Anybody interested in an antique motorcycle?

DeadFish

Anybody interested in an antique motorcycle?
« on: 20 Jan 2012, 03:30 am »
Hey guys, I'm not sure if anyone would be interested, but if anyone wants an old project bike, I've got one I want to finally part with.  I rode and worked on it a long time ago, but my time is past, and I have nowhere to go with it. 
It is a 1974 Suzuki GT750, commonly called a 'Water Buffalo'.  It is a triple cylinder, 2 stroke that is water cooled.  At the time, 2nd fastest to the Kawasaki H2, but more easy on the butt!  It was made for touring.  Google if curious!
I put a lot of miles, bigger pistons and a repaint back in the 80's-90's, and traded it back and forth to my neighbor, but he is gone and I don't need it. It has Basani expansion chambers on it, but still have the stock pipes here too.
If there is any interest at all, lemme know.  I'm extremely negotiable to see it go to someone who can appreciate it.
Thanks for looking.
Bill

TONEPUB

Re: Anybody interested in an antique motorcycle?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2012, 04:55 am »
Good memories there...

Sorry, no time for a bike these days!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2012, 07:34 am »
These bikes generated fierce loyalty in their day. I talked to a Suzuki dealer who told me he had a customer who bought two - one for a friend - and took off for multiple North American tours, putting a very high mileage on them, (I hesitate to say, but I think something like 150,000) then bought two more because they liked them so much, and they were so trouble free. Also an inline triple two stroke feels like an inline 6 - smoooth!

Suzuki made some great bikes over the years. The rotary comes to mind, too. I really loved my 1978 GS 550. Bulletproof engine, and smooth!

DeadFish

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2012, 10:11 am »
Exactly my position, both ways.  Had a lot of fun on it.  :thumb:

Good memories there...

Sorry, no time for a bike these days!

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2012, 01:47 pm »
I had a series of Yamaha RD and RZ350's as some of my first bikes.  Love 2 strokes.

The last RZ350 I had ran with a set of Allspeed pipes.  The Bassani's are well respected expansion chambers for sure.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2012, 02:41 pm »
My first street bike was a 1973 Kawasaki H1 triple. Fun times for sure, love me a mosquito fogger. If it were an H1 or H2, I'd be very interested, just never really liked the feel of the Water Buffalo.  :thumb:

DeadFish

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2012, 02:49 pm »
Definitely a different bike there, Mitsuman!
There was an article on the December/January issue of "CafeRacer" magazine about a guy that has been restoring and/or tricking out H2's and there is some LOVELY work in those pictures!

I just hate throwing the 'Buffalo' away in a yard sale.

Both brands of bikes were something for their day before they learned how to make fast valved bikes.

electricbear

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2012, 05:19 pm »
My first bike was a Suzuki GT250. It was a twin. The license plate was AGG85S. Funny how I can remember a plate from 30 years ago but don't remember what I had for dinner yesterday. If I were still in the Lou I would be all over the buffalo. Hope it goes to a good home Bill.

DeadFish

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2012, 05:32 pm »
Got some interest already, Tim!  Just not local, and I hoped to make it easy for someone.
I know what you mean about 'mystery numbers' from the past. 
I can tell you that when I bowled leagues when I was a kid, I always looked for a particular bowling ball with the serial numbers 'ILR586'.  Now why do I waste neurons on that?
What WAS for dinner yesterday, anyways?
Hope all is well for you and the move worthwhile!  :thumb:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2012, 05:59 pm »
Definitely a different bike there, Mitsuman!
There was an article on the December/January issue of "CafeRacer" magazine about a guy that has been restoring and/or tricking out H2's and there is some LOVELY work in those pictures!

I just hate throwing the 'Buffalo' away in a yard sale.

Both brands of bikes were something for their day before they learned how to make fast valved bikes.

Frame geometry and rigidity were not well understood back then. Anything over 115 mph on the H1 was an adventure for sure.  :o But riding along on the highway at 60 mph, kicking it down into 3rd and grabbing a handful of throttle while the wheel came up sure generated alot of interesting looks from the cars next to you.  :lol:

edit: and I mispoke, my Mach III was a 1972 model.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2012, 03:54 pm »
I thought you guys would have a good laugh with this picture. I was a junior in high school, and had just gotten my bike back after getting hit from behind by my buddy driving his Chevelle. I broke my thumb, and you can see the cast on my right hand.

Keep in mind, this was a polaroid photo that was scanned so the quality is bad. I had put the tank, side covers, and rear tailight assembly from a 1976 H1 on it, but this was my 72' Mach III.

siava1018

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2012, 05:17 pm »
mmm i love older bikes..

wedweb

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2012, 05:55 pm »
I guess with 3 cyl that it doesn't have high mpg?  If I were to get one, it would have to be inexpensive and do about 75mpg or more.  I have been thinking about getting a 250 enduro just for commuting and trails.  PM me on price and mpg.

Bo

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2012, 06:51 pm »
It's not that it's three cylinders so much as it's a heavy two stroke, and not a highly tuned one. If you want economy, and to do trails, you certainly don't want a Suzuki 750 triple! The key is in the nickname "Water Buffalo". It is a big, fairly heavy, comfortable tourer and, being two stroke, is not fuel efficient. A 4 stroke enduro of the size you mention would do the trick and offer maximum versatility in the bargain. It could be as large as 400cc (or 399cc - some regions take a major insurance rate hike at 400cc) and still return good fuel economy, but not likely if it's 2 stroke.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2012, 07:02 pm »
Yep, it would rival the ill fated, mercifully stillborn Hodaka Trail Whale concept bike in it's lack of offroad prowess.
Russell Dawkins gives good advice, look for a small modern water cooled thumper.  You'd better have a long inseam for an enduro, though.
Don't go too small as being able to outrun a semi is a useful feature.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2012, 07:31 pm »
On one hand I have a wife.
On the other, I have a "want" for a bike.

She says she's fine with me having a want for a bike, but that's as far as it goes.  :(

Neat machine Bill. Very cool.
Bob

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2012, 08:13 pm »

doug s.  8)

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2012, 09:16 pm »
Bob,

Some math for you.

(Me + BSA Twin Lightning) + future wife = Me + future wife.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm »
Bob,

Some math for you.

(Me + BSA Twin Lightning) + future wife = Me + future wife.

was that "minus" BSA Twin Lightning?

DeadFish

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2012, 10:26 pm »
I'm really surprised at the interest in this thread!
At present, the 'Buffalo' is still buried in my storage container.  I stress again as in the first post that it is a 'project' bike, meaning it MUST be worked on and a work of love for being what it is.  All the parts are there and attached except for the aircleaner box.  It has not been on the road in a number of years. 
Being in St. Louis area, I had hoped someone in St. Louis might be interested, able to see it and decide whether they wanted to fool with it as it would be a neat project.  My neighbor was the last to ride it and he MADE me take it when I bought another bike from him 5 years ago, as we frequently traded it back and forth depending on whose garage was full.
Without doubt, even if rebuilt, it would still be heavy on the gasoline and heavy on the road.  It is a heavy bike, but quite unique.  The first water-cooled bike I knew of.
Two fellows have contacted me privately so far from Kansas City and Minnesota, so it is a transportation issue if someone wants it.  Anyone wanting to pick it up would need to think hard on the miles to get it and getting it loaded.  I can probably get my son to help, but I'm no longer physically able to help on that score.
IF I can get in and get a picture or two, I'll try but it will be a few days.
Thanks again for everybody stirring the pot and talking this stuff.  It is neat that someone else liked these things besides me.  I learned a lot working on it, as I rebuilt the top end of the engine 25 years ago with new pistons and rings, but I would take it apart again before trying to ride it.
Again, everyone, thanks for the round of conversation!

Best Regards,
DeadFish