BP 25 tweaks?

Vhond

BP 25 tweaks?
« on: 20 Apr 2021, 08:43 am »
Anybody has made some tweaks for a BP25?

I found some comment on the net:
I've changed some parts inside, like the voltage regulator (standard are cheap fixed regulators), bypassed the output caps, and varniched all with C37 lacqueer.

By Alfetta87 on http://www.audioreview.com/product/amplification/preamplifiers/bryston/bp-25.html

Any (other) thoughts on this subject?

Vhond

Re: BP 25 tweaks?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2021, 10:22 am »
No one?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2021, 01:26 pm »
The BP 25 is am older model. But almost identical to the BP-26.
(I have owned a BP-26 for over 11 years now)
I never have read (and I  read a lot of audio news and forums) of anyone upgrading BP 25 or 26 internals.
That you found one source is surprising.
Plus you have not given the topic a lot of time. The numbers of actual owners who have done or do mods has to be extremely small. Plus Bryston with the super long warranty would not get a lot of attention for pro modders.
Most folks who buy Bryston like the warranty aspect, and any mods (including IMO parts replacements)would void the warranty
Sorry I could not be more helpful

Vhond

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2021, 03:59 pm »
The BP 25 is am older model.
That's the reason I asked, for many people out of warranty and imaginable there may be mods out there.

What about the voltage regulator Alfetta87 mentioned?

Phoenix

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2021, 09:04 am »
Anybody has made some tweaks for a BP25?

I found some comment on the net:
By Alfetta87 on http://www.audioreview.com/product/amplification/preamplifiers/bryston/bp-25.html

Any (other) thoughts on this subject?

Wouldn't change a thing! Bryston knows what they are doing.
And C37 lacqueer? Come on that's pure snake oil.  :duh:

Vhond

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2021, 02:06 pm »
This has nothing to do with not trusting Bryston knowing what they're doing. My topic has to do with evaluation through the years or better components...

PierreB

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2021, 02:40 pm »
For me, if you want to tweak a BP25, just sold it and buy a BP26 or a new BP-17.
Don’t waste your money in diy tweaks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2021, 04:21 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just be careful with tweaks - make sure it is someone that knows their way around a circuit board and has the test gear to verify the changes for the better.  I have seen some of these 'tweaks' come in for service and it is obvious that the 'tweaker' did not understand the synergistic relationship between the parts and there placement and how those changes affect the overall circuit topology.

james

mv038856

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2021, 10:29 am »
The former German distributor Sun Audio used to offer a model that was called BPS-25, the ‚S‘  standing for an improved version of the BP-25. They even offered to modify existing BP-25s to the ‚S‘-specs.

In its product life, the BP-25 also received a power supply update, going from the BP-PSR to the MPS-1. With a custom connecting cable, the BP-25 is, as far as I know, even compatible with the MPS-2.

I performed the power supply upgrade to the MPS-1 myself (plug-n-play), while Sun Audio, as the authorized distributor back then, made the S-upgrade on the main unit (I think they replaced a number of capacitors...).

@James, is there an older ‚non-S‘ batch that would benefit from an exchange of a few components?

BTW, I am still happy with my BPS-25 with the MPS-1 power supply.  :thumb:

Thanks!

Markus

Vhond

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2021, 10:48 am »
Hi mv038856/Markus,

I already have a model with MPS-1, I wander what difference the PS-3 would make? I don't know if the BP25 is ready for that?

Some say that's the only difference between the BP25 and BP26 (power supply).

Although the BP26 was released with a MPS-2, what I understood the PS-3 is basically a single-channel version of Bryston's MPS-2.

I don't know if there's an 'upgrade kit' from MPS-1 to PS-3? Probably it's not possible (to different)
Or do people have some pictures to compare the one to the other??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2021, 10:53 am »
Hi mv038856/Markus,

I already have a model with MPS-1, I wander what difference the PS-3 would make? I don't know if the BP25 is ready for that?

Some say that's the only difference between the BP25 and BP26 (power supply).

Although the BP26 was released with a MPS-2, what I understood the PS-3 is basically a single-channel version of Bryston's MPS-2.

I don't know if there's an 'upgrade kit' from MPS-1 to PS-3? Probably it's not possible (to different)
Or do people have some pictures to compare the one to the other??

Hi Folks,

Yes the PS-3 is a single channel version of the MPS-2. The MPS-2 has been discontinued so we are replacing it with the PS-3.

james

Socal77

« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2021, 12:58 pm »
I obtained significant improvement with my BP-26 by replacing the stock umbilical from the MPS-2 with a Revelation Audio cable.

bunkertoy

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2023, 03:25 pm »
The former German distributor Sun Audio used to offer a model that was called BPS-25, the ‚S‘  standing for an improved version of the BP-25. They even offered to modify existing BP-25s to the ‚S‘-specs.

In its product life, the BP-25 also received a power supply update, going from the BP-PSR to the MPS-1. With a custom connecting cable, the BP-25 is, as far as I know, even compatible with the MPS-2.

I performed the power supply upgrade to the MPS-1 myself (plug-n-play), while Sun Audio, as the authorized distributor back then, made the S-upgrade on the main unit (I think they replaced a number of capacitors...).

@James, is there an older ‚non-S‘ batch that would benefit from an exchange of a few components?

BTW, I am still happy with my BPS-25 with the MPS-1 power supply.  :thumb:

Thanks!

Markus

I know this is an older post, but hopefully someone has info on this question. Did Bryston not also extend the gold RCA interconnects on the back of the BP-25 ?
Can't seem to find any info on that. Did this change happen the same time as swapping out the power supply from BP-PSR to the MPS-1 ?

Any information you guys have would be appreciated.
Cheers

Jozsef

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2023, 10:49 pm »
If you want a 20+ year old unit to sound better, send it in to Bryston to have the electrolytic caps replaced and the performance verified. Small transistors can start to fail resulting in increased distortion and noise, but the improvement just from replacing those caps will shock you. It's quite thrilling, honestly.

sfraser

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2023, 06:59 pm »
If you want a 20+ year old unit to sound better, send it in to Bryston to have the electrolytic caps replaced and the performance verified. Small transistors can start to fail resulting in increased distortion and noise, but the improvement just from replacing those caps will shock you. It's quite thrilling, honestly.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Let the team that designed ,built and tested  the product have the 1st crack at it. The BP-25 is a great preamp, but is getting a little long in the tooth. Who knows Bryston may have some mod's and insight they have accumulated from the BP-26 and BR-20 which could be incorporated into BP-25.  Or maybe a cap refresh?

Good luck

bunkertoy

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2023, 11:26 pm »
I was just resurrecting this post to find out the changes Bryston made to the BP-25 in its last few years of production. I think it was in 1999. different power supply and I believe longer gold connectors.