BDP-1 to BDA-1 connection: AES-EBU or BNC

Timslim18

BDP-1 to BDA-1 connection: AES-EBU or BNC
« on: 18 Sep 2012, 04:06 pm »
Hi James and Fellow AudioCirclers:

I just received and installed a BDA-1 (fed by modded SqueezeBox Duet) with ear-opening joy and am now convinced and ready to pick up a BDP-1 to take my setup to a much higher level.  I am curious what existing owners of the BDA and BDP combination recommend for connecting BDP/BDA (AES-EBU or BNC) and, as I forsee having one component on top of the other, what cable length is preferred. 

Tim

jjc1

Re: BDP-1 to BDA-1 connection: AES-EBU or BNC
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2012, 05:00 pm »

Tim, ther are oodles on this subject on AC. Do a search and you'll find many opinions and suggestions. I myself did quite a bit of listening to both connections and posted my findings here on AC.   

PS, congrats on deciding on the BDP1. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Timslim18

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2012, 09:36 pm »
jjci:

Thanks for your response but I could not find the thread you referred to which showed your findings.  I am quite interested in reading your review.

Kindly advise.

jjc1

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2012, 01:01 am »
Try putting AES/EUB  in the search field. You'll find my and other members findings...most written in Aug and Sept 2011.    Hope this helps.

John

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2012, 08:29 pm »
hi, Tim!

i've tried both the BNC and the XLR... couldn't detect any differences soundwise. so i chose the XLR cable as this is what James recommends.

al.

SHV

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2012, 10:21 pm »
hi, Tim!

i've tried both the BNC and the XLR... couldn't detect any differences soundwise. so i chose the XLR cable as this is what James recommends.

al.

Same experience.  A 1 meter high quality (Japanese wire, German connectors) XLR will cost about $20.00 USD.  If you have at least minimal expertise with a soldering gun, make you own for less.

Steve

Music Matters

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2012, 03:06 pm »
This thread, last written to on March 11, 2012, "The digital cable used makes a huge difference in performance" contains some info that I (Music Matters) have previously posted on my experience with digital cables. Take a look - hope it helps.

adhesiv

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2012, 05:02 pm »
Try putting AES/EUB  in the search field. You'll find my and other members findings...most written in Aug and Sept 2011.    Hope this helps.

John

I'm sorry but I don't understand why people do this...it took you two posts to tell someone to look for another post...wouldn't it just have been easier to say BNC or XLR in one post or not respond at all?

I'm interested in this same topic as I'll be potentially adding a BDP-1 to replace my Transporter. BNC has always been a solid performer in my experience and unless the planned connection is a long run will probably perform same or better than the XLR connection.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2012, 05:09 pm »
Hi Folks,

BNC is a great connector because it is a true 75 ohms.   
With digital connections you have to be careful because any impedance mismatching can cause reflection issues as well as data issues because the wavelength of digital signals are very high.

AES EBU (XLR) Digital cables and connectors should have an impedance of 110 ohms.
Make sure that both the connector and the cable meet the appropriate standard.  I have seen some mismatches between connectors and cables and visa-versa.

The reason I like AES EBU is because it has double the voltage swing as the other types of connects have and the receiving devices really seem to like the extra voltage.

So try both BNC and AES EBU Digital (XLR) ans see what you think.

james

jjc1

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2012, 01:26 am »
I'm sorry but I don't understand why people do this...it took you two posts to tell someone to look for another post...wouldn't it just have been easier to say BNC or XLR in one post or not respond at all?

I'm interested in this same topic as I'll be potentially adding a BDP-1 to replace my Transporter. BNC has always been a solid performer in my experience and unless the planned connection is a long run will probably perform same or better than the XLR connection.
. I was just trying to be helpful!  If that 's not what AC is about , please let me know and I'll move on.

John

JfTM

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2012, 11:39 am »
Hi Folks,

BNC is a great connector because it is a true 75 ohms.   
With digital connections you have to be careful because any impedance mismatching can cause reflection issues as well as data issues because the wavelength of digital signals are very high.

AES EBU (XLR) Digital cables and connectors should have an impedance of 110 ohms.
Make sure that both the connector and the cable meet the appropriate standard.  I have seen some mismatches between connectors and cables and visa-versa.

The reason I like AES EBU is because it has double the voltage swing as the other types of connects have and the receiving devices really seem to like the extra voltage.

So try both BNC and AES EBU Digital (XLR) ans see what you think.

james

I think I've read that it is difficult/impossible to achieve the 110 ohms. Is that true?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:12 pm »
I think I've read that it is difficult/impossible to achieve the 110 ohms. Is that true?

Hi Jim

Yes because it is very difficult to get the termination of the 3 wire balanced cable to maintain the exact distances from each other ( therefore the same Impedance) they achieve through the cable at the connector. With BNC that is much easier to achieve.

James

Timslim18

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2012, 10:39 pm »
Thanks to everyone for responding.

One question remains: what is the "optimal" cable length recommended for each of XLR and of BNC given a set-up with BDP and BDA placed one on top of the other?  Does the different resistance (110 versus 75 ohms) of each type of cable factor in determining the optimal cable length?

Tim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2012, 12:30 am »
Thanks to everyone for responding.

One question remains: what is the "optimal" cable length recommended for each of XLR and of BNC given a set-up with BDP and BDA placed one on top of the other?  Does the different resistance (110 versus 75 ohms) of each type of cable factor in determining the optimal cable length?

Tim

No length issues.

James