Help! Unable to connect to Roon on Salkstream III

Saturn94

Help! Unable to connect to Roon on Salkstream III
« on: 3 Nov 2020, 02:34 am »
Tonight I was listening to multichannel music via Roon on my Salkstream III.  Everything was working fine until I tried to play another multichannel SACD file that I've played many times before.  On the first track it would play about 15 seconds then skip to the next track.  This happened every time I tried to play the first track.  I rebooted the Salkstream, but it still did the same thing on that track.  Thinking the file was messed up, using my Windows 10 PC, I deleted the SACD file from the Salkstream, did a Library Cleanup in Roon, then transferred the file again to the Salkstream from the original rip I have saved on my PC.  Oddly, the transfer stopped a few times before completing.  After a few attempts, the file finally transferred successfully.

Now when I try to bring up Roon using my iPad, iPhone, or PC, it won't connect to the Roon Core on the Salkstream.  Roon sees the Salkstream, tries to connect, but then says connection failed.  I tried rebooting the Salkstream a few times, and rebooted my router, but still cannot connect to the Roon Core.

Something odd I've noticed; the Salkstream is now taking MUCH longer to reboot than normal.  Normally it would reboot within 2 minutes, but now it's taking 5 minutes or more to reboot.  Once it does reboot, I can access the files on it from my PC, and even play files stored on the Salkstream using another program on my PC, Airplay works from my iPad and iPhone, but still cannot connect to the Roon Core. 

Help!

jsalk

Re: Help! Unable to connect to Roon on Salkstream III
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2020, 03:03 pm »
Email me and we'll get that straightened out.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2020, 03:53 pm »

- Jim

Email sent. 😀

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2020, 11:56 pm »
Thanks to Jim Salk’s excellent service, my Salkstream III/Roon is back up and running.  :thumb:

Long story short, diagnosis; failing/failed internal HDD.

Thank you, Jim!
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2020, 05:17 pm by Saturn94 »

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2020, 09:46 pm »

- Jim

Hi Jim.

I got your email earlier about fixing the error messages tomorrow (Wed 11th).  I responded letting you know I’ll send the login info you need tomorrow morning (Wed 11th).

I’m posting this here because Outlook is having issues with email today (I can’t receive or send emails) and I don’t know if my email response actually reached you.

Thanks.

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2020, 02:44 pm »
I got it.

- Jim

Gyosa

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2020, 09:17 pm »
Not a SSD ?

Bk

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2020, 02:45 am »
Not a SSD ?

Bk

No.  The Salkstream III doesn’t come with an SSD.

DEP14

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2020, 02:45 pm »
No.  The Salkstream III doesn’t come with an SSD.

Upgraded mine to a SSD, it's a bit faster now. 

Sounds the same... 8)

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2020, 06:03 pm »
Upgraded mine to a SSD, it's a bit faster now. 

Sounds the same... 8)

I considered switching to a SSD, but it would have been at least 2.5X more expensive (finances real tight right now),  and after discussing with Jim Salk and doing a little research online, I decided to stick with an HDD for now.

rlee8394

« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2020, 10:13 pm »
I use a SSD for the OS and a 4TB spindle drive for the data. Boots fast and has plent of capacity for music and movies. Separating the data from the OS is convient when you need to upgrade or replace the OS and not affect the data.

-Ron

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2020, 11:18 pm »
I use a SSD for the OS and a 4TB spindle drive for the data. Boots fast and has plent of capacity for music and movies. Separating the data from the OS is convient when you need to upgrade or replace the OS and not affect the data.

-Ron

I’ve been thinking about this lately.  The drive that failed housed the OS, Roonserver, and my music collection.  I now wonder if it would be better and/or easier to recover from a drive failure if I separated OS/Roonserver from the music files.  Maybe something to consider in the future.

Something else this experience highlighted is make sure you have backups of everything!  I did, thank goodness! :thumb:
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2020, 12:32 am by Saturn94 »

rlee8394

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2020, 02:53 am »
SSDs are fairly cheap and if I were to do it again I would use a pair of SSDs configured as a mirrored pair (RAID 1) for the OS. Then I would use a large HDD, size depending on your needs, for the data. Backup your data drive regularly. The mirrored pair provides redundancy.

For those interested, I built my streamer in an HDPLEX HD 5 case. The system is totally silent due to the passive copper cooling bars. In addition to the system and data drives I also have a DVD drive installed. I run VortexBox that has a web interface to manage the system. It is based on Fedora. The beauty of this system is that you can drop your CD or DVD in the drive and it automatically rips it to your data drive. Backup is as easy as plugging in a portable USB HDD and click the Backup icon. Since it is a Linux system, I also installed Plex server and Roon server to handle video and music respectively. Been running this for years and I find it to be very reliable and low maintenance. Don’t know why VortexBox doesn’t get the love that other streaming apps get.

-Ron

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2020, 04:53 am »
SSDs are fairly cheap and if I were to do it again I would use a pair of SSDs configured as a mirrored pair (RAID 1) for the OS. Then I would use a large HDD, size depending on your needs, for the data. Backup your data drive regularly. The mirrored pair provides redundancy.

For those interested, I built my streamer in an HDPLEX HD 5 case. The system is totally silent due to the passive copper cooling bars. In addition to the system and data drives I also have a DVD drive installed. I run VortexBox that has a web interface to manage the system. It is based on Fedora. The beauty of this system is that you can drop your CD or DVD in the drive and it automatically rips it to your data drive. Backup is as easy as plugging in a portable USB HDD and click the Backup icon. Since it is a Linux system, I also installed Plex server and Roon server to handle video and music respectively. Been running this for years and I find it to be very reliable and low maintenance. Don’t know why VortexBox doesn’t get the love that other streaming apps get.

-Ron

Lol, this post is way above my pay grade.  :o  :oops:

It sounds like a sweet setup.  :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2020, 07:20 pm »
Seems pretty basic to me.   What's a server?

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2020, 07:23 pm »
Seems pretty basic to me.   What's a server?

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

rlee8394

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2020, 01:32 am »
I also ha e a few Raspberry Pi units with DAC hats running Roon endpoints so I can stream to different  locations in the house

Saturn94

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2020, 03:25 am »
I also ha e a few Raspberry Pi units with DAC hats running Roon endpoints so I can stream to different  locations in the house

Now I know who to ask if I have an IT question.  :thumb:

rlee8394

« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2020, 05:46 pm »
No problem.

DEP14

« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2020, 07:12 pm »

-Ron

Thinking I will have you build my next music server.  But, given my unabashed fandom of mid-80's Huey Lewis and the News, could mine be built using a Flux Capacitor instead of a linear power supply?

#Goldie Wilson for Mayor... oh heck, Goldie Wilson for President!