Speaker Karma

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Speaker Karma
« on: 16 May 2013, 09:20 pm »
Not sure if this is in the "karma" spirit - or more the white elephant exchange - but here goes:

In a fit of sympathy for the seller - or sheer stupidity - take your pick, I bought these speakers two years ago (?) at the Capital Audio Fest for $200.  I thought they were cheap & maybe I could use them as back surround channels as the height was about right.  Anyway - here's what I know about them:

Produced in mid-90's as a prototype by Luminous Audio. Appear to be transmission line floor standing speakers w/ MCM Audio 15-555 6.5 inch Poly treated paper cone driver & SEAS H535 1" aluminum dome tweeter.  I was told that the cross over is a 4th order derived "with help from Albert Von Schweikert"  Standard binding posts accept bare wire, spades, banana plugs, etc.

Frequency response approximately 38-20K w/ 87db efficiency.

Dimensions approximately 42 H x 10.5L x 9.5W and I'm guessing approx. 50lbs each.

All drivers working - no rattles / hums / buzzes etc.....one of the 6.5 drivers was binding up, so I replaced it with a new original one.

Ultimately I didn't use them for a home theater set up.  I made a half-hearted attempt to sell them, but as they are not a known commercial product, I don't think there's really a market for them.

So here's my offer : if you want them, they are yours for free.  If you don't want to use them as speakers, the driver's could be repurposed for another project, or perhaps even the cabinets. 

The catch is you have to come & pick them up.  At most I might be convinced to bring them to you if you live reasonably close & offer me a beer or something for my trouble.  I am located on the western end of Arlington Virginia.

As for payback - I could use a functioning lawnmower of any kind........or perhaps I could take of your hands some A/V white elephant you have.  But really, no compensation is expected, the karmic payback being mostly to know that someone is going to get some use out of them - either in whole or for parts. And not to be reminded of my dumb move whenever I go into the closet.....

I don't think folks are going to be beating down the door for them, so I guess first come, first serve.  Just PM me.

Sorry for the craned neck - can't figure out how to rotate the first two images.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Speaker Karma
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2013, 09:28 pm »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2013, 09:38 pm »
Thanks Steve!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2013, 08:19 pm »
Been a week & not a peep.  Perhaps I undersold this thing.  There's got to be at least $100 - $200 worth of parts in this thing.  C'mon folks - free!

If there's no interest by the end of the month, I guess Goodwill get's it.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2013, 08:42 pm »
Heck, I only got one response to the Cryoset Karma so don't feel bad.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2013, 10:58 am »
Been a week & not a peep.  Perhaps I undersold this thing.  There's got to be at least $100 - $200 worth of parts in this thing.  C'mon folks - free!

If there's no interest by the end of the month, I guess Goodwill get's it.

Pickup only is limiting.  Only a handful of ACs in your area I'd imagine.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2013, 10:58 am »
Heck, I only got one response to the Cryoset Karma so don't feel bad.

Yeah, but Jim's story is tough to beat!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2013, 04:10 pm »
Pickup only is limiting.  Only a handful of ACs in your area I'd imagine.

You're probably right on that - but I guess I had hoped against reason that AC folks here or in other parts might pass the word along to some local here who might be interested....

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2013, 05:10 pm »
You're probably right on that - but I guess I had hoped against reason that AC folks here or in other parts might pass the word along to some local here who might be interested....

Actually tried  that  exact thing for you... mentioned them to a buddy  in Va  but he wasn't interested ,  sorry
I'm surprised a DIYer  down  your way hasn't  picked them up  even  just to use the  parts :scratch:

-jay

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2013, 09:29 pm »
Thanks for the try. If I wasn't drowning in stereo stuff I would at v least do something creative like take the drivers out and get a bookshelf cabinet or something from Dayton audio etc and make something.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2013, 03:52 am »
Alright folks - last chance - going to Goodwill on Monday if no response by end of tomorrow...... 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2013, 01:17 am »
How about removing the drivers and "karma-ing" them alone?
I've love to have the speakers, would be great for so many fun projects.
But in the end, STL is too far away from VA.

But I'd bet there's quite a few ACers that would love to play with the bare drivers (and crossovers).
Just an idea.

Bob

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #12 on: 3 Jun 2013, 02:32 am »
Unfortunately if I did that I'd be stuck with the big enclosures as those are something Goodwill definitely would not take alone, which means they'd end up in the trash and eventually in a landfill somewhere.  Which is a shame because they are not flimsy enclosures, but quite thick / heavy MDF. 

So I guess the "kharmic" thing is to give them to goodwill and hopefully they can make a bit of money selling them to someone who might actually use them.

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jun 2013, 02:35 am »
Lemme check with a friend in the area.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jun 2013, 02:53 am »
Thanks - I'll give it a stay of execution for a few days more.  Been sitting in my basement for over a year, so a few more days won't kill me.  But the end of this week will be my limit.

roscoeiii

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jun 2013, 03:16 am »
Texted my buddy, and will PM you with his response.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jun 2013, 11:48 am »
Understood. I can respect that, well done.  :thumb:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2013, 03:58 am »
Has found a home with an AC member during the recent MAAC meet at my place. Nice to see it get a home and not suffer the shame of Goodwill / Salvation Army!

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2013, 04:07 am »
Must be glad you  held off for a couple extra weeks    :)

Sencha

« Reply #19 on: 17 Nov 2013, 11:00 pm »
Anyone who buys a pair of speakers because the felt sympathy for the seller deserves to be in the good karma section. Congratulations to you sir.