Not the ideal room for tubes or solidstate,to heck with it.

ricko01

Re: Not the ideal room for tubes or solidstate,to heck with it.
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2010, 07:56 pm »
live vs recorded music through studio monitors

BUT.............. What you or I hear in the studio monitors is not what, in a vast majority of the cases,  will appear on the recorded medium the consumer has in his/her hand.

For example, I have records of Lightning Hopkins, who just sings and play his guitar. Due to the magic of the recording process his voice is in the left channel and his guitar is in the right. Hardly a natural event.

You seem to take my comment about producers/engineers very personal.. there are of course producers/engineers who strive to make as pure a recording as possible (aka an audiophile pressing)  but I still stand by my comments that sounded "squeezed" into a recording will almost never not match the real event of the recording.

ricko01

« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:06 pm »
using just one mic

they were mono recordings?... not trying to be sarcastic here.... just interested

ricko01

« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:30 pm »
they were mono recordings?... not trying to be sarcastic here.... just interested

wow... quoting myself... very stange.

Just a final point(s), by the best guesses there are 25000+ new, unique recordings released in the USA every year.

Chesky have released less than 60 SACD's. So even if you add up all the releases of chesky and the other audiophile quality labels that care about the end product, they are swamped/drowned out by those released by more consumer oriented labels.

The other point is in the old days (just like in many other industries), access to professional equipment was limited to.... professionals. But as technology advances have made better equipment available to professionals they have also made it cost effective for semi-pro/amatuers to use advanced technology. Having technology is one thing, Having the skills and experience to use it wisely is another.

95Dyna

« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:22 pm »
wow... quoting myself... very stange.

Just a final point(s), by the best guesses there are 25000+ new, unique recordings released in the USA every year.

Chesky have released less than 60 SACD's. So even if you add up all the releases of chesky and the other audiophile quality labels that care about the end product, they are swamped/drowned out by those released by more consumer oriented labels.

The other point is in the old days (just like in many other industries), access to professional equipment was limited to.... professionals. But as technology advances have made better equipment available to professionals they have also made it cost effective for semi-pro/amatuers to use advanced technology. Having technology is one thing, Having the skills and experience to use it wisely is another.

Hi Ricko01,

If you would be so kind as to ask me a question that demonstrates you have thoroughly read my post, considered its context and the spirit of the post I would be happy to respond to your questions.  I can help you out by pointing out that I don't care at all how many SACD's Chesky has produced, I don't care whether they are mono, stereo, 5.1 or 7.1, CD or SACD.  Also, my post was a response to prosoundman and not you even though prosoundman attacked you personally at the beginning of his post that I was responding to.  I was merely relating my experience to a comment he made.  It is not my intention to enter your mudslinging contest with prosoundman.

Regards,

Bill

KeithA

« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:53 pm »
Wow, there are a few posts in this thread that do nothing except provide good support for the existence of restraining orders :roll:

Keith

ricko01

« Reply #25 on: 25 Feb 2010, 11:48 pm »
Hi Ricko01,

If you would be so kind as to ask me a question that demonstrates you have thoroughly read my post, considered its context and the spirit of the post I would be happy to respond to your questions.  I can help you out by pointing out that I don't care at all how many SACD's Chesky has produced, I don't care whether they are mono, stereo, 5.1 or 7.1, CD or SACD.  Also, my post was a response to prosoundman and not you even though prosoundman attacked you personally at the beginning of his post that I was responding to.  I was merely relating my experience to a comment he made.  It is not my intention to enter your mudslinging contest with prosoundman.

Regards,

Bill

Bill, I read the post and understood it.... and my query was genuine... hence me framing it that it wasn’t a sarcastic comment.

I was interested to understand if Chesky were producing NEW recordings in mono. I would be very interested in looking into that myself.

Also I don’t believe I am in a "pissing match" with prosoundman.

Nothing he has said to me has offended me, his outlook is perfectly valid... given he may care about the quality of work he produces... but my view is also valid... That music is a consumer product and in the vast majority of cases somewhere along the way the original sound is "distorted" in various ways that reduce its fidelity to the original musical performance.

And as with my 1st post on this thread, because of this view,  I wear the glasses of a pragmatist and endeavor to extract the maximum information from a recording but I don’t get caught up in the ideal that I will hear the music as it was originally played in the studio.

Also note that my view point is potentially tainted as I almost exclusively listen to Blues, for which very little audiophile quality recordings exist.

For example, on sa-cd.net, it lists 68 SACD Blues titles in comparison to 990 Jazz and 3774 Classical.

So I am not that well served and therefore , at least in respect to digitally based Blues recordings, what I have available is mainly CD based and while some care is heard in the effort used to recorded these sessions, the general standard is average.

Peter O'Shea

(Ricko is my nickname from childhood)

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #26 on: 26 Feb 2010, 12:06 am »

Also note that my view point is potentially tainted as I almost exclusively listen to Blues, for which very little audiophile quality recordings exist.

For example, on sa-cd.net, it lists 68 SACD Blues titles in comparison to 990 Jazz and 3774 Classical.

So I am not that well served and therefore , at least in respect to digitally based Blues recordings, what I have available is mainly CD based and while some care is heard in the effort used to recorded these sessions, the general standard is average.

Peter O'Shea

(Ricko is my nickname from childhood)

Hello Ricko01,

I feel your pain, I enjoy Gothic music and very seldom do I run across any of this music genre in SACD format. I did order a Dead Can Dance SACD box set and I am still awaiting delivery. Now with vinyl I will have more options available.

Be well…

CABrystonOwner10

« Reply #27 on: 26 Feb 2010, 01:53 am »
What snuck into my van was a Audio Research Reference 5 PREAMP,ARs latest preamp.
I didn't bring any AR amps as I have my 28s :thumb:....

Sounds great! I have an old LS25 driving my 9B while my sister is borrowing my parents' Ref 3 to drive her 7B. The Ref 3 is really really nice so the Ref 5 should be even more impressive.

Looking forward to your impression.

ricko01

« Reply #28 on: 26 Feb 2010, 01:55 am »
I think the majority of major releases sound aweful.

What I find ironic is I have many a CD, where in fact 50-60% of the tracks are actually well recorded... so you sit there and scratch your had and wonder why the rest aren't.  And the fact that the poorly recorded tracks are not any more "dense" (i.e. more instruments, more dynamic, louder etc) than the well recorded ones makes it even more strange.  Different sessions, different engineers?

Peter

drummermitchell

« Reply #29 on: 26 Feb 2010, 04:36 am »
We'll I gotta say what a JOY it was to listen to the AR Reference-5 :thumb:.Very nice for sure.
After warming her up for a few hrs,I put on some music,I should say what I was running with the Ref-5
The supply from the wall was twoX240v Balanced Torus(s) 20a(components),60a for the amps.
Amplifiers were the Bryston 28B-SST2s,CDP(BCD-1)and all cabling was XLRs-balanced.

Lots  of supeb music with the 5,one thing I noticed right away was how the bottomend(hope I use the right words)was that kick drums had a very nice billowy soft attack,it was big,soft,but you could also hear the tone of the drum,plus the attack of the beater on the head(Nice surprize).

I found the she's dead quiet.Some music with the strings in the back ground gave me the impression
of how an eerie fog hangs a few feet  above a meadow in the country just at daybreak :bawl:,that was real nice too.kind of driftin in mid air those strings were.
Some latin instruments would also hang out in the forest too and communicate back and forth.

The Audio Research REF-5 is a Superb preamp and she seems to work in harmony with the 28s.

The Bryston 26 is also a Superb preamp,as after I reconnected her up,she woke me up to remind me
just how good she is.She's a quiet one also,once you wake her up though,she's a very much full of life if  you will.
Listening to the bottomend also is SUPERB,some will say lean,That lean I would call control+punchy.
I also love a more controlled punchy  kick,not that the ref-5 didn't have control,just different.
I must say after I reconnected the BP-26 just how SUPERB she is.I was wondering after all the listening with the Ref-5 and then going back to the BP-26,what would I hear,would it be a  major
difference.It is a major difference,but the difference is how each of them portray the music.

One is softer,laid back in a splendid way for sure,and the other is,hmmm what are words lively, punchy,instruments very distinct,with the space also.

I could live with either preamp,they both are up there emotionally for me for MUSIC.
I am very content with the Bryston BP-26,I also could be content with the AR Ref-5.

I'm selfish,I want both as they both offer tremendous musicality to the music and to me.
They are both up there and the differences are is that they just present the music differently.
If I had 14,000 to spare I'd pick her up and then i'd have both as they are both a joy to listen too.

Like some folk I know 2,3-4 rooms with different speakers and gear.That has to be nice:
one to lay back in,one to rock out in,one for island hopping,and another for nightlife.

Anyway that's the way I heard it and it was FUN,emotional and all the good things that come from music.
Jeez, now I got to get up early and take her back to the city, 3hrs.i'll drop her off,say my goodbyes
for now and head to the nearest TIM HORTON"s for a EEEEXTRA LARGE DOUBLE DOUBLE :thumb:..

OOPS,speakers were Revel 50as.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #30 on: 26 Feb 2010, 04:48 am »
NICELY DONE - VERY IMFORMATIVE :D

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #31 on: 26 Feb 2010, 05:02 am »
Thanks James,it's for the music and they both do it so well,just different.
                            YES-NO-YES-NO apples +oranges
                                I like it all,different flavors,reminds ne BBQ weather comin soon,cheers.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #32 on: 26 Feb 2010, 07:59 am »
hey, Drummer!

Tim Horton is great! delicious coffee and donuts...

al.