repair of RM-30 downward firing passive radiators

Regalma

Re: repair of RM-30 downward firing passive radiators
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2019, 08:51 pm »
What do you mean by the Mega Woofer. Is it one of these two? I understand that Brian specified the 28 oz magnet version.

ZAKski288

« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2019, 09:00 pm »
You will need to change the 4 driver if you change from the 28 oz to the 40 oz. You will cover the 4 holes where the 6.5 passives ( bottom of speaker ) add the 10” passive to the side. Zak

Regalma

« Reply #22 on: 10 Oct 2019, 09:05 pm »
I am completely confused. I thought that both the 28oz and 40 oz were upgrades from the original.

What did my speakers come with?

ZAKski288

« Reply #23 on: 10 Oct 2019, 09:09 pm »
Brian produced RM 30 with the 28oz woofers , Maybe a year or two before the 40oz woofers became available. He then offered  the 40oz woofers to RM 30 owners as an upgrade.

G E

« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2019, 09:12 pm »
I am completely confused. I thought that both the 28oz and 40 oz were upgrades from the original.

What did my speakers come with?

You likely have 28oz magnets in your 6.5" woofers.  There were some improvements made to them over the years, of memory serves.

The Megawoofers have 40oz magnets and are a featured part of the Series 2 upgrade. They are your play at Misco.

You can keep your current woofers installed until you get the new ones.  I did this as I was not certain I would upgrade the woofers.  I'm glad I did.

ZAKski288

« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2019, 09:16 pm »
Regalma, on your speakers what do you phase plugs look like, wood or aluminum, that will determine what speakers you have. Wood phase plug standard woofers ( 28oz). aluminum phase plug ( 40oz ) woofers.

Regalma

« Reply #26 on: 10 Oct 2019, 09:19 pm »
Mine are the wooden ones. I have asked Misco for a quote on the 40 oz magnet speakers. Will post here once I get it.

G E

« Reply #27 on: 10 Oct 2019, 09:50 pm »
Mine are the wooden ones. I have asked Misco for a quote on the 40 oz magnet speakers. Will post here once I get it.

If you get them, pick up a couple spares for "just in case".

If there is a break for quantity purchase, see if  there is interest here for a group order.

Set a deadline for orders at MISCO with a specific CSR, mentioning this forum.  Might get some $$ off.

Regalma

« Reply #28 on: 11 Oct 2019, 05:06 pm »
First, thanks Zak for all your help.

Misco is checking on inventory. He thinks that they still have 8 voice coils and plenty of yokes. He is not sure since they have moved since the last time they built them.

So maybe someone else can go together with me. That should reduce the per unit cost. Will you know when I find out more, especially price and lead timel.

tbrooke

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jul 2020, 03:24 am »

Regalma What did you do I believe that my RM-30's have the same problem -- I did a sweep to set up a surround system and the bass sounded like a mootor starting -- I couldn't really feel anything but I am sure that is the problem-

Not sure I want to do the series 2 upgrade -- I have the external OXO

Regalma

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jul 2020, 04:17 am »
I did the upgrade. Not sure it's an improvement. Easiest thing is to find someone who can recone the passives.
BTW i am selling my upgraded RM30s.

Bob Stark

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jul 2020, 04:42 am »
Helpful information.

With the 28 ou. magnets, the phase plugs are blunt.  On the 40 ou. magnets, the phase plugs are bullet shaped.

I've replaced the 28 with the 40 ou. magnet woofers and Brian said there is no difference in the sound.  However, there is a difference in the 40 ou. will not get overdriven like the 28 can--the 28 makes a loud blat sound.  Not good for the longevity of the woofer.  After switching to the stronger magnet, I never had that problem.  I listen to several great bass players such as Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Marcus miller, Brian Bromberg, etc. They will definitely excite the 28 ou. woofers into overload at times.

I've also done the MK II upgrade to the 10" passive on the bottom side of the cabinet and plugging the holes of the old passives after removing them.  It is a tedious, and time consuming job but the quality and power of the end result is easily worth the trouble.  I no longer have the 30s but have a very fine set of 40s that I love.

Bob

tbrooke

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jul 2020, 01:19 pm »
I reached in and in the back radiator the surround has spots where it is definitely gone and all of them have soft spots that may be tears. The woofers have bullet shaped phase plugs that feel like they are aluminum so I believe that I have the 40 oz woofers. In either case I have a pair of subs so bass shouldn't be a problem. So it looks like just pulling out the old 10 inch and putting in the passive 10 inch - Going to order them now.

With the external crossover it looks like it is looks like it is just adding a capacitor - I just have to figure out where

GeorgeAb

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jul 2020, 09:35 pm »
With the external crossover it looks like it is looks like it is just adding a capacitor - I just have to figure out where

Right here, one side of capacitor goes to + terminal and other side has red wire going to L pad.  With external crossover should be a lot easier.  You may consider choosing a fairly high tolerance 10uF capacitor to keep everything matched up. Here is a schematic showing difference between RM-30M and Series II.

If you want to keep as RM30M, send me a PM as I have four passive 6" in perfect condition.  They came out of my RM-30 when I went to Series II. That said, IMO the series II conversion was an improvement; less bass power, but more controlled.