Current retail price for 7bsst2monos

zugisland

Current retail price for 7bsst2monos
« on: 21 Jul 2011, 10:52 pm »
James interested in the above but before I head I into a dealer wanted to know suggested msrp. Thx

kingdeezie

Re: Current retail price for 7bsst2monos
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:04 pm »
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BY7BSST2

Audio advisor only sells items at MSRP. They are for those people who don't have a local retailer. That price is for ONE mono block.

Looks like 10,200 is the MSRP of the monos.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:16 pm »
Hmm...would the 14B be the better value?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:25 pm »

Not if you want monos.

D.D.

vegasdave

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:31 pm »

95Dyna

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2011, 01:21 am »

You get what you pay for.  The 7's are about $700.00 more but they have twice the power supply capacitance plus the placement benefits of the monos.

95Dyna

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2011, 01:24 am »
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BY7BSST2

Audio advisor only sells items at MSRP. They are for those people who don't have a local retailer. That price is for ONE mono block.

Looks like 10,200 is the MSRP of the monos.

Amazing.  I bought my 7's in June of '09 for $6,750.00 for the pair from a very reputable authorized Bryston dealer.  they are the exact same amps that Audio Advisor is selling for $10,200.00 2 years later.

vegasdave

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2011, 01:56 am »
Amazing.  I bought my 7's in June of '09 for $6,750.00 for the pair from a very reputable authorized Bryston dealer.  they are the exact same amps that Audio Advisor is selling for $10,200.00 2 years later.

SST2s?

vegasdave

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2011, 01:56 am »
You get what you pay for.  The 7's are about $700.00 more but they have twice the power supply capacitance plus the placement benefits of the monos.

Twice the power supply capacitance...what does that mean exactly?

srb

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:36 am »
Twice the power supply capacitance...what does that mean exactly?

Greater energy storage usually results in increased headroom for peak transients for most amplifiers.  Increased capacitance can also further smooth the slight ripple on the power supply's DC output.

This extra capacitance might have less of an effect if one of the Torus power conditioners are used because they have transformers with energy storage technology.

Steve

95Dyna

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:42 am »
SST2s?

Yes, squared series S/N's 01850 and 01851 which means they have the latest power supply and capacitors making them identical to what is currently shipping from Bryston.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:43 am »

This extra capacitance might have less of an effect if one of the Torus power conditioners are used because they have transformers with energy storage technology.

Steve

As do newer 7BSST 2, I believe.

D.D.

vegasdave

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:46 am »
Yes, squared series S/N's 01850 and 01851 which means they have the latest power supply and capacitors making them identical to what is currently shipping from Bryston.

Heh, you guys don't wanna know what I paid for my 4BSST 4 1/2 years ago...

vegasdave

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:47 am »

Greater energy storage usually results in increased headroom for peak transients for most amplifiers.  Increased capacitance can also further smooth the slight ripple on the power supply's DC output.

Steve

Thanks for the info. So does that mean the 14B is an inferior product?

zugisland

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:51 am »
Let not forget that Bryston is a Canadian compnay and being such the currency translation along with the increase in copper prob chops up that cost difference !...The US dollar has dropped about 30% vs the Canadian currency in that time frame thus accounting for that price difference over the last few years.

srb

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2011, 04:28 am »
Thanks for the info. So does that mean the 14B is an inferior product?

The differences are very small, but if you can acommodate the space requirements of two amplifier chassis you might see a corresponding very small increase in sound quality when pushing it with demanding recordings.

But a lot also has to do with the power requirements of the speakers.  With 600W @ 8 ohms and 900W @ 4 ohms, both amplifiers clearly have a lot of headroom with moderately efficient speakers.

I would be more than happy to own the 14BSST2 and if I had to choose, that would probably be my personal choice to keep the count of physical boxes a bit lower.  I was just offering an explanation to the question of would there be anything to be gained going with a pair of 7BSST2 beyond being able to locate them closer to the speakers.

Sometimes a small technical improvement like this is not audible in some system combinations.  But again, if you have the room for them, the price difference between these particular amplifiers is not a lot, so why not?

BTW, my personal dream is a 4BSST2.  I figure if 300W/ch @ 8 ohms isn't enough, I probably have the wrong speakers.

Steve

vegasdave

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jul 2011, 04:58 am »

The differences are very small, but if you can acommodate the space requirements of two amplifier chassis you might see a corresponding very small increase in sound quality when pushing it with demanding recordings.

But a lot also has to do with the power requirements of the speakers.  With 600W @ 8 ohms and 900W @ 4 ohms, both amplifiers clearly have a lot of headroom with moderately efficient speakers.

I would be more than happy to own the 14BSST2 and if I had to choose, that would probably be my personal choice to keep the count of physical boxes a bit lower.  I was just offering an explanation to the question of would there be anything to be gained going with a pair of 7BSST2 beyond being able to locate them closer to the speakers.

Sometimes a small technical improvement like this is not audible in some system combinations.  But again, if you have the room for them, the price difference between these particular amplifiers is not a lot, so why not?

BTW, my personal dream is a 4BSST2.  I figure if 300W/ch @ 8 ohms isn't enough, I probably have the wrong speakers.

Steve

Cool. Thanks for pointing that out. I could go for either one, really. Well, I'll tell you, the 4B is a terrific amp, I'm proud to own one, even if it's just a plain SST. It's very reliable and sounds great. If and when I get either the 14 or 7B, I'm gonna probably keep the 4B as a back up amp, or for a secondary system...

95Dyna

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jul 2011, 12:51 pm »
I agree with Steve that the extra capacitance will come in to play if you are playing demanding material into a difficult load.  The latter is one of the reasons I went with 7's over a 14B.  My Infinity 9 Kappas are notorious amp killers.  Although 6-8 ohms nominal they dip to .8 in the low
30 hz range with some nasty phase angles.  I was playing a dermanding piece from Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" entitled "Janie Runaway" the other day.  Cranked it up to about 2:00 and just marveled at how everything just stayed put in the sound stage.  Those 7's are the audio counterpart of a big pair of brass balls (hiding behind a silver faceplate).

zugisland

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:33 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback I just bought my7bsst2's ..and have been riveted to my listening chair since..I traded a nice ayre v5xe and k1xe preamp for them ..so i did have good stuff but wanted to try the mono route since i had picked up a nother pre amp in a muisc first passive preamp ...anyway I almost got deterred from buying them cuz i read and reread MFremmer.s damning review in stereophile on them......and went ahead anyway with the deal...I guess I will always wonder what the parasound jc1's sound like in my system having not heard either one prioe to purchahce...so has aanyeone either heard the JC1's or owned them and gone the other way and bought the &bsst2's...or done what i did bought the 7Bssts despite his trashing...?

SoundGame

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:46 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback I just bought my7bsst2's ..and have been riveted to my listening chair since..I traded a nice ayre v5xe and k1xe preamp for them ..so i did have good stuff but wanted to try the mono route since i had picked up a nother pre amp in a muisc first passive preamp ...anyway I almost got deterred from buying them cuz i read and reread MFremmer.s damning review in stereophile on them......and went ahead anyway with the deal...I guess I will always wonder what the parasound jc1's sound like in my system having not heard either one prioe to purchahce...so has aanyeone either heard the JC1's or owned them and gone the other way and bought the &bsst2's...or done what i did bought the 7Bssts despite his trashing...?

WOW - A BIG congrats to you on the 7B-SST/2 amps.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed.  They are the best thing in the Bryston amp line other than the 28B's and from all I've read there is only a limited difference there, which only shows itself with challenging speaker loads. 

Here is a review from a Canadian audiophile magazine that speaks to the disappointing Stereophile review - and essentially dismisses it - a good and recommended read:

http://www.innerearmag.com/reviews/amplifiers/Bryston_7B_SST.shtml