James: about my Bryston amp not sounding perfect unless on a long time?

95Dyna

My 7B SST2's start to loosen up noticeably in about 30 min.  By the one hour mark they are as good as they get.  I do not leave any of my stuff on 24/7 thinking it to be a complete waste of energy.  I just turn it on when I get home in the PM and turn on a radio station at low volume and that gives the 7's a good head start.

Mag

Can't say I notice my amps sounding better after being on for hours. I do however have my BDA-1 on all the time, so my MC stereo sounds superb right off the bat. :P

jas007

I've got a complete Bryston system, and I can't say that I notice any difference from when I first turn it on until later in the day.

OwenMeany

I have the 28BSSTs and I have found them virtually unlistenable unless they have been on for at least 12 hours. As I live in SoCal I don't leave them on 24/7  between June and November, but typically do in the cooler months.

What concerns me more is that one mono block gets significantly warmer than the other. Where one is "warm" the other it hot to the touch...

Not sure these helps the conversation, but if anyone has a comment on the heat issue, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, jtb

sfraser

I have noticed my 4B's sound better after a little while of listening....but that might have something to do with the listener's  intake of...well....err...lets just say the perhaps it has more to do with the listener "warming" up then the amps  :P

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
I have the 28BSSTs and I have found them virtually unlistenable unless they have been on for at least 12 hours. As I live in SoCal I don't leave them on 24/7  between June and November, but typically do in the cooler months.

What concerns me more is that one mono block gets significantly warmer than the other. Where one is "warm" the other it hot to the touch...

Not sure these helps the conversation, but if anyone has a comment on the heat issue, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, jtb

Hi jtb,

Try changing the positions of the amps and see if the same amp heats up.  If it does then I would say the bias current needs adjusting.

james

spinner

After 12 years 0f owning my 4Bst I get a smoother ,more focused overall sound after about 30-4o minutes. That's about the second glass of Shiraz as well. :wine:

Deftone

Hi jtb,

Try changing the positions of the amps and see if the same amp heats up.  If it does then I would say the bias current needs adjusting.

james

James,

What is the average temperature for the 4bsst2?How hot or warm should it be?Mine is a little bit hot to the touch but would'nt burn my hands off.

By the way when will the BIT U.K. version be release?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
James,

What is the average temperature for the 4bsst2?How hot or warm should it be?Mine is a little bit hot to the touch but would'nt burn my hands off.

Hi

The temperatures will vary depending upon the load they are driving. The chassis and top plate are designed as additional heat sinks so it is normal for them to get warm or hot depending on load.  There are thermal connectors on each channel which will shut the channel down if it exceeds the allowable temperature.

We are still looking at what we will do on the BIT for overseas markets.  I could probably build you a custom unit if you want.

james

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
James,

Mine is in a fairly enclosed space, about 1 inch airflow space above the unit and basically nothing on the sides, and even after some serious annoying of my neighbors it does not go over 45 degrees celcius.

Deftone

Mine is in a fairly enclosed space, about 1 inch airflow space above the unit and basically nothing on the sides, and even after some serious annoying of my neighbors it does not go over 45 degrees celcius.

Mine is well ventilated all around and it does get a little bit more than warm and not that extremely hot where you can fry an egg.

won ton on

my 4bsst2 sounds fine within an hour. although i leave my 26 mc on all the time.do you guys leave your pre amp on. could it be your speakers ,no problem with my martin-logans

OwenMeany

Hi jtb,

james

James -

I did have them on two selves one right above the other and the upper one was the one getting hot;thinking the heat from the lower one was overheating the upper one, I rearrange my rack shelving and now the amps are free and clear from each other. But, the one is still getting much hotter. So, I think your suggestion regarding the bias is a legitimate one.

Is this something I can do?

Thanks for responding, jtb

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
One last thing before you send them to be fixed. Try swapping the amps and make certain it is the amp and not some problem with the speaker.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
  Elizabeth have you ever demagnetized your system ??

This thread inspired me to pull out my XLO Test/Burn-In disc for the first time in years and run the demag tracks three times each or so - wow! Totally worthwhile. Like lifting a blanket off my speakers.

My 7B SST2's start to loosen up noticeably in about 30 min.  By the one hour mark they are as good as they get.  I do not leave any of my stuff on 24/7 thinking it to be a complete waste of energy. .

Also holding a pair of 7's here and this pretty much mirrors my experience. My system is in a Target stand so it's open above, behind and to the sides - I can run the system for hours at moderate levels and the 7's get warm to the touch but that's about it. I use a tubed pre w/ six tubes inside and as one would expect, that gets a lot warmer.

D.D.

FM Acoustics

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/28320-bryston-vs-pass-xa-6.html#post330340

"CAVEAT on Bryston amplifiers.

They are used by the CBC recording studios (Canadain Broadcasting Corporation, the Canadian government runs the outfit).

The joke among the CBC engineers is that if they want to do any recording on Monday, they turn the Bryston amplifiers on, on the Friday before and leave them on all weekend.

There is a reason for this..

Bryston amps are tested initially after construction, and then set to be as close to spec as possible to keep them stable and then run for THREE DAYS continuously and 1/3 power, on/in a giant loading rack/room.

They are taken out, still hot..and under those thermal and running conditions, are tweaked for the best null in crossover distortion and DC offset. This, while they are still hot and running.

What this does to the sound of a Bryston is that they then will NOT sound GOOD until the THIRD DAY of continous NON STOP-NON-INTERRUPTED RUNNING. It is very strange, but it can be heard. Sudddenly, over a period of about 20 minutes, on the their Third day... Bryston power amps will suddenly sound ...good! You can actually hear it happen. (the same effect occurs when calibrating CRT projectors, the calibration time frame and proceedure will re-occur each time the unit is turned on)

Until that moment happens, they sound harsh.

This means, give a Bryston three days or more before you attempt to evaluate it's sonic qualities.

Bryston themselves tell you to never turn off a Bryston amplifier. They are designed to be left on 24/7."

James Tanner

• Facilitator
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CORRECTION - the amps are cycled for 100 hours at FULL power. 1 hour ON and 1 hour OFF into a capacitor (serious stress) to make sure there are no component failures (called infant mortality).  :thumb:

So they are not on continuously for 3 days at the factory and the bias etc is set after the final hour of burn in.

James
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2011, 01:52 pm by James Tanner »

larevoj

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CORRECTION - the amps are cycled for 100 hours at FULL power. 1 hour ON and 1 hour OFF into a capacitor (serious stress) to make sure there are no component failures (called infant mortality).  :thumb:

So they are not on continuously for 3 days at the factory and the bias etc is set after the final hour of burn in.

James

Hi James, does it meant that the bias is set only when its real HOT?? Or in another words the optimal sound is at least after 100 hours at standby in a home domestic condition before any serious listening??

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
A 'solid' amp (dense, heavy, etc) like a Bryston, having been on heavily stressed for an hour, then off for an hour, that amp is NOT going to cool off a whole lot in just an hour. So it will be at the full temp again within fifteen minutes.. IMO.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Hi James, does it meant that the bias is set only when its real HOT?? Or in another words the optimal sound is at least after 100 hours at standby in a home domestic condition before any serious listening??

Hi,

It is done at what we would consider normal operating temperature - after it has been on for one hour.

james