Evolution DAC

Samoyed

Re: Evolution DAC
« Reply #140 on: 22 Jan 2019, 12:50 pm »
Great review!  Two points stood out as mirroring my experience: first, what he calls fluidity, or I called a liquid like precision, and secondly, the sudden onset of increased sound stage-from better than the dac10 to exponentially better.  :thumb:  His many conclusions are also spot on. Great design work, Nuprime!  I wish he’d gone into the MQA function but the streamer limited him. Anyway, as he said, the PREAMP is a winner, too!

audio.bill

« Reply #141 on: 22 Jan 2019, 10:49 pm »
Great review!  Two points stood out as mirroring my experience: first, what he calls fluidity, or I called a liquid like precision, and secondly, the sudden onset of increased sound stage-from better than the dac10 to exponentially better.  :thumb:  His many conclusions are also spot on. Great design work, Nuprime!  I wish he’d gone into the MQA function but the streamer limited him. Anyway, as he said, the PREAMP is a winner, too!
Since I believe you've been using the BS Node 2's coaxial digital output into the Evo DAC, can you please confirm whether the DAC is providing full MQA decoding (i.e. display shows MQA 192kHz or higher) when streaming Tidal MQA files from the Node? TIA for sharing your experience with it, I'm giving some serious thought to acquiring the Evo DAC myself.

Samoyed

« Reply #142 on: 22 Jan 2019, 10:53 pm »
Maybe I’m doing something wrong but I get 96k. As I understand it, mqa is only available as a usb input, hence I have an Innuous Zen Mini on the way....

Frankly, 96k sounds great through this DAC.

I don’t want to influence you...yeah, I do-buy it!

rustydoglim

« Reply #143 on: 22 Jan 2019, 11:07 pm »
MQA is only for USB input, as I have explained it couple of posts earlier, the decoding is done in the XMOS USB chip.
You could have performed the decoding on the PC, I believe the outcome is just the same (how can an USB comm. chip decode better than a powerful PC?). 
Give both methods a try and let us know.

Samoyed

« Reply #144 on: 22 Jan 2019, 11:11 pm »
Yes, I will, when the Innuous arrives....

audio.bill

« Reply #145 on: 22 Jan 2019, 11:31 pm »
So you're still getting MQA Core (the first unfold) courtesy of the Node via its coaxial output to the Evo DAC. Using a server with a USB output and Tidal support you would be able to get full MQA decoding. Thanks for the clarification to you both!

Samoyed

« Reply #146 on: 22 Jan 2019, 11:34 pm »
Well, I’m 20 years too late to the party and trying to catch up, but that’s my understanding. I use Tidal, and plan to use Roon with the Innuos for mqa per its engineer.

Samoyed

« Reply #147 on: 5 Feb 2019, 11:10 pm »
Finally, my Innuos Zen Mini is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I can’t wait to hear Tidal/mqa through this lovely dac!

simon740

« Reply #148 on: 6 Feb 2019, 08:56 am »
Finally, my Innuos Zen Mini is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I can’t wait to hear Tidal/mqa through this lovely dac!

Great.
Can I ask which transport / streamer you had up to now?

regards,
Simon

Samoyed

« Reply #149 on: 6 Feb 2019, 12:50 pm »
Bluesound node 2.

Samoyed

« Reply #150 on: 6 Feb 2019, 07:59 pm »
Good news: the zen mini arrived, and Roon functions with a usb connection. Bad news: I can’t get mqa to function on the Evo! 

:duh:

audio.bill

« Reply #151 on: 6 Feb 2019, 08:06 pm »
Good news: the zen mini arrived, and Roon functions with a usb connection. Bad news: I can’t get mqa to function on the Evo! 

:duh:
Sorry to hear that MQA isn't working for you so far... I'm not familiar with the Zen mini so you might have to check with a dealer or their customer support, but I believe there are two possible ways for it to provide full MQA decoding with the EVO DAC. First would be to set the Zen to pass through MQA files without any decoding and allow the EVO DAC to provide full MQA decoding on its own. The second possibility would be to set the Zen to provide MQA Core decoding (the first unfold) and then let the EVO DAC perform MQA Rendering which would result in full MQA decoding. One of these ways should work, of course as previously indicated the EVO only supports MQA decoding from its USB input. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Samoyed

« Reply #152 on: 6 Feb 2019, 08:13 pm »
Thanks!  I defeated mqa in Roon as to the zen and enabled full mqa for the DAC. The DAC now shows “MQA Studio 44.1k”

So, I’m wondering, should 44.1 be higher?

It sounds quite good!

Samoyed

« Reply #153 on: 6 Feb 2019, 08:17 pm »
Now, “MQA 96k” with a different album.

What’s going on?

Thanks!

Samoyed

« Reply #154 on: 6 Feb 2019, 08:36 pm »
OK. Roon integrates quite well with Tidal. Tidal masters show up with their MQA spec viz kilohertz. I’m very, very happy with the sound and the kind assistance provided above!  More to follow.

Samoyed

« Reply #155 on: 6 Feb 2019, 08:47 pm »
Real, deep and tight bass, and lovely detail not heard with the Bluesound.  :thumb:

JackD

« Reply #156 on: 6 Feb 2019, 09:22 pm »
Every MQA album can be a different resolution.  As long as it matches what the Tidal screen says it is on the DAC readout you are good. 

Samoyed

« Reply #157 on: 6 Feb 2019, 09:25 pm »
Thanks!  It appears the evo dac is functioning as it should. I really love this dac, and it’s too bad I didn’t keep up for the last 20 years, but I’m thankful for you guys!

audio.bill

« Reply #158 on: 6 Feb 2019, 10:42 pm »
Glad that you got it working with MQA, enjoy the tunes in the best of health! :thumb:

Samoyed

« Reply #159 on: 6 Feb 2019, 10:47 pm »
You get all the credit. Listening to a Magnificat album right now at 352!  The dac exactly tracks what a Tidal/Roon report.