Bdp-2 to Bda-1 Sound Quality

tie_breaker

Bdp-2 to Bda-1 Sound Quality
« on: 6 Feb 2016, 05:39 pm »
Hi guys, I just received my new bdp-2 and connected it to my bda-1 via aes/ebu and spdif coax. My aes cable is kimber orchid and coax is just a $30 cable. Contrary to what I have read, the coax connection sounds better.. The aes sounds a bit muffled, the mid and the highs are not as clear or clean. Any thoughts? Thx...

drummermitchell

Re: Bdp-2 to Bda-1 Sound Quality
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2016, 06:16 pm »
Try a Bryston AES cable,nothing muffled here.
I use the BPD-2 also and BDA-2 dac.

Ola_S

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2016, 09:32 pm »
I have a BDP-2 and BDA-2 and compared Oyaide ftvs-910 AES/EBU with a cheap RG59 coax and I have the same impression of the differences as you have. AES/EBU doesn't sound as clear as the cheap coax.

Tympani

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2016, 09:55 pm »
Agree with drummermitchell - On my BDP-2/BDA-2 combo (BDA-3 on the way :D) I have noted wide variation with AES/EBU cables. To my ears, a high quality AES cable sounds superb, quieter, cleaner at extreme high frequency, better "space". I am using HiDiamond "Big" AES, and also have used WyWires. Both outstanding. I have compared to a few BNC/coax cables, but admittedly not of the caliber of the AES cables I've used.

werd

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2016, 10:47 pm »
I like using the XLR but I am running balanced right through. I really like the BNC too, especially when using rca elsewhere.

tie_breaker

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2016, 12:08 am »
Well, I jumped the gun and was wrong.  I don't know what I was thinking but aes sounds superior after all.  I have been testing both channels for a few hours with a variety of music and conclude that aes sounds more spacious, natural, and the sound stage is bigger, less compressed... I even changed the cheap coax cable with a Bryston bnc cable, still aes is better.. I am wondering if somehow Bdp-2 has a break in period, it's been on for 6 hours and sound quality seems better compared to when I first booted it up.

Tympani

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2016, 02:23 pm »
Re: break-in period, BDP-2 took more than 100 hours to settle. Likewise for the cables. Sometimes longer. I would not make any critical assessments till then.