vr 7se speakers

violetmachan

vr 7se speakers
« on: 27 Nov 2008, 11:24 pm »
hello vsa enthusiasts
if you are a vr 7se user......what amps are you using to power these speakers....do you find the use of descent spikes useful in a more realistic sound.....are the speakers still in production...or are they being discontinued......heard that a more compact version is soon to  be released........how are alberts new signature biwire cables?

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Re: vr 7se speakers
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2008, 09:12 pm »
Hi Violetmachman,

We use the KR Kronzilla on our VR 7 SE mk III.
Very dynamic and musical.

Enjoy the music.

Cor

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2008, 08:37 am by ceedee »

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2008, 09:15 pm »

About the cables

We use the cables on the Unifield.
Very superior.
You have to try once.

Cor

McTwins

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2008, 05:49 pm »
Yeah, there is speaker and there is VR7SE.
Nice :drool:

violetmachan

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2008, 06:42 pm »
hello cor
Your system looks very clean and neat .....must be very musical!
I also use the vr 7se....my system is currently undergoing a rather slow change from solid state  reference mark levinson system  to  hybrid amps ..tenor power amps ......waiting for their preamp ( hence using my meridian cinema processor as a preamp for 2channel music)....along with the emmlabs cdsa-se player wired with jena cables.....the room`s weakness is acoustics and placements are not ideal (.... much used living space by family)....which needs to be worked on.......the music is very fast and almost palpable. I was wondering if using alberts cables are better than jena valkyrie ...... and using good speaker spikes will make music a little more wholesome especially in the lower midrange ( I am sure i must make assessments only after getting a good preamp.....well!)

cheers

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2008, 08:50 pm »
I own the VR4 SR MKIIs and love the sound and looks but these 7s cause me to lust unashamedly.  If they sound half as good as they look, you must be a very happy man.  Even though they have killer looks, you have to admit they look like the Rick Moranis character in Spaceballs, Dark Helmet.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2008, 10:26 pm »
The first time we saw them they were nicknamed 'Darth Vader'.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2008, 10:37 pm »
Hi Violetmachan,

Thanks. This combination is very musical and realistic. We love the finest detail and subtile dynamics. That is what moves us in music.
About the spikes, depends of the floor. When there is enough bass (with these tenors there should be) you can use the spikes to get more controle in the mid-bass. With the VSA cables you get still more harmonic in the music, fast and tight.
The best thing is to try when the preamp is ready.

Success.

Cor

Delacroix

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2008, 11:18 pm »
I own the VR4 SR MKIIs and love the sound and looks but these 7s cause me to lust unashamedly.  If they sound half as good as they look, you must be a very happy man.  Even though they have killer looks, you have to admit they look like the Rick Moranis character in Spaceballs, Dark Helmet.

Hate to tempt you but there's a special on a pair of VR7's on A'gon at the moment....$17.5k.....just the thing for those new amps, right?

DRjam

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2008, 05:32 pm »
VR7se owners is just sick  aa

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #10 on: 3 Dec 2008, 11:36 pm »
Let the music be your medicine :wink:

violetmachan

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2009, 06:15 pm »
any news of the new  von schweikert VR 77......was it shown at the ces 2009.....any photos

JackD201

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2009, 01:45 am »
Violetmachan,

Those Tenors are lust inducing. As a former Levinson user (I went through 3 generations of Levinson amps) I'd appreciate it if you could share your impressions on the Tenors compared to them. I switched to Hybrids too for my VR-9s but those from Lamm. Coincidentally, I use an Emmlabs digital front end too. A Pic of my system can be seen on the VSA website's contact page.

Cheers!

Jack

violetmachan

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2009, 10:20 pm »
hello jack
your set seems to be fabulous....lamms with vsa 9se with emmlabs and with a dedicated room.......must be close to heaven!......

Well my road  to sound surfing seems to be just like riding the wave.......outcome!!!......major dent in the bank balance........but the evolution and the act of riding the wave is magical.......once you have come to the cutting edge of home hifi.....can be a slippery ride.....well the difference between using lamms, levinsons, dartzeels.....tenors....etc.....is small.....but that small change ( like  the last inch of speaker toe-in that make the sound holistic)......can make all the difference to your perception of your dream sound....for me ...I am a bit of a dreamer!!

There is one change I did like from going from my pure solid state...( except the use of the dartzeel combo..) reference mark levinson(ml31.6/360s/33h/32 )...... to the hybrids...the levinsons in the late 99`s and early 2000`s was adequate for my sonic dreams....but I was getting a little tired of the slight recessed/darkish sound presentation ....this was followd by using lamms 1.1 with ml 32 preamp.....this was magical in the begining......but for some reason....the whole presentation seemed to come right upto you......this was followed by the use of my dealer`s lamml2.1 with AR 3 preamps at home for quite a while ......the was getting very good and real!!......then came a extended  demo of the dartzeel combo for about 2/52 at home.......this was sheer midrange magic.....simply sublime.......would be ideal as it has just two units with simple cables which do work in near perfect harmony ( one draw back for people like me , who at times... still like to listen to good old rock music and hear the electric guitar really sing )........then came a very irratic choice........diverted funds to real-estate ...(sun and sand)....and after a long period of abstaining ......I made an other blind move......decided to invest!!**** in tenor 350m amps without even listening to anyform of tenor audio.......well........       this was my initial response to .....jim
bloody stonking good amps.!!!...it is sheer musical magic in abundance......massive attack with phenomenal speed and control .....beautiful spread and sound stage to die for.....along with very real life like presentation .........so jack....that`s my sonic surfing for now

Note a lot of other variable have also evolved..... the speakers have changed from b&w 800N to vsa vr7se(seems to be a non-mover for a while....I don`t know why....must be getting old!!) ...cd players esoterics to emmlabs......cables transparents to nbs and now to  jena and kubala-sosna...the only common denominator which should have been addressed many years ago...is the room acoustics/dedicated audioroom which should have done the trick!! ...well...that really has not been given serious attention.....as the audio room is also a very well used family/tv room

Jack at times I wonder if my small low buget system of rotel amp and cd player and jbl-1 speakers in a small dingy med-school hostel room many moons ago !!......gave me more sonic joy*
I must admit.....the tenor in my system is not been optimised at present......running them thro-my meridian 568 digital processor...does not really do justice.....so my views may not be pure hence flawed.I am currently waiting to use the tenor preamps
As for  you jack.....to lust for*****...means to plan to execute you next move......which might mean to buy.....which comes to using tenors with the VR 9se speakers with powered woofers.......with emmlabs in a custom built room with acoustics........you will definitely be MIGHTY SONIC_JACK...... and you would have attained your home-audio nirvana...so

good sonic surfing

cheers
violetmachan

JackD201

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2009, 04:57 am »
An equipment list + surfing that leads me to guess you are in the Portland area? :)

Here go the coincidences again. I've been looking at some Sun and Sand as well except here in the Philippines the price of Tenor 350Ms can get me 100m of beachfront that looks like this

It's a tough call!

The 9s really shone with more juice hence my choice of the M2.2 over the M1.2. I'll be moving to a much larger dedicated room that's almost 70sq/m with a 3m ceiling. Should I require even more juicy hybrid power the 350M will be on my list for sure. Them or another pair of M2.2s for bi-amping.

The surfing continues!

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2009, 02:50 pm »
Talk about star wars....woah!  :o

violetmachan

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2009, 07:25 pm »
hello jack
that place looks like sheer bliss..........
I am sure the use of tenors with your setup will provide outstanding sound but I presume the use of lamm ML1.1 with your reference lamm preamps with the vr 9se should be as grand as anything else available currently.......may be worth trying the vr 9se with the dartzeel preamp and add the new monoblocks......I still have a soft corner for the dartzeel combo18/108....lovely midrange......
well I sure your currently setup must be absolutely stunning.....If I have a choice I would buy that lovely windy place by the sea!
good sonic surfing
cheers
violetmachan

Before I forget....Jack are you a VSA dealer in philippines......any news about the new vr 77....any pictures

JackD201

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:19 am »
Hi VM,

Yes Keith and I are the VSA distributors here. The 77s are still under wraps. I'm dying to see the pics myself. I'm trying not to think about it :lol:

All the Best,

JackD

violetmachan

« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2009, 01:18 am »
hello jack
any news on the vr77........does it have a powered subwoofer?
cheers
VM

JackD201

« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2009, 01:37 am »
Hi VM,

Final designs especially with regards to the cabinetry aren't locked down yet. Indications are that the 77 will be an all passive affair. From the looks of it they will be slimmer than the VR-7 SEs and actually lean in appearance to resemble the 5 anniversaries unlike the way the 7 SEs leaned more towards the 9 SEs. As of now the bass module uses the same 10" SEAS Mags but is front ported. New ribbon for the super-tweeter and a different main tweeter too. One I can't quite make out. Albert says it's sounding good but they're still working on the look.

I'm just guessing but I don't think the 77 is intended to be replacement for the 7 SEs. I think price wise they should be slotting in at the high 40s to low 50s unlike the 7 SEs that sold retail for about 65k. So if you're feeling that upgrade itch, it seems the 9 SEs and not the 77s would be more up your alley.

Get your preamp yet?

Jack