I went through a batch of these and noticed that they are all over the place in both conductance and emission when tested with Amplitrex at fixed bias mode.  And, yes, they were all "new" NS.   Send them to me first and I will test them and forward them to the winner with the test result.  I typically do fixed bias test and run auto if mu values are too low.  Then I will list the actual grid voltage reached and recommended voltage to show how much bias is needed. 

jparkhur

roadkingraw

With the knowledge that they would be tested then sent that is an awesome deal.  Even if they weren't, I have someone that could test them.  My number choice will be....

paul79

• Industry Participant

rajacat

• Washington State

Captainhemo

I see the test values on the box.  How was that measured on what meter?  I went through a batch of these and noticed that they are all over the place in both conductance and emission when tested with Amplitrex at fixed bias mode.  And, yes, they were all "new" NS.   Send them to me first and I will test them and forward them to the winner with the test result.  I typically do fixed bias test and run auto if mu values are too low.  Then I will list the actual grid voltage reached and recommended voltage to show how much bias is needed.

I'm  honestly not sure how they were tested as   the numbers were on the boxes and  the  tubes/boxes came with  my wamp.   I can  send them to you  first,  that is not a problem  and I am sure the new owner would appreciate that.  . 
If you want to know how they were tested,  I can probably contact the  previous owner and find out where he got them... I do know he  bought   my Shuguang EL34-Bs from "The Tube Store"  but I don't see any of their stickers on the Mullard boxes.

-jay

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables

Thanks,
Pete

woodsyi

• Volunteer
I'm  honestly not sure how they were tested as   the numbers were on the boxes and  the  tubes/boxes came with  my wamp.   I can  send them to you  first,  that is not a problem  and I am sure the new owner would appreciate that.  . 
If you want to know how they were tested,  I can probably contact the  previous owner and find out where he got them... I do know he  bought   my Shuguang EL34-Bs from "The Tube Store"  but I don't see any of their stickers on the Mullard boxes.

-jay

Jay,

I wasn't criticizing you in any way.  I was more or less just venting my frustration at tube rating by sellers.  I have gone through lots of tubes and I have had duds with even "reputable" sources.  I am not saying that some folks are intentionally misleading customers.  I really think they don't know much better.  Most of those mutual conductance tests don't mean much without bias information.  I have had tubes that tested fine on my calibrated vintage Hickok mutual conductance tester that sounded like crap and I am not talking about micro-phonics.  Anyway, it drove me crazy enough that I plunked down the big bucks and ordered the Amplitrex AT1000.  I had to wait a few months for it to arrive.  I finally have the means to find useful information on my tubes.  I ended up chucking a few tubes that I thought were good.  :duh: 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
double post

bside123

Number 8

Thank you!

Captainhemo

Hey,  no worries,  I didn't take it like that at all, understood what you were saying.
I am curious  ,  now that you  have the Amplitrex AT1000,  if you buy tubes and find   something  that is  bad and was supposedly tested before it was shipped,  are   vendors good about  replacing it ? I can see the possiblility of  some guys    being diffiuclt when   they are told that the  tubes they tested as good  are actually  not so good .

Thanks again for offering to   do the testing  for the new owner,  much apprieciated  .  Will definately send to you   :thumb:

-jay

jhm731

6- thanks!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
88 - Thanks!