Bryston Headphone Interface

Vipers

Re: Bryston Headphone Interface
« Reply #500 on: 18 Dec 2011, 10:19 pm »
James. could you tell me how long the cable is on the grado ps-1000's.i'm considering them and sennheiser 800's. i just listened to a pair of grado ps-500's might consider them too, but they only have a 5 ft. cable. i need at least 10 ft.

Just found this spec, looks like the cable is 9ft (3m) and apparently the 15ft extension comes in the box  :thumb:

Specifications:
Sensitivity: 98 dB/mV
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
Headphone Type: Full Size
Connector Type: 1/4
Impedance @ 1kHz: 32 Ohms
Detachable Cable: No
Cord Length: 9 ft. (3m)
Cord Type: Straight Y
Coupler Size: Large
Ear Coupler Type: Full-Size
Acoustic Seal: Open
Driver Type: Dynamic

What's In The Box:
Grado 1/4"-to-1/8" mini-plug adapter
Grado 15 foot extension cable
Grado Labs warranty insert

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #501 on: 18 Dec 2011, 10:25 pm »
James. could you tell me how long the cable is on the grado ps-1000's.i'm considering them and sennheiser 800's. i just listened to a pair of grado ps-500's might consider them too, but they only have a 5 ft. cable. i need at least 10 ft.

Won Ton On: Not a fan of the Grado sound, but would urge you to consider adding the Audeze LCD-2 to your possible buy list. Had the HD800, which is very good, but found the LCD-2 a more enjoyable headphone.

Dave

SoundGame

« Reply #502 on: 18 Dec 2011, 10:29 pm »
Won Ton On: Not a fan of the Grado sound, but would urge you to consider adding the Audeze LCD-2 to your possible buy list. Had the HD800, which is very good, but found the LCD-2 a more enjoyable headphone.

Dave

Hi Dave - more on your impressions of the differences would be interesting.  What about the Grado sound do you not like? 

Marius

« Reply #503 on: 18 Dec 2011, 10:35 pm »
Hi,

Soon I'll be in the market for new Headphones, and would like to hear from you all, which HP benefits the most from the BHA, and which would come closest to the Esl experience.

Had the privilege to play through the Jecklin Floats http://www.quad-musik.de/html/jecklin.html, but lost touch with them long time ago and they are not made anymore. Now I have the space to restart with Headphones. Would love to need the BHA....

Marius

won ton on

« Reply #504 on: 18 Dec 2011, 10:58 pm »
Thank's guys i asked because the web site dosen't list the length.i'll have to see if there is a audeze dealer in s ont. or are they only available on line. i've read good things about the hi fi man too,not sure on the dealer for them either.also are they not comeing out with a lcd-3.i did like the sound of the ps-500's currently i'm using sennheiser 580's and looking to upgrade           Thank's again

won ton on

« Reply #505 on: 18 Dec 2011, 11:00 pm »
ha i see it takes 100 posts to be a full member.i was kind of wondering about that

DaveNote

« Reply #506 on: 19 Dec 2011, 12:11 am »

Hi Dave - more on your impressions of the differences would be interesting.  What about the Grado sound do you not like?

SoundGame: I own SR80s and did own Grado's former top end RS-1s. Used them for years, having bought them over Sennheisers. But when I bought my HD800s, I couldn't stand the Grados - too bright, too forward, a scattered soundstage. Personal opinion, of course, and I haven't heard the PS-500 or PS-1000.

The HD800 is one of the best on offer. I gave mine away. Excellent definition and soundstage. Very accurate. But takes a lot of volume to get any reasonable bass. Bottom line: Frankly boring to listen to.

The LCD-2 was a revelation for me. Very accurate, but with a narrower soundstage. Bass is about as good as it gets. Clear, defined, not the least bit flabby and very deep - all at reasonable volumes. Headphone listening is an intimate activity, and the LCD-2 is very intimate sounding, indeed.

Gave the HD800 to a young man doing pro work because it is best for that application. I knew I wouldn't be listening to them with the LCD-2 in hand.

Here are typical reviews that seem to agree with the impression I have:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20096214-47/audeze-headphones-redefining-the-state-of-the-art-again/

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audeze/1.html

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #507 on: 19 Dec 2011, 12:38 am »

Yes about 8 feet but I have the extension cable as well.

james

won ton on

« Reply #508 on: 20 Dec 2011, 02:04 am »
question to whom ever might know. if i was to get a headphone would it be best to plug it in to my bcd-1,bda-1 or the bp-26. i would be using the rca jacks as i'm using the balanced outputs for my 4bsst2                  thanks

won ton on

« Reply #509 on: 20 Dec 2011, 02:04 am »
that would be a headphone amp

DaveNote

« Reply #510 on: 20 Dec 2011, 02:32 am »
question to whom ever might know. if i was to get a headphone would it be best to plug it in to my bcd-1,bda-1 or the bp-26. i would be using the rca jacks as i'm using the balanced outputs for my 4bsst2                  thanks

I assume you mean where to connect a headphone amp. I have connected mine either to my BDA-1 or BP-26. I use whichever sounds best.

Dave

MellowVelo

« Reply #511 on: 23 Dec 2011, 11:41 pm »
Does Bryston have plans at some point to produce a preamp with XLR tape out? That would be great for connecting to the BHA-1. Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #512 on: 24 Dec 2011, 12:25 am »
Does Bryston have plans at some point to produce a preamp with XLR tape out? That would be great for connecting to the BHA-1. Thanks.

Hi

No plans for a new preamp at this point.

James

smatsui324

« Reply #513 on: 24 Dec 2011, 08:37 am »
James,
I have a few questions regarding the BHA-1.

I preordered a few weeks ago through my dealer David Michael Audio.  I think he spoke with you in regards to delivery timing.  You gave him an approximate time in January.  Is that no longer valid since the changes that you mentioned earlier to the circuit have delayed things?

Would the power specs that you quoted (4100mW at 32 ohms using the balanced outs and low gain setting) be higher with the high gain setting?

You sent David a brochure for the BHA-1 and the information listed the balanced male XLR outputs as the standard and female XLR outputs as optional.  I ordered the female XLRs.  The industry standard or atleast all commercially available balanced headphone amps that I know of have female outputs.  You may want to make the female outputs the standard and male outputs the option IMO.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #514 on: 24 Dec 2011, 12:41 pm »
James,
I have a few questions regarding the BHA-1.

I preordered a few weeks ago through my dealer David Michael Audio.  I think he spoke with you in regards to delivery timing.  You gave him an approximate time in January.  Is that no longer valid since the changes that you mentioned earlier to the circuit have delayed things?

Would the power specs that you quoted (4100mW at 32 ohms using the balanced outs and low gain setting) be higher with the high gain setting?

You sent David a brochure for the BHA-1 and the information listed the balanced male XLR outputs as the standard and female XLR outputs as optional.  I ordered the female XLRs.  The industry standard or atleast all commercially available balanced headphone amps that I know of have female outputs.  You may want to make the female outputs the standard and male outputs the option IMO.

Hi

Yes I believe we will be in production in January. This new circuit caught us a little by surprise but was so good we just had to stop the presses and start again. We will have to retest all the specs once we have a production version but the new circuit concentrates on lower distortion over higher output.

The standard in the industry is that signal always flows from a Male XLR to a Female XLR so I was a little taken back when I saw that many of the current headphone amps on the market having a Female output as standard :duh:  Anyway we felt we should stick with the standard as seen on all other products imploying XLR balanced connections? :scratch:

James

smatsui324

« Reply #515 on: 24 Dec 2011, 02:03 pm »
Hi James,
Thanks for your reply.  You may want to reconsider the headphone outputs being male XLRs as the standard.   I have 7 headphones including the Audeze LCD3, LCD2 r1, LCD2 r2, HifiMan HE6, Sennheiser HD800, LA7000 (Lawton Audio modded Denon D7000), and AKG K340 modded by Headphile.  All of my headphones are setup for both balanced operation via a two 3 pin male XLRs or one 4 pin male XLR and also I have 1/4" adapters cables for single ended operation.  Each one of my headphones has an aftermarket headphone cable costing between $300 and $600 each and all of them are setup for a female XLR on the amp.  Many headphone enthusiats have similiar setups.  So, I would say that nearly 100 percent of us head-fiers are setup for female XLRs on our amps.  I'm suggesting that you make the standard for the BHA-1 female XLRs to avoid unhappy customers who may assume that the standard is female XLR output headphone jacks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #516 on: 24 Dec 2011, 02:34 pm »
Hi James,
Thanks for your reply.  You may want to reconsider the headphone outputs being male XLRs as the standard.   I have 7 headphones including the Audeze LCD3, LCD2 r1, LCD2 r2, HifiMan HE6, Sennheiser HD800, LA7000 (Lawton Audio modded Denon D7000), and AKG K340 modded by Headphile.  All of my headphones are setup for both balanced operation via a two 3 pin male XLRs or one 4 pin male XLR and also I have 1/4" adapters cables for single ended operation.  Each one of my headphones has an aftermarket headphone cable costing between $300 and $600 each and all of them are setup for a female XLR on the amp.  Many headphone enthusiats have similiar setups.  So, I would say that nearly 100 percent of us head-fiers are setup for female XLRs on our amps.  I'm suggesting that you make the standard for the BHA-1 female XLRs to avoid unhappy customers who may assume that the standard is female XLR output headphone jacks.

Any idea why the headphone amp community does it differently than the rest?? :scratch:

james

smatsui324

« Reply #517 on: 24 Dec 2011, 02:49 pm »
Not sure why but since you are still in the pre-production stage, I would think that it is not too late to change your standard.  Just think if your dealers order the standard BHA-1 for display and their customers bring their headphones to try in the store and they can't plug them in because of the male XLR connector on the amp.  That will not go over well in the headphone community.

smatsui324

« Reply #518 on: 24 Dec 2011, 02:58 pm »
James,
My preorder through David Michael Audio is for the BHA-1 with external power supply.  Please make sure he ordered the female XLRs for me as I asked him to.  Thank you.

Steve

SoundGame

« Reply #519 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:51 pm »
Any idea why the headphone amp community does it differently than the rest?? :scratch:

james

Perhaps there will need to be a professional and consumer version of the BHA-1, with the professional having the male XLR out and the consumer having the femaile XLR out?  Headophile's are a community all their own, I'm finding.