Unifield 3s

SundayNiagara

Re: Unifield 3s
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2008, 06:22 pm »
It would seem as though the top portion could function as a monitor.  Will it be available separately?

varsharun

Re: Thanks for the replies, one more Q ..
« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2008, 07:43 pm »
I have them in a 15x12x10 living room, but due to waf constraints, the speakers are 8ft apart and very close to wall. I listen from about 7-8 ft in front
and the imaging, soundstaging, dynamics are incredible. So even a 8x8 room should be sufficient for these speakers.

-Arun

When you are saying 'smaller rooms' what is your definition (W-L- Ceiling height) ?? Thanks.

trout2

« Reply #22 on: 27 Oct 2008, 01:30 pm »
Thanks--Would a 26 x 15 room be too large? I listen at about 14 ft from my speakers....

Rutgar

« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2008, 02:59 pm »
Thanks--Would a 26 x 15 room be too large? I listen at about 14 ft from my speakers....

I have mine in a 23L x 16W x 10H, and they easily fill the room.  Of course, I'm also suplimenting them with an 18" Sub. 

« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2008, 08:43 pm by Rutgar »

trout2

« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2008, 05:49 pm »
Are you running the Uni-3's full range? Are you using the sub to just fill in whats missing within 20hz-30hz or so?

Rutgar

« Reply #25 on: 27 Oct 2008, 06:09 pm »
I'm running the Uni-3's Full Range.  And yes, the sub is for fill in, but I have it crossed at 80Hz.  The Sub is a Velodyne DD-18, so it has built-in, user adjustable eq.  I'm still tweaking on a number of things, such as the settings for the sub, positioning, etc.

trout2

« Reply #26 on: 27 Oct 2008, 06:25 pm »
80hz seems high with the Uni-3's bass output down to what, the mid-30's?. Does the room have (bass suck-out) problems? My Maggie 3.6R's are running full range w/a REL Storm used as fill up to about 38hz. If I raise that frequency the bass starts to overwhelm the room.

trout2

« Reply #27 on: 28 Oct 2008, 12:45 am »
How is the vertical dispersion?

JackD201

« Reply #28 on: 5 Nov 2008, 01:24 am »
On the pair I have here, vertical dispersion is very good. The image of vocals and soloists hover from a foot to a foot and half above the speaker cabinets depending on the recording and ambient cues go far higher. Crazy thing is the soundstage is similar in scale to that of the almost 6ft tall Ambience reference 1600 ribbon speakers. The bi-pole 1600s give larger hall space though.

These guys are crazy transparent. I replaced a single weak power tube with an extra 6c33 and my partner walked in and said that channel sounded different from the other. I swapped all tubes to manufacturer supplied matched quads and all was well once again. I'm close to 100 hours and the bass still need to stretch out a bit. I think the MT modules are close to optimal at this point. Fingers crossed!

steve_sf

• My Gear
« Reply #29 on: 9 Nov 2008, 06:35 pm »
I'm close to 100 hours and the bass still need to stretch out a bit. I think the MT modules are close to optimal at this point. Fingers crossed!

You're in for some definite improvement. I have 500+ hours on my Unifield 3's. I think they were still getting better after 300 hours.

I couldn't be happier with the Unifield 3. They're extremely well balanced, very dynamic (without being aggressive or overblown)  and exquisitely detailed. The soundstage produced is holographic: convincingly transparent, coherent and expansive. They aren't large speakers but they fill my big room better than the much larger loudspeakers they replaced. The previous speaker features twin 8.5" woofers and yet the Unifield 3 produces deeper, more detailed bass.

I also love the appearance of the Unifield 3. They have an elegant, modern look and dimensions that don't dominate a room. Here are some pictures from my setup (BTW, I cover that glass table with a blanket when listening):

Steve
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2010, 05:21 pm by steve_sf »

Rutgar

« Reply #30 on: 15 Nov 2008, 04:36 pm »
Here are so

« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2008, 09:58 pm by Rutgar »

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #31 on: 16 Nov 2008, 08:09 am »
Dear Rutgar,

We use a set of Unifield III as well and we are very happy this small system sounds so very complete and musical.
What kind of bass you expect? Regarding to real instruments it depends of the roomacoustics how the 'bassenergy' will fill the room.
A subwoofer should only support the subsonics. You could move the Uni's still back to the wall to get some more bass.

Good luck and enjoy the music.

Cor
www.musicalreality.nl

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #32 on: 16 Nov 2008, 10:29 am »
Hi, Can anyone confirm if these use the Fountek and Fostex drivers?

Rutgar

« Reply #33 on: 16 Nov 2008, 01:45 pm »
Dear Rutgar,

We use a set of Unifield III as well and we are very happy this small system sounds so very complete and musical.
What kind of bass you expect? Regarding to real instruments it depends of the roomacoustics how the 'bassenergy' will fill the room.
A subwoofer should only support the subsonics. You could move the Uni's still back to the wall to get some more bass.

Cor
www.musicalreality.nl

I don't expect the Uni 3's to do subsonics. And I think the Uni 3's do a lot of things right, which is why I bought them.  Regardless of the what the graph shows (which may be caused by other issues that have nothing to do with the speakers themselves), I still find they sound great when using them for 2-channel music. I have moved them as close to the wall as I can get them, given my current projector screen supports.   I am thinking about a different method of supporting my screen.  Which would give me about another foot to move the speakers back. 
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2008, 07:58 pm by Rutgar »

JackD201

« Reply #34 on: 16 Nov 2008, 03:58 pm »
Hi Rutgar,

You mentioned in another post that you have a rather large room, a SR or 5 Anniversary sized room. I do remember that you actually did have SRs powered by your nifty parasounds. The size isn't exactly what the Unifields were designed for just as the literature indicates. I think what you're experiencing is a loss of boundary reinforcement.  :(  Also moving from four 8 1/2" drivers down to two 6 1/2" drivers would definitely leave me with the impression that I gave a lot of whomp up. Looks like a factory upgrade from an SR to 5 Anniversary could have better served your needs if what you were looking for was more transparency and immediacy without sacrificing bass response.

I do hope I'm wrong and that placement is all you'll need to fiddle with. Do know however that this Circle has got your back. Good luck and I hope you get everything sorted out.

All the Best,

jack

Delacroix

« Reply #35 on: 16 Nov 2008, 04:31 pm »
Rutgar

While I can appreciate your frustration, I would encourage you to give the speakers some more time to break in if they are brand new. I am sure you've checked the obvious things like a possible problem up the chain, but do you have any ability to try some other gear with these speakers just to be certain it is the 3's shortcoming in the lower regions? I am continually surprised at how different my speakers can sound with different components so it would be an interesting experiment if nothing else. When I started using VD cables I found a whole new level of bass reproduction which amazed me, and has caused me to think about repositioning my speakers (no mean feat since they are up on spiked footers).  If all else fails, I'd suggest you give Albert or Damon a call to get their input (assuming they don't read this and pipe in).

Best

Delacroix

WGH

« Reply #36 on: 16 Nov 2008, 04:47 pm »
One obvious question is: are the two woofers in phase? Even though your external wiring may be correct, I would check how the woofers move with a small "C" battery.

Rutgar

« Reply #37 on: 17 Nov 2008, 12:51 pm »
Thanks to all for your suggetions.  I tried moving the speakers as far back as possible, but as I suspected, the sound stage collapsed.  So I moved them back out away from the wall until I had a broad sound stage again.  Another thing I looked at was my surround processor (Classe SSP-30 Mk-II).  I discovered that even with the speakers set to 'large', that changing the subwoofer crossover frequency had an effect on the 100 to 50Hz range by quite a bit.  So now I'm thinking the issue is with my pre/pro and the way it handles Bass Management.  A friend of mine (Scott, who is also my VSA Dealer!) is going to bring over a basic 2-channel pre-amp and we will see what we get.  He also has a few other ideas that we will play with when he comes over.  Also, I want to iterate that 2-channel listening with these speakers is fantastic!  The problem I have is mainly when watching movies.

« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2008, 11:51 pm by Rutgar »

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #38 on: 21 Nov 2008, 06:42 am »
Hello all,

Here is a nice setup with the Unifield III in Holland.
We used the Uni's on a domotica fair to show a very small but complete system.

Sound was realy stunning.

Regards,

Cor

« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2008, 02:02 pm by ceedee »

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #39 on: 21 Nov 2008, 06:47 am »
Hello all,

Here are a few pictures again.

Cor