Bryston B60R Guts!

lanchile

Bryston B60R Guts!
« on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:58 am »
Here you have some pictures of the inside of the "small tank" Bryston B60-R. Quality all over, "No cutting corners here" and customer service is one of the best, period!
Bryston puts pride in their amps, it is not just another amp.....IT IS A BRYSTON !!! :thumb:

Ozi

• If it don't weigh enough, it can't play enough
Re: Bryston B60R Guts!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:19 pm »
Bryston is really fair.

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:44 pm »
+1

It is a nice clean layout.

They could have made that long green jumper cable shorter.

Here you have some pictures of the inside of the "small tank" Bryston B60-R. Quality all over, "No cutting corners here" and customer service is one of the best, period!
Bryston puts pride in their amps, it is not just another amp.....IT IS A BRYSTON !!! :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2010, 03:33 pm »

They could have made that long green jumper cable shorter.

That one's not too bad, mines longer :D

And I've got more where that came from.

4BSSt

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2010, 05:00 pm »
Rob,

your B60 is newer (younger) than Lanchile's one, right?!?

al.

rob80b

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2010, 05:43 pm »
Rob,

your B60 is newer (younger) than Lanchile's one, right?!?

al.

Hi Al

Right, mine is from 2002 with the newer transistors,

also I did a facelift this year to the SST.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2010, 03:13 am »
I love my B60.  I'll never part with it, unless of course it's to pass on to my daughter.  Being 10 days old today, she's got a long ways to go before she can use it properly.  No doubt it'll still be working quite well when she gets her first place!

Also, the SST output devices are a bit deceiving.  I had Mike Pickett and crew upgrade mine to SST status a few months ago.  The SST output devices they installed in mine look exactly the same as the old ones - the round silver ones.  Mike called me and told about it before it shipped because he didn't want me to open it up and think I got ripped off.

rob80b

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2010, 03:59 am »
I love my B60.  I'll never part with it, unless of course it's to pass on to my daughter.  Being 10 days old today, she's got a long ways to go before she can use it properly.  No doubt it'll still be working quite well when she gets her first place!

Also, the SST output devices are a bit deceiving.  I had Mike Pickett and crew upgrade mine to SST status a few months ago.  The SST output devices they installed in mine look exactly the same as the old ones - the round silver ones.  Mike called me and told about it before it shipped because he didn't want me to open it up and think I got ripped off.

Well I guess you'll have to ask Mike about that one, but one thing's for sure your daughter will be pushing buttons and picking her music before you know it, maybe before she starts walking.

Congrats!

Robert

1ZIP

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2010, 04:01 am »
Did you notice any sonic difference with the upgrade?

Congratulations by the way!

servingko

Re: Bryston B60R C facelift
« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2010, 01:22 pm »
Rob, could you tell us the cost of the B60 "facelift"?  Did you replace just the front plate or the faceplate and the knobs.  Thanks!

rob80b

Re: Bryston B60R C facelift
« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2010, 02:38 pm »
Rob, could you tell us the cost of the B60 "facelift"?  Did you replace just the front plate or the faceplate and the knobs.  Thanks!

Hi servingo,

I lucked out when jaxwired changed his from black to silver, but he mentioned $200.00 for the front plate and knobs.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80116.0
Yes I replaced just the front plate and knobs, this will not work with the 1st generation and the 2nd generation which I have needs a slight modification either to the chassis or plate as mentioned in the post.

My B60 is from 2002 I believe, and is current with the SST. The front layout is the exact same but there are 4 pins on the inside of the faceplate which line up with the holes in the chassis, the new SST face plate has one pin, the 2nd from the left which does not line up so I either had to remove the pin or drill a new hole, I chose the latter to retain the strength
also I left the two screws just on top behind the face plate out as the holes are partially covered, although screws with a smaller head will work.
So yes there is some work involved and most likely a new cover and chassis front to make it completely kosher $$$$.
Long story short I was just about to call Bryston about a new face plate with the normal labeling of the inputs and remote hole when Tom shared his face swap and the rest was history.

Robert

Robert

Stu Pitt

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2010, 03:52 pm »
Thanks Rob.   From what I gathered/remember from the conversation with Mike, the SST outputs he put into my B60 were NOS SST outputs.  He used them because they were a direct drop in replacement from the old ones, therefore minimal/no modification was needed to the board.

The output devices I got are basically the same as the current ones. They were the initial run from Motorolla (I think that's who makes them) before they changed the way they look.  Mike claimed they measured exactly the same, except that mine have slightly better dissipation, or was it dispersion?   Can't remember, and didn't know what it meant at the time anyway.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2010, 04:01 pm »
Thank you 1Zip. 

The differences are pretty apparent to me, as I owned the amp for 3 years or so before the upgrade, and didn't change anything else in the system afterward.  I'm not sure if a casual listener would appreciate all the differences I heard...

Everything got better.  There were zero trade-offs.  The biggest difference was sweeter highs - a touch more liquid sounding, and a bit less grain.  I didn't really notice any of this before, but when you change it it becomes more obvious.   There's more insight into the recording and better detail.  It's also a bit cleaner sounding.

By far the best $120 I've spent on it.  Far better than the $125 Shunyata Diamondback power cord - which is very good.

The only hard part of it was waiting for the 100 hours of burn in.  Well worth it in the end, but I got a little antsy, as a few others here have. 

whatsthisone

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2010, 04:06 pm »
86 -  :bawl:
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2011, 02:42 am by whatsthisone »

rob80b

« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2010, 04:37 pm »
Thanks Rob.   From what I gathered/remember from the conversation with Mike, the SST outputs he put into my B60 were NOS SST outputs.  He used them because they were a direct drop in replacement from the old ones, therefore minimal/no modification was needed to the board.

The output devices I got are basically the same as the current ones. They were the initial run from Motorolla (I think that's who makes them) before they changed the way they look.  Mike claimed they measured exactly the same, except that mine have slightly better dissipation, or was it dispersion?   Can't remember, and didn't know what it meant at the time anyway.

Hi Stu,

That was my suspicion, but I couldn’t read the Motorolla numbers from my photos and didn’t want to open my BR60 again to verify.
DIY’ers quite often coveted the can type transistors over the newer ones so I’d be happy with what you have.

Robert

Stu Pitt

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:34 am »
I am extremely happy with what I have, Rob.  It's not the perfect amp for everybody, but it is the perfect amp for me. 

lanchile

« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:35 am »
I love this integrated amplifier, it is very well build,The sound is phenomenal, Quality all over.all discrete circuit. Bryston did an excellent job creating this little tank. Bryston did not cut corners here. When We invest in a bryston product...we invest for life!!!. Thanks Bryston. :thumb:

1ZIP

« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2010, 06:34 am »
Thank you 1Zip. 

The differences are pretty apparent to me, as I owned the amp for 3 years or so before the upgrade, and didn't change anything else in the system afterward.  I'm not sure if a casual listener would appreciate all the differences I heard...

Everything got better.  There were zero trade-offs.  The biggest difference was sweeter highs - a touch more liquid sounding, and a bit less grain.  I didn't really notice any of this before, but when you change it it becomes more obvious.   There's more insight into the recording and better detail.  It's also a bit cleaner sounding.

By far the best $120 I've spent on it.  Far better than the $125 Shunyata Diamondback power cord - which is very good.

The only hard part of it was waiting for the 100 hours of burn in.  Well worth it in the end, but I got a little antsy, as a few others here have.

You convinced me....I'm going to ship my BP-60 AND 4B ST back after Christmas and have the SST output package(s) installed.

whatsthisone

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:44 pm »
86 :o
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2011, 02:40 am by whatsthisone »

Stu Pitt

« Reply #19 on: 12 Dec 2010, 02:32 am »
whatsthisone-

When I first bought my B60, I ran PSB Image T55s.  They sounded very good together.  I moved up to Audio Physic Yara Evolution bookshelves.  They were a very big upgrade.  I say this because as good as your system sounds, the B60 will easily show you upgrades in the system.

I really liked the PSBs.  A very easy to live with sound.  My main criticism was that they could get a touch dry at times.  If it was a second system, I'd have lived with them until they died.  Being my only system, I needed to move on after the amp and CDP upgrade.  The PSBs were bought for an NAD 320BEE and 523 CDP.

Not trying to spend your money, just letting you know the B60 is capable of even more goodness if/when you upgrade.