Introduction: McGary Audio

MMcGary

• Industry Participant
  • ...Just Listen
    • McGary Audio
Introduction: McGary Audio
« on: 21 Mar 2020, 04:39 pm »
So my brief introduction...I'm Mike McGary and I design and handbuild vacuum tube amplifiers (and soon other vacuum tube audio components).
I started my company about three years ago, and introduced my first amplifier- the 'Stereo Amplifier One' or SA1 about the same time. It is a stereo vacuum tube amplifier that uses quality components, hand soldered using silver solder, and a rugged metal enclosure. Even though with a modest power rating of 30WRMS, it still sounds more powerful than many amps... and truly is a little amp than can do more. Press coverage in the audio industry has been well received and rated, and this encouraged me to build my next audio product, the SA2 with more features and more power. This amp was exhibited at Axpona 2019/CAF 2019.
I have a hybrid sales model whereby I sell direct or thru a few specialized dealers, and offer a lifetime warranty.
I started my journey into audio at the young age of 12 (...even younger if you count the time I was 8 and damaged my father's Eico Amp and HK preamp), whereby I earned money to purchase a Technics receiver (SA-404) that I still own today (mint condition), as well as my first pair of loudspeakers (ADS L620). I definitely had a good sounding system in 8th grade! :)
My education/background is Electrical Engineering...I work in the Dept of Defense (almost 30 years) mainly in systems engineering/ project management/security for a wide spectrum of weapon systems (defensive and offensive), and as I approach my retirement age within DoD, I want to do something I've enjoyed most of my life...that is audio equipment design. I encourage any questions or comments, and look forward to interesting dialogue. Thank you!  -Mike

R_burke

Re: Introduction: McGary Audio
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2020, 03:16 pm »
A link to a website would be nice

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2020, 03:23 pm »
Welcome - here is the website - https://www.mcgaryaudio.com/

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2020, 03:55 pm »
  Welcome a good luck with your business. You have quite an impressive background.

charles

JDoyle

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2020, 03:59 pm »
  Welcome a good luck with your business. You have quite an impressive background.

charles

+1

Welcome as well!
I’ll also add that your amps are beautiful!

JD

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2020, 04:10 pm »
Welcome to AC, Mike.

I noticed a while back the Jim Salk has one of your amps (and that he loves it), so I visited your website.

Michael

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2020, 04:19 pm »
Welcome!  I noticed you amp uses 6SN7s as driver tubes.  IME, any amp that uses octals is worth checking out, as they are superior sounding tubes.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2020, 04:21 pm »
Welcome!  I noticed you amp uses 6SN7s as driver tubes.  IME, any amp that uses octals is worth checking out, as they are superior sounding tubes.

+1

Welcome to AudioCircle, Mike!

Thanks for the link Phil

Edit: Mike, I love how sa2 looks. Especially the Logan's Run style volume knob!
My first hifi amp was Cary SLI-80 which I loved despite some minor design problems. I see that your sa2 uses the same tube lineup. I definitely want to hear it!! Does it  have remote volume?

MMcGary

• Industry Participant
  • ...Just Listen
    • McGary Audio
« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2020, 04:55 pm »
Thank you everyone!
My apologies on forgetting my website url....
www.mcgaryaudio.com
Or just Google ‘McGary Audio’ to find my website, and other website reviews....

For clarification, the SA2 is only an amplifier, not an integrated amp. The knob on the amp is actually for controlling the amount of global negative feedback...although the volume level will change with changing the feedback.
I’m looking to make an integrated amp given the demand, and others giving me the evil eye when I have told them previously that I would not be making an integrated amp... :D

Yes, I agree...6sn7(gtb) tubes offer a characteristic sound that I especially like, and why they are employed as driver tubes.

uncola

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2020, 10:07 am »
Can I suggest you use the hattor remote control attenuator for your integrated.  It's responsive"fast" and the infrared receiver lets you use the remote even from far on the sides.  And it has a screen to display volume level. It's been my favorite to use

https://khozmo.com/64_steps_relay_khozmo_attenuator.html

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2020, 01:52 pm »
Greetings  & Welcome to AC Mike.  :thumb:  I too visited your site after Jim's comments & pics, and you build beautiful gear I'd hope to hear some day.  8)

Delpo

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2020, 04:45 pm »
I own a McGary SA1 and could not be happier. Amazing clarity, staging, dynamics, and musicality. You need to give it a listen!

Barryg443

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2020, 01:36 am »
I’ve heard your amp at the DC Hi Fi Group meeting a few months back!  It’s a beauty and soundstage is excellent!  Look forward to seeing your next project!  Maybe I’ll see you at Capital Audiofest if they have it in 2020.