Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?

rw@cn

Re: Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?
« Reply #100 on: 7 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm »
Will someone please tell me what audiophiles think are small, medium and big rooms?  :lol:

Over the past 15 years, my has been called small, medium and big by people trying to sell me speakers. Oh, it is 20X13X8 (feet).

What I am going to do is put a pair of 12.7s in the room, push them against the front and side walls (between a TV), sit 2ft away (did anyone say near field?) and blissfully enjoy.  :thumb:

Davey

« Reply #101 on: 7 Jun 2012, 02:37 pm »
Like just about everything else in audiophiledom, small...big...medium are subjective.  :)

I've seen a number of "small" rooms that contained larger speakers like 1.6's or 2.X's.  I believe the room is too small for those speakers, but the user says "it works great."  So, who are we to argue??  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

josh358

« Reply #102 on: 7 Jun 2012, 02:43 pm »
Will someone please tell me what audiophiles think are small, medium and big rooms?  :lol:

Over the past 15 years, my has been called small, medium and big by people trying to sell me speakers. Oh, it is 20X13X8 (feet).

What I am going to do is put a pair of 12.7s in the room, push them against the front and side walls (between a TV), sit 2ft away (did anyone say near field?) and blissfully enjoy.  :thumb:

The reason for the confusion I think is that your room is a bit paradoxical, long but narrow. 13 feet is small, but 20 isn't.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #103 on: 7 Jun 2012, 05:01 pm »
Assuming the speakers are going in the 13' area, I'd say that your room is 1.7 size. 
That would make it a medium speaker sized room in my book.
Normal people would call them gargantuan, room dominating monsters which are WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY too big and should be replaced by something much smaller.
Luckily, I've been blessed with selective hearing.
Just ask my wife.

rw@cn

« Reply #104 on: 7 Jun 2012, 06:54 pm »
Between the 1.7s and 3.7s the room looks better with the 1.7s but the 3.7s sound better. I would still like to try the 12.7s.

UV88

« Reply #105 on: 12 Jun 2012, 03:16 pm »
Hi Steve,

Do you mind enquiring from Wendall & co if the mini maggie treble/mid panels have different versions?
The set that I just bought 2 weeks back had a metal strip that can be taken off from the back of the panel and exposes the tweeter from the rear part. Some pictures online showcase the mini maggie panels without the exposed tweeter from the rear but it seems the grille wrap encloses the rear part of the tweeter making it appear as a continuous grille wrap without any exposed parts.
http://new.audiogon.com/listings/157567
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUOqbam4sJM

Pls check the above two links and you can see there are 2 variants? Which one is new and is there a difference in sound? My dealer said the exposed rear portion of the tweeter is the newer model, but why create a newer variant unless there is difference in sound?? Does the continuous grille wrap cloud the rear tweeter and reduce the airiness in any way?

Cheers
UV88

UV88

« Reply #106 on: 12 Jun 2012, 03:24 pm »
Regarding positioning of the DWM woofer for the mini maggie, best same plane as the mid/tweeter panels or in front or behind them? Setup now is along same plane, 45cm above the floor but bass response is ok, a little weaker than a pair of Spendor SA1..is that expected or something amiss with woofer placement...?? Thanks

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #107 on: 12 Jun 2012, 10:52 pm »
Instead of burying you with audiophile mumbo jumbo regarding the never ending quest for audio bliss which necessitated the running product changes, here's the boring truth of the matter:

There is no change in the speaker.  We simply put the ribbon under the fabric grille.

This is from me:
it looks like the DMW goes a bit behind the monitors (like shoved back under a desk where your feet won't kick it).
Experiment with placement to see where you like the sound best, though. 
When I heard it there was a small REL sub in a far corner behind the desk chair and it all worked really well together. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #108 on: 13 Jun 2012, 03:56 am »
I have a question for the Magnepan factory:

Why don't you make headphones?

Think about it: Newcomers like Audeze and Hifiman have been stirring up the headphone biz with some interesting products based on planar magnetic drivers. Magnepan has been making this type of drivers longer than anybody. If they made headphones they would probably be a big hit.

If anyone from Magnepan is reading this... think about it!

UV88

« Reply #109 on: 13 Jun 2012, 01:47 pm »
So which one is the newer or the older version? The one with the ribbon tweeter buried beneath the fabric grille or the one with the ribbon exposed and protected by the metal strip (which we have to pry off as it's fasten by a magnet)? In hifi, old vs new version matters i guess, as even speaker cable pods that lift it off thr ground can become a matter of great debate for some audiophiliacs :P

Thanks

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #110 on: 13 Jun 2012, 09:21 pm »
For the headphones from Wendell:
Jim Winey has been working on headphones as long as I can remember. Why didn't we put them on the market? I suppose that a small company has a limit of have many products you can put on the market.

From me: I think that Magnepan's answer to the headphone market is the Mini Maggie System.  They're not strapped to your head and everyone around you can hear them, of course, but the sound quality eclipses any headphone I ever heard by a very wide margin.

As for the exposed versus covered Mini Maggie ribbon, Wendell's post indicates that the covered ribbon is the current version.  I'd imagine that this was done to simplify the manufacturing process.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #111 on: 27 Jun 2012, 09:48 am »
I had a question:

I was wondering about the glue you're using nowadays.
People make such a big deal about UV light so how much do I have to worry about sunlight and the panels?
I also know that glass filters out 90% of ultraviolet.

The answer:

The coating problem is Old News. We haven't a single failure with the new coating--and we have had it in production for many years.

Did this answer your question?

Yes, it did.  Now I won't be worrying so much about my speakers reacting like vampires when the sunlight hits them.

josh358

« Reply #112 on: 27 Jun 2012, 04:44 pm »
I gather the UV sensitive ones were the very early ones -- first ten years of production. Then they switched to a non-UV-sensitive adhesive, but it turned out to be water sensitive. So for the second decade of production, you have to worry about dampness rather than light! Then Mark Winey started a research project and found the new adhesives, which aren't sensitive to either.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #113 on: 28 Jun 2012, 12:15 am »
Finally, an adhesive as insensitive as the owner!

clang

« Reply #114 on: 10 Jul 2012, 10:48 pm »
I'd like to try using the DWM as a woofer in an active bi-amp setup with a crossover frequency of around 500hz. Is there an easy way to change the crossover frequency of the DWM from 200 to 500hz, or to bypass it altogether? I assume the DWM can handle it as it is rated to be flat to 500khz.

drummermitchell

« Reply #115 on: 11 Jul 2012, 03:25 am »
My Q,trying to find color schemes for 3.7's,not on the Magnepan site or net.
I've seen white,black,cherry that's it so far.
Would be nice to see the different color schemes.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #116 on: 11 Jul 2012, 08:53 pm »
For the colors, give it a few weeks and check their web site as they're doing some updates.
For the DMW,

You can always tear into it, but it would void the warranty. Without knowing the intended use, I am not sure if this a wise move.

I assume the DWM can handle it as it is rated to be flat to 500khz.

I think you meant 5 kHz.

clang

« Reply #117 on: 11 Jul 2012, 09:48 pm »
Steve,

Yes, I meant 5khz. Sorry.

Clarence

getech

• Industry Participant
which Maggie?
« Reply #118 on: 11 Aug 2012, 08:16 am »
Steve, my listening room is 19' x 27' x 8'.  I listen to music and ht about 50/50 and have a rather large subwoofer.  Which do you think would work in my room, the 1.7 or 3.7?

Thanks!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #119 on: 11 Aug 2012, 09:59 am »
Either would work but I think you'd be best with the 3.7s.