VR4 SR MKII extreme makeover...from great to really great..

PMAT

Re: VR4 SR MKII extreme makeover...from great to really great..
« Reply #40 on: 8 May 2009, 02:55 am »
Hey! My wife thinks I'm old and deaf, but she cant hear a thing and her ears work fine!  aa

douglesc

« Reply #41 on: 8 May 2009, 07:11 am »

Well at least I got to see the pictures before they were pulled. Gavin you're getting a great pair of speakers. I know. I have a pair of VR4's that were modded to VR5, of course that is the older VR5, and no they are not as good, probably not even close but not a dog either.............we'll see if Albert says anything???  My now old VR5's had extra thick new end caps made.  They are over 1 1/4" made of dark red cherry. NICE
I AM NOT HAPPY with mr. altec but I do think there was a little over reaction also. I DO not blame Albert for not wanting the pictures there, and that is what it really comes down to.  As someone that has done some speaker work myself I am very guarded about my secrets (and I do have a few).
As far as no circuit board being used I can tell you they work for amps and preamps etc. BUT THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD USE ONE FOR A SPEAKER.
As far as cheap parts in the crossover that mr. altec said.............NO WAY, I know those long green resistors were Mundorfs and Probably the 3 capacitors in a row were Mundorf too although I am not sure. Mundorf IS ONE OF THE BEST CAPACITORS OUT THERE.

What gets me about mr altec is that he invades the thread, SAYS UNTRUE things Like cheap and other things, pretty much ruining it for others and then goes what's the matter, free speech, just my opinion, stuff like that.
Well that is all I have to say for now.

JackD201

« Reply #42 on: 8 May 2009, 07:20 am »
Who else missed the depth charge sized V-caps. I didn't know $1,200 for a pair of caps was "cheap".  aa

keith

« Reply #43 on: 8 May 2009, 09:12 am »
Jack,

agree on the V-Caps TFTF ... when I saw them I was thinkin there goes a pretty good CD Player right there.  :lol:  And that was just for one speaker.  :duh:

MichiganMike

« Reply #44 on: 8 May 2009, 01:25 pm »
I too enjoyed seeing the photos before these were pulled.  I regret these photos are no longer available, but respect the reasons for withdrawing these.  It was fun to get a small glimpse behind the curtain of how performance improvements are achieved as one moves up the Von Schweikert product line.  I lack the knowledge to offer any informed comments on the virtues and value in speaker and crossover design and components, but appreciate exchanges that may enlighten me and enjoy listening to the results.   

When sharing the deliberations that went into the decision to select a speaker or other component, this creates a vulnerability to criticism.  One of the reasons I participate in this forum is the opportunity to share in other's experiences, opinions and decision making.  It is unlikely that I will ever be able to upgrade from my VR 4JR to VR5 speakers, but I enjoy the vicarious thrill of reading about another enthusiast's deliberations, excitement while awaiting the new speakers and assessment when listening to them.  Gavin, thanks very much for sharing your experience.  I hope you will continue to post your candid observations.

mhconley

« Reply #45 on: 8 May 2009, 04:21 pm »
I too am glad I was in here to see the photos before they were pulled.  I have lusted after Von Schweikert speakers for the last several years that I have indulged in this hobby.  The photos just stirred that lust.  I hope to one day hear a pair, let alone own one.  I have time and again thought about selling my Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.4s and picking up a used pair of VR 4 JRs.  I would love to hear a pair but that would probably push me over the threshold.

My dream speakers are VR4/VR5’s while my cost is no object, lotto jackpot would probably lean toward VR9/VR11 territory.   I love Parasound Halo gear and would be tickled to hear some VR4/VR5s driven by a Parasound Halo JC 2 / dual JC 1 setup.  Unfortunately this economy has me being a little more fiscally reserved than normal.  I am hoping the economy and my new side business will help me out on the VSA front.

Enjoy the speakers and just shine the naysayers and flame inciting muckrakers.

Martin

JackD201

« Reply #46 on: 8 May 2009, 04:35 pm »
Jack,

agree on the V-Caps TFTF ... when I saw them I was thinkin there goes a pretty good CD Player right there.  :lol:  And that was just for one speaker.  :duh:

Or a pretty darned good turntable. That's an SL-1200 Mk2 with a cart  :P

Sorry guys, inside joke. I've been trying to get Keith to go vinyl for a looooooooooong time  aa

mhconley, your time will come. In the meantime, your paradigms make for very good company :)

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #47 on: 8 May 2009, 07:50 pm »
You are right Gavin.  VSA are great speakers.  I wish I could afford a pair.  I guess I will just go back and listen to my Altecs. 

Maybe as I get old and deaf I will by a pair of VSA.

Enjoy your “anniversary cost-no-object” speakers.

Lee  :green:

Maybe as I get old and deaf I will by a pair of VSA.  Not sure which is worse...being old and deaf or young and stupid.  Thanks for the props however, audio_blunder; I do plan to enjoy the VR5 Anniversaries.  When you finally free yourself from the minimum wage thing, maybe you could borrow enough from relatives to buy a pr. of used VR1s.  Now...as I make my exit, and if my back would allow it, I would bend over so you could give me a big goodbye smooch.  Good luck young fellow and please get back on your meds. 

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 8 May 2009, 07:58 pm »
There are more pictures coming and thank God, they will be non-controversial shots of the finished product and maybe even a couple of Albert standing next to my freq. response curve on the monitor.  No more candid shots of all that cheap crap that VSA insists on using on the speakers innards :nono:.  Heck I'll even post some pix right here of the anniversaries in their new home.  So stay tuned all you "misguided" VSA fans.

mfsoa

« Reply #49 on: 8 May 2009, 10:42 pm »
Gavin,

Thanks for posting the pics.

The criticism reminds me of a thread on another forum discussing the Unifield IIIs -

They figured out Albert's secret, down to the PartsXpress part #s for the cabinets, which they say were unmodified, and the $100 or so worth of drivers!  :lol:

Let 'em think what they want.

Enjoy your fabulous new speaks!!

-Mike

htradtk

« Reply #50 on: 9 May 2009, 01:07 am »
Gavin,

Great thread!! I wish I could be there when you crank them up with your Mac's!! For everyone else out there, I've had my Annies for 6 months now. Believe me, the sound is UNBELIEVABLE despite how cheap the crossovers look. Heck, I don't care how they look, YOU CAN'T SEE THEM ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!! The bad thing is, Gavin has to go through another 400 hours of break-in. :( Have fun Gavin, will chat soon, Have a great weekend!

Henry

audio_builder

« Reply #51 on: 9 May 2009, 02:24 am »
Just to inform those that may be interested, I have received a few very unprofessional and opinionated emails from Mr. Von Schweikert. 

Even though Albert runs a “$30 million company and has two engineering degrees and 42 rave magazine reviews and has sold over 43,000 pairs of speakers” the emails contained no valuable information as to the reasoning for the low quality of crossover parts in his $28,000 speaker.

In all truth, Albert was more interested in personal attacks than talking audio although Albert did offer up some information as to how I could fix my Altec speakers.  I graciously declined.

Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore. :green:

JackD201

« Reply #52 on: 9 May 2009, 03:57 am »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder thus value is also determined by he that beholds that object. I think there can be no argument there. Why not just state your opinion that the speakers according to your calculations should cost less than this amount and be done with it if indeed, that is what your opinion is? Nobody is selling you a pair and certainly nobody is trying to convert you. This is a user's circle not a cult. We aren't fan boys either and we do tell Albert what we like and don't like in his speakers. The reason the guy has been around so long is that he takes the criticisms and finds engineering solutions to address them. Frankly if he did so using duct tape and badger hair I couldn't care less. I just want my finished product the way I want it.

Here's a CHALLENGE I throw to the bean counters who assail commercial products solely on the parts lists without taking into consideration how in the end they satisfy their owners:

For you bean counters out there, why not do some investigating about your other possessions like how much the fabric, thread and zipper on your jeans cost? How about the leather and rubber in your shoes? Go further and find out the gate prices of the food you eat compared to what you pay for at your local grocery ? How about the cost of ingredients at your favorite restaurant? 

Now think hard. Feeling screwed? Part and parcel of the "Parts List World View".

So Mr. Audio Builder. Let me know if you decide to sew your own clothes, build your own shoes and grow your own food. If by some chance you already do please tell us how you ever find the time to actually listen to music.

Holli82

« Reply #53 on: 9 May 2009, 04:32 am »
Audio Builder

I have had the pleasure and privilege of meeting Albert on several occasions.  Unprofessional is not what I think of when I hear his name. I can say without reservation he loves what he does and is a passionate about music .  There is no doubt that he pours his heart and soul into his speakers. If you feel his that his components are overpriced, enjoy your current speakers.  The rest of us will smile and appreciate Albert's efforts.  When you get old and deaf take go buy some Wilson's.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 9 May 2009, 11:43 am »
Just to inform those that may be interested, I have received a few very unprofessional and opinionated emails from Mr. Von Schweikert. 

Even though Albert runs a “$30 million company and has two engineering degrees and 42 rave magazine reviews and has sold over 43,000 pairs of speakers” the emails contained no valuable information as to the reasoning for the low quality of crossover parts in his $28,000 speaker.

In all truth, Albert was more interested in personal attacks than talking audio although Albert did offer up some information as to how I could fix my Altec speakers.  I graciously declined.

Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore. :green:

One last volley then this guy will assume his rightful place in my life.  I read the message that Albert sent to mr. wizard and it was chocked full of information regarding the crossovers, cabinet construction, etc.  I had sent Albert a copy of a PM I received from mr. wizard with it's laundry list of criticisms around VSA speakers.  Albert addressed each one point by point in infinite detail so for this loon to continue to describe the parts as low quality tells me he either has a personality disorder or a plate in his head.  There's a back story here that I will not go into but suffice it to say that mr. wizard has a "beef" with VSA speakers and it involves an DIY tube amplifier from mr. wizard's shop.  People like mr. wizard are nothing new to Albert Von Schweikert; I'm sure he has run into folks over the years who have been critical of his designs so mr. wizard is nothing more than a rock in the shoe of Albert's life.  It's a pretty sad case actually.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2009, 02:59 pm by es347 »

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 9 May 2009, 12:45 pm »
Gavin,

Great thread!! I wish I could be there when you crank them up with your Mac's!! For everyone else out there, I've had my Annies for 6 months now. Believe me, the sound is UNBELIEVABLE despite how cheap the crossovers look. Heck, I don't care how they look, YOU CAN'T SEE THEM ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!! The bad thing is, Gavin has to go through another 400 hours of break-in. :( Have fun Gavin, will chat soon, Have a great weekend!

Henry

Hey there Henry,

I know all about the break in period having gone through it with VR4s but I'm told the Anniversaries will pass the VR4 SR MKIIs up in about 50 hours.  I can't wait to hear them with 400+ hrs. on them after those drivers and cheap crossovers start loosening up.  And great choice in music...Fagen's Nightfly.  I've got everything he and Walter have recorded and then some.  Also a couple of promo cds of Fagen solo stuff.  If you are interested I can burn you a copy.

You have a great weekend too.

Gavin

Delacroix

« Reply #56 on: 9 May 2009, 12:50 pm »
Good folks of the VSA forum: We are here to discuss audio and in the course of these discussions we may disagree.This is normal. However we may not resort to insults, barbs, or accusations of each other's motives or levels of professionalism. I have sent a private note on this matter to posters I believe are stepping over the line. As Facilitator I can  move threads to the wastebin but I trust we can all behave in a manner that will make this unnecessary. Please remember the spirit of this forum which is one of the best on the web for serious audio discussions but which will only remain so if we all work to keep that spirit alive. If you need a reminder of the guidelines, see: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=37305.0  Many of us want to know how Gavin's upgrade is proceeding and it would be a shame if we could not share this experience through the forum. Peace.

Delacroix

bentknee

« Reply #57 on: 9 May 2009, 01:36 pm »
   Thank you Delacroix. Many of us have enjoyed this forum because it is such a refreshing change from the other audio forums. As Delacroix and I can both attest a big part of what started this group was the nastyness of other forums.  There are going to be posts that are are at best not in good taste. The key is not to pour gas on the fire. If we do not get into pointless arguments those who like that sort of thing will go elsewhere and our enjoyable experience will continue and grow. Hobbies are supposed to be fun and I am thankful for those who have made this group both fun and informative. Let's keep it going for years to come.

Bless you all, Bob

WGH

« Reply #58 on: 9 May 2009, 04:28 pm »
Gavin,

I'm following your upgrade with great interest, thanks for posting the pics. The faux marble Albert adds to the VR5 is a brilliant idea, I just may glue some in my VR2's.

Have you thought about the inaugural play list? Will you go with vinyl for the first song or a CD? And what will the first cut be?

Wayne

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 9 May 2009, 06:50 pm »
Hello delacroix/bentknee,

I admire the grace you both display in your posts and wish I could "love thine enemies" in like manner.  However when someone shows up on a forum for VSA owners/fans with an agenda my feathers get ruffled at light speed; not what you would describe as an admirable quality.  I admit to fanning the flames but I feel incumbent to set straight misleading comments made here regarding VSA designs/construction practices.  Albert deserves better.  If I have pushed the boundaries regarding circle behavior, my apologies.

Gavin Hadley