Are listening rooms getting smaller?

fredgarvin

Re: Are listening rooms getting smaller?
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jul 2018, 03:30 pm »
When I moved my main system from the smaller, rectangular room to the larger 26X26 room with 9 ft ceiling it was an amazing upgrade. It was like I had been choking the speakers for all of those years. It really confirmed my thoughts about the photos I've seen of huge systems wedged into tiny rooms.  I was able to eliminate the bass bounce off of the wall behind me by tipping the speakers back about 3/8".

rockadanny

Re: Are listening rooms getting smaller?
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jul 2018, 04:53 pm »
My room got smaller when we moved.

Our previous home was a single level with no basement so I placed my gear in our large(ish), open plan, 11' cathedral ceiling living room. However, the only time I could seriously listen there without disturbing the rest of the household, and them not disturbing me, was when I had the house to myself. Great room for sound, but a PITA to move speakers out and hang treatments for each listening session.

Current home has a finished basement so I set up in its largest room. No complaints on the size of footprint (20.125' x 12.67'), but I do hate the much lower ceiling (7.10'). I have been forced into a near-field setup - suspected cause being this low-ass ceiling.