Classical piano

audioman999

Classical piano
« on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:39 am »
I have been listening to more and more classical piano music and it doesn't matter which label it is recorded on it always sounds veiled compared with jazz piano. Is there a reason for these seemingly poor recordings on what appears to be the majority of the CDs.

Any recommendations on excellent piano recordings?

Thanks

Sam-fi

Re: Classical piano
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2011, 01:53 am »
I second this. I am learning to play classical piano right now so if someone could recommend some really really legendary and well recorded performances that would be great.

Sam

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2011, 02:38 am »
Get a copy of David Fung's "Evening Conversations"... as good as it gets for piano in a small room.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2011, 11:51 am »
It's gotta be in the miking.  I would guess that jazz recordings are done with the mike directly over the soundboard of the piano to lessen bleedthrough of other instruments in the room.  Whereas classical music recordings would probably be miked a little farther away from the piano to get the sound of the room too.  While you prefer the sound of the closely-miked jazz piano it's debatable which should be considered the 'proper' piano sound.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2011, 02:46 pm »
Again, it depends on what nature of the piece.  You don't want a concerto miked close- it's not an intimate piece.  A Chopin etude is a parlor piece and the listener is only 15 ft. away in a room in a house. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2011, 04:35 pm »
I have been listening to more and more classical piano music and it doesn't matter which label it is recorded on it always sounds veiled compared with jazz piano. Is there a reason for these seemingly poor recordings on what appears to be the majority of the CDs.

Any recommendations on excellent piano recordings?

Thanks
Quote> it doesn't matter which label it is recorded on it always sounds veiled compared with jazz piano.
A singular statemant, maybe it have to do with most jazz piano recordings being close mike or compressed, or maybe your amp, IF you are using a HomeTheater Receiver, the DSP pre-amp can do strange things to the music some times.

This piano solos discs below are great recordings, I already listen it:
http://www.sa-cd.net/search/angela+hewitt The Chopin Nocturnes are awesome.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/40874/Marco_Alcantara-Beethoven_Diabelli_Variations-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD
Great performance, Stereophile recommended, recorded in PCM 24/192.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3017
  Memorable performance from Nelson, fine recording from Decca. There must be samples in some site.

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.