« on: 26 May 2004, 07:36 pm »

JoshK

Pictures of my system are up.
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2004, 08:00 pm »
nice looking system :thumb:

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2004, 09:51 pm »
Nice looking gear.  Are those Hale's speakers?  BTW, are you fond of the MC Mike D from the Beastie Boys?

Michael

Mike D

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2004, 01:29 pm »
Yes.  Hales Revelation Three spkrs.

M I K   E   To the D
You come to see me and you paaay a fee
Do what I do      Profesionalyyyy
To tell the truth I am exactly what I wannabee!

Yes, quite fond.   :lol:

steve k

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2004, 11:57 pm »
Nice system, dude. Looks like a nice place to hold the next GAS meeting perhaps???? :wink: How are the Rogues burning in? I'd like to hear that BAT/Rogue combination. Are you through with school now? You've got to bring some trumpet/big band stuff by and we'll shoot a rack or two and spin some Clifford Brown on the maggies.
steve k

Mike D

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2004, 01:43 am »
Now that's a good time!  Great idea!  

The BAT and Rogue is a really nice combo.  It is liquid smooth.  The sound has really come to fruition in the past week.  Sometimes I find myself sitting in front of my system nervous and intimidated by its grandure.   :lol:

The social weekness is the lack of listenning seating.  I have my pilot's spot on the couch.  Two people can share this spot pretty well.  Three people can if they like to be close.  The max seating is five.  

I'll PM you some time when I know of a chance to get away.  How far away are you from Highland?

steve k

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2004, 01:49 am »
I can get to my buddy's house in Troy in about 45 minutes if that helps. We can always bring camp chairs, you know.  :)
steve

bmed

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2004, 11:15 pm »
Hey Mike,

Does your BAT have the phono board installed?   I was looking into a full-function preamp with REMOTE CONTROL (I know, I'm becoming a lazy ass in my old age).  I've come across a VK-3i at a good price.  Adding remote to my current pre is expensive as hell ($500--what a rip-off)!   It would be nice if the phono board was good enough to match or replace my EAR834P, just one less interconnect.  

Looking for your input,

Brad

Mike D

« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2004, 05:20 pm »
When I ordered my VK 3i, I ordered the phono board option.  Through some mix up, I got their remote instead.  As a result, I have both the remote and phono board options.  The Phono board is good.....  ish.  I'm not familiar with the phono stage that you mentioned.  I can say the BAT is quite and clean.  It adds no character to the sound like other boards I've heard.  If you like the added bloom that some phono stages have, the BAT board will be fine, but you won't love it.  

Last night a friend and I listened to records 'till 3 and loved every second of it.  The sound is overwhelming at times.  The phono side with the BAT surprises me in some new way every time I listen.  There are so many variables with phono from vinyl to set up to preamp that I can only speak to the final product.

Here's another bit of information that may help:
My cdp is a Wadia 830.  It sold for a list of over $3,000.  (I did NOT pay near that.)  My record player is a basic $600-$800 turntable with a sorbothane mat, glass on top of that, and a mu metal mat under them both.  The cartridge is a $600 Grado Sonata (unshielded, which explains the mu metal).  When listening to cds and records in a hang, it always feels like a downer when we go a long time without listening to phono.  That CDP is super-nice!  But the much less expensive phono side of my stereo images better in ways, it is far more dynamic, and more honest to the original sound of the music (overtones heard at the highest and lowest frequencies).

Therefore........  the BAT vk3i with the phono board is nice, but not something that has specific characteristics that you will identify easily.  I've had mine forever and still can't offer any observations regarding the phono board's flavor.

When I first switched from my Musical Fidelity X-LP to the phono board in the BAT, I was dissapointed with the lack of fire place warmth.  As time went by, I had made the common mistake of confusing mud with warmth.  Now I am able to hear clearly imaged frequencies higher and lower than my CD side.

What I miss in the phono stage may be tubes.  Someday I'll get a nice tube phono stage in hopes of retrieving the dimmensions that I miss in place of frequency response, dynamics, and clarity.

bmed

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2004, 03:23 am »
Thanks Mike.  That helps a lot.  

I've got tubes from stem to stern.   I've got plenty of a that "fireplace warmth", I just wonder if I'm often listening to too much glaze.  Am I losing some transient quickness?  The C&C Abby's are very quick, agile, and image like mad, but even they can't overcome some of the syrup I feel I'm feeding them.  I think I need a more neutral p-stage.  The EAR is definitely bloomy to say the least.  I've taken the Telefunkens out for good ole Sovteks for a little more attack.  

Don't get me wrong, I love my tubes, but I think I've got too much of a good thing--let the search begin!

Thanks again,
Brad

electricbear

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2004, 03:43 pm »
Nice looking rig Mike. I bet the accuracy of the Hales combined with the warmth of the Rogues is a winner.  8)

Mike D

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2004, 06:24 pm »
Thanks.  Here's to good times.   :beer:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2004, 11:45 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I love my tubes, but I think I've got too much of a good thing--let the search begin!

Hhmmm... I know where you're coming from. I have always been one to have every component in my system tube based. Lately I have been aquiring a taste for a bit more refinement and finding that a good SS source ain't so bad. Not that it will completely replace my RAM Signature CD player (modified Music Hall with custom Class "A" tube stage) any time soon but finding it to be something I can live with.
  Who knows, maybe I will have a solid state amp driving the lower range of my speakers some day? Na! I'll stick with tubes here also.

Here are my plans for a soon to be reference test system:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;system=352

WEEZ

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2004, 02:48 am »
Hey Bill--

Whatever you do, don't get out of vinyl. Vinyl even can sound good thru some solid state stuff. With all the improvements in digital these days- there is still nothing quite like lp's played thru a good 'table/arm/cart. set-up.

Come on now, a tube guy without vinyl is like a steak without the sizzle. I mean, really.

Don't you sell 'tables anymore?

WEEZ

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #14 on: 8 Jun 2004, 03:03 am »
Whatever you do, don't get out of vinyl. Vinyl even can sound good thru some solid state stuff. With all the improvements in digital these days- there is still nothing quite like lp's played thru a good 'table/arm/cart. set-up

Weez, maybe I was a bit harsh on my wording. I don't think I will ever get out of vinyl completely but have backed off quite a bit. I do not have a table at home and when at the shop, all my time is spent under the hood of tube amps at the work benches. I though summer was supposed to be the slow season but it appears that everyone want to send in their amps, or purchase new custom built units, while the sun is out so they can be ready when it's time to nestle back in for the colder seasons.

I have far too many LPs to get out of it anyway (7500 pieces last year, now down to about 3500 and holding steady) and do truly enjoy what little time I get to spin tunes on my Audio Note table. Maybe I should take it off my "Specials" page and finsih up the mods I have been planning for this table. When I finsih my reference test system, I would probably kick myself in the arse for letting it go.
  What was I thinking?

As far as selling tables, I am looking into a new line to pick up. I have always loved the Music Hall tables and the MMF-7 is hard to beat but I want to get into the higher ranks now. I really like a certian company but not the looks of the tables. Hhmmm... what do I do? Another manufacturer has a few tables I am very interested in and will probably be grabing these later this summer.

I can only be spread so thin and with the Chicago location opening, overload of mod and custom order work, and the ever lasting onslaught of family medical (cancer) situations, I have to take one thing at a time right now.

WEEZ

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2004, 03:58 am »
Hey Bill - is the Audio Note based on the Systemdek design? If I recall correctly- that was an excellent 'table- so I assume the Audio Note is as well. ( Never had a chance to hear either one- so I'm just going by hearsay).

(Didn't mean to give you any s--- about vinyl- this is the wrong circle for that and I apologize to you and to the Gateway people).

I just hate to see people get out of vinyl............. :bawl:

best to ya,

WEEZ

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2004, 11:50 am »
Hey Bill - is the Audio Note based on the Systemdek design? If I recall correctly- that was an excellent 'table- so I assume the Audio Note is as well. ( Never had a chance to hear either one- so I'm just going by hearsay).

Yes, it is based on the Systemdek and basically the same table. Needs a few little tweaks to be a very good table such as replacing the bottom plate with an MDF piece and adding cones (I'll be using Pandafeet). I also want to replace the arm mounting platform with a piece of solid maple.

(Didn't mean to give you any s--- about vinyl- this is the wrong circle for that and I apologize to you and to the Gateway people).

I'm sure they don't mind, nor do I. They probably all feel the same way. From those I have spoken with, it is obviously a great bunch of people that enjoy this hobby as much as you and I do.

I just hate to see people get out of vinyl.............

You and me both.