Are you still impressed?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Are you still impressed?
« Reply #40 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:27 pm »
Yeah, true, let's get back on topic here before James closes the thread.

Anyway, I appreciate the Bryston equipment because it doesn't get in the way of the sound of the recording.

werd

« Reply #41 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:28 pm »
Volks

Did you try the 14B or 7's?  You are comparing a 4b with an amp thats twice as much in cost and considerable more power. I have been listening to Mac gear lately and its great but you lose out on the pace. That lushness comes at a cost. That lushness is colored btw.

I am driving my 14B with a Response audio pre and it has a really nice organic/lush sound that doesn't lose out on its pace. The 14/7s are tweakable and work really well in all sound playback tastes i have noticed.

vegasdave

« Reply #42 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:32 pm »
The topic posed by a Bryston user was "Are you still impressed?", not "Are you still impressed? (But if not, please don't reply or tell us why)".  Your somewhat overly zealous and overly defensive postured stance would be more appropiate if he somehow maligned your first-born child.  Which he didn't.

Instead, be proud that the majority of responses were "Yes!".  As someone who has considered, but cannot yet afford Bryston gear, it is a little off putting.

BTW, I see you have FM Acoustics interconnects.  Bryston makes interconnects.  Traitor!

Steve

Ok no, my system isn't 100 percent Bryston, but do I go on and on about how great my interconnects and cd player are around here? No, I don't. I also don't announce that I'm selling gear around this board either. There's the trading post for that.

I would like to try Bryston cables, and I've been thinking about getting the new speaker cable!

And the only way I'm selling my Bryston gear is to upgrade to a higher model and in the event of an emergency.

vegasdave

« Reply #43 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:37 pm »
Volks

Did you try the 14B or 7's?  You are comparing a 4b with an amp thats twice as much in cost and considerable more power. I have been listening to Mac gear lately and its great but you lose out on the pace. That lushness comes at a cost. That lushness is colored btw.

I am driving my 14B with a Response audio pre and it has a really nice organic/lush sound that doesn't lose out on its pace. The 14/7s are tweakable and work really well in all sound playback tastes i have noticed.

I agree! He should have tried the higher end Brystons first. The 14B is the logical comparison to the 452.

VOLKS

« Reply #44 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:05 pm »
Volks

Hi Werd........i actually did try the 14BSST2 and i liked it  it was very good(afterall i still like the 4BSST2)....there indeed was better slam-bass control......it was like an extension of the 4BSST2 ....however again it lacked in midrange when compared to the Mcintosh.....both amps are great and build quaility is #1 ,but at the end of the day i took home the one that sounded best to my ears .............BTW...the CD's were played on my BDC-1 hooked up to the Mcintosh gear.......wonderful combo.

vegasdave

« Reply #45 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:17 pm »
Hi Werd........i actually did try the 14BSST2 and i liked it  it was very good(afterall i still like the 4BSST2)....there indeed was better slam-bass control......it was like an extension of the 4BSST2 ....however again it lacked in midrange when compared to the Mcintosh.....both amps are great and build quaility is #1 ,but at the end of the day i took home the one that sounded best to my ears .............BTW...the CD's were played on my BDC-1 hooked up to the Mcintosh gear.......wonderful combo.

Go here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Napalm

« Reply #46 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:53 pm »
Does your audio gear still impress or dare I say surprise you at times?

It used to surprise me every time my lovely better half moved the speakers ever so slightly when cleaning. It was like "WTF this sounds weird  :scratch: try another CD  :scratch: check power :scratch: check cables  :scratch: check speakers  :idea: :o  :duh: :argue: ".

It all ended when I decided to bolt them down to the floor.

No surprises now.

Nap.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #47 on: 30 Nov 2010, 09:33 pm »

Waiting on a Purity One I bought after having a mini shootout of 2 tubed pres and my ss pre, one tubed pre being a Response Bella, which was liked by all, along with my 4B and Rega cdp.

And yes, just appreciating my 4B more and more as I 'bump up' the components around it.

rob80b

« Reply #48 on: 30 Nov 2010, 09:55 pm »
Does your audio gear still impress or dare I say surprise you at times?

Be well…

Yes,yes and then yes.
But then again I don't have "Mcintosh". 8)
(sorry Volks, couldn't help myself))

No, in all seriousness the new Mcintosh looks quite impressive and I'm sure VOLKS is enjoying his new acquisitions.
As much as we all really like and are proud of our Bryston gear it may not be for everyone.

vegasdave

« Reply #49 on: 1 Dec 2010, 01:36 am »
Yes,yes and then yes.
But then again I don't have "Mcintosh". 8)
(sorry Volks, couldn't help myself))

No, in all seriousness the new Mcintosh looks quite impressive and I'm sure VOLKS is enjoying his new acquisitions.
As much as we all really like and are proud of our Bryston gear it may not be for everyone.

Well, they definitely have that (looks) going for them. Of course not. I do understand not everyone likes Bryston. That's obvious. Anyway, I believe I've made my point here loud and clear regarding Volks. What he said just rubbed me the wrong way. End of story.

Anyway, again, let's try to stay on topic here. I'm not gonna respond to any Volks-related posts any further. If you wish to discuss it with me, pm me.

Waker

« Reply #50 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:49 am »
2010 has been an upgrade year for me.  In April, I went from my 4BSST to the new 7B2 amps.  (The 7s won over a pair of Audio Research VTM 200s, circa 2005.)  The 7s continue to amaze me in their resolution and depth.  I run a single-box Wadia CDP/preamp straight into the 7s--very linear.  I continue to experience the 7Bs as extremely dynamic and crystal clear.  And I am entrusting my Maggie 3.6Rs to the power of the 7Bs. I have (again) just replaced the fuses in the Maggies with 5amp and 10 amp values--far in excess of factory spec for protection--I may as well not have fuses.  But I am not worried--the 7Bs are unflappable. I have never blown a Maggie fuse, not even with my 2003 4BSST.  And so, yes, I am still "lost in love" with the sound, more into the music than ever.  I could just cry.   :lol:           

vegasdave

« Reply #51 on: 1 Dec 2010, 10:39 am »
Cool, Waker. What are some of the other things you like about your Bryston equipment?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

GaryArthur

« Reply #53 on: 1 Dec 2010, 06:08 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81282.0

james

James,

Well said.

A couple of months ago I told my Bryston dealer that my favorite amp that I had actually heard was the VTL Siegfried Reference tube amps at 800 watts per channel. And then I ordered a pair of 28's on faith, unheard and untested by me. I'm sure they will become my new favorite amp and the BMW that I can buy with the price difference can become my favorite car.

If however someone comes on here and rips on Bryston I'm sure you will see a spirited defense.

BTW I didn't know they could drive a truck from Canada to Los Angeles so slowly. Where are my 28's?

Gary

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 1 Dec 2010, 06:10 pm »
Hi Gary,

What dealer did you order the 28Bs through and I will check.  How long has it been?

james

GaryArthur

« Reply #55 on: 1 Dec 2010, 06:24 pm »
James,

Ordered them from "My Custom Theater" - Joe Soto. I don't remember the exact order date. Probably not as long ago as I think.

Gary

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 1 Dec 2010, 06:53 pm »
James,

Ordered them from "My Custom Theater" - Joe Soto. I don't remember the exact order date. Probably not as long ago as I think.

Gary

Ok I will check.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 1 Dec 2010, 07:18 pm »
Hi GaryArthur,

OK checked and your 28B's are leaving this week :thumb:
Its been about 3 weeks - sorry for the delay.     

james

GaryArthur

« Reply #58 on: 1 Dec 2010, 07:55 pm »
James,

Thanks for the update. I've got my CES badge and will give you my review there.

PS: to my fellow Bryston enthusiats, sorry to drag the thread down with my personal order but isn't it cool to have James jump in so often with info. I'm still impressed!!!

Gary

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #59 on: 1 Dec 2010, 08:49 pm »
+1

James,

Thanks for the update. I've got my CES badge and will give you my review there.

PS: to my fellow Bryston enthusiats, sorry to drag the thread down with my personal order but isn't it cool to have James jump in so often with info. I'm still impressed!!!

Gary