You'll either love it or hate it

irishpatrick33

Re: You'll either love it or hate it
« Reply #20 on: 17 Aug 2009, 04:54 am »
To love it or hate it is nobody's call....... unless, you build those for our (AC) approval.
What we (I) think doesn't really matter as long as it makes you listen to music and enjoy it in the same time. Speakers I own are for my own pleasures and listening preferences and not to pleased the masses. As to creativeness and effort, you score points to be sure.
Adding sub like REL Cube or building OB sub of your own would elevate the WOW factor and listening experience.

Cool project and happy listening :wink:

Mariusz :thumb:
Mariusz
No I wasn't looking for approval. The love it or hate it part was in reference to the speaker possibly being viewed as a bastardization. For one thing, the speaker plays to the weakness of the open baffle. It also seems to me that omnidirectionals aren't highly thought of by many, with some exceptions like MBL and Duevel.

Anyway, I couldn't decide on a speaker. I liked the Duevel planets. I also liked the idea of building Zigmahornets. I also longed for the dipolar sound found in magnestatics/electrostaics and open baffles. Long story short I just combined some of those ideas.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2009, 08:22 am by irishpatrick33 »

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 17 Aug 2009, 05:54 am »
Very interesting... :)

How is the phase plug thing held onto the pole piece?

For some reason I always thought the Jordan had a one piece cone. Obviously it doesn't :)

zygadr

« Reply #22 on: 17 Aug 2009, 05:57 am »
I love it!!!!!....................even though the idea was already proven by Tesla many years ago :green:....................oh???...................it's a speaker??.............oops .........sorry :duh:

irishpatrick33

« Reply #23 on: 17 Aug 2009, 06:13 am »
Very interesting... :)

How is the phase plug thing held onto the pole piece?

For some reason I always thought the Jordan had a one piece cone. Obviously it doesn't :)
I just recessed a bolt into the wooden rod. The magnet holds it down. You must have the right size rod, because the magnet is not flat. It's shaped like a funnel. So the rod just gets enough of the funnel's top to be a stable surface for it. I might need to sand down the rod more around the pole piece. If I don't have the phase plug positioned absolutely perfect... the pole piece will get caught on the phase plug. There might be a micrometer between the phase plug and the pole piece.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2009, 08:22 am by irishpatrick33 »

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #24 on: 17 Aug 2009, 03:42 pm »
It made me smile.

You realize that on the listening axis you are in the null where the front and rear waves cancel don't you?

You will just get a odd sense of space and some room reflections with no real on axis output.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 17 Aug 2009, 04:44 pm »
Mr. Patrick, Is it safe to assume your inspiration is the Deuvel Planets?

Bob

EDIT: Nevermind, I just re-read the thread.  :oops:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #26 on: 17 Aug 2009, 09:10 pm »
But I expected the omnidirectional aspect to make listening pretty even regardless of listening position.

Here are links to a few speakers that might interest you.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/Radials.htm

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=119

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=114

Lin

irishpatrick33

« Reply #27 on: 19 Aug 2009, 03:51 am »
It made me smile.

You realize that on the listening axis you are in the null where the front and rear waves cancel don't you?

You will just get a odd sense of space and some room reflections with no real on axis output.
Yes, I realize the sweetspot is the null zone. It's not as bad as you might think. Or perhaps my taste is odd.

I originally planned on doing something to combat that. I wanted to use one of Deckart's ideas. I planned on building a resonance cavity on the bottom side.

Unfortunately that made an already timeconsuming build more ridiculous. I planned on building the full range single driver omnidirectional open baffle with a resonance cavity on the bottom. Building it would have been an absolute nightmare. I had no idea how I would build a resonance cavity similar to Deckart's in the shape of a cylinder.

At one point in time I contemplated using something like the Cornu spiral horn as a open resonance chamber. That would have been cool. Again, very hard. I wonder whether it would still qualify as an open baffle in a Cornu with a hole punched through the back.

tubamark

« Reply #28 on: 26 Aug 2009, 06:48 pm »
WTF? Yes, I think I have built the first FULL RANGE SINGLE DRIVER OMNIDIRECTIONAL OPEN BAFFLE.

Technically, it can't be both dipole AND omnidirectional.  It's probably is pretty omnidirectional at high frequencies, though.
I have played with pointing the null at listening position, and relying on reflections for the soundfield; can produce some interesting effects on some material.

You'll probably get better imaging (though even less bass) by getting them away from the walls.