« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2006, 02:59 pm »
Quote from: KUB3
I can't remeber what hifi sounds like now :(

That just means that you get to rediscover your entire library :D

KUB3

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2006, 12:54 pm »
Wow!!!

Listening to my new active AML1's right now. The clarity is far superior to my previous passive IB2 / 7B SST combo!!! The bass is really tight and hard too.

Mind you I recently installed some acoustic foam bass traps and foam absorbers which helps (on 1st reflection mirror points).

Soundbroker

• http://www.thesoundbroker.com
PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #22 on: 9 Jun 2006, 05:33 am »
Dollar for dollar and pound for pound, the AML-1 is one of THE best speakers on the planet. Truly a reference grade product. Also, I understand from Maurice at PMC that there was a delay on AML-1 production because the laser that cuts the faceplate was down for repairs, adding to the normal production time wait. Add some big studio orders and you have lead times that can stretch into 1 or 2 months. As others have commented...it is SOOO worth the wait! They are a speaker you can spend your life with.

Also, don't forget the "mini AML's", the DB-1SA and TB2SA...the self powered versions of the DB-1 and TB-2. They are also quite excellent. If you have a pair of passives and want to upgrade to run them with the same amp that PMC uses...contact me, I sell them.

KUB3

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2006, 05:06 pm »
After a few weeks of constant listening I am totally happy. I've spent a bomb on new cd's, so that's a good sign :)

Hogg

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #24 on: 17 Jun 2006, 12:16 am »
Has anyone done any serious compariosns with the ATC or Genelec line-up?    I have both the ATC 20-2's and the Genelec HT206B's, both are active.  I'd be very interetsed in anyone's thoughts.  Thanks.

Jim

madders

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2006, 04:54 pm »
Quote from: Hogg
Has anyone done any serious compariosns with the ATC or Genelec line-up?    I have both the ATC 20-2's and the Genelec HT206B's, both are active.  I'd be very interetsed in anyone's thoughts.  Thanks.

Jim

I'll be picking up a pair of AML1's next week. My previous setup was ATC T16's (the Concept 4 system) so I'll let you know  :D

mr_merrick

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jun 2006, 08:50 pm »
I'd be interested to see some pics of the AniMaL's doing some severe domestic violence outside of their studio habitat...

The Bogg

Re: PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #27 on: 25 Jun 2006, 04:18 am »
Hogg,
I have compared the ATC 50 to the IB1s and MB2s.
I have both active and passive 50s - let me know if you want any details.
haven't heard any genelecs.

madders

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jun 2006, 12:06 pm »
With regards to comparisons, I've never been able to get on with Genelec's as my ears just find any metal tweeter harsh (okay, so pretty sweeping statement but alas true!)

The AML1's are far superior (again to MY ears) to the ATC T16's I had. They sound much more natural with (unsurprisingly) much better bass extension. The soundstage is larger with much more defined placement of instruments etc. The imaging is also superb!

I am very pleased with my purchase  :D

Steve

madders

Re: AML1 and Mcintosh gear
« Reply #29 on: 3 Jul 2006, 09:19 pm »
What do you think of having a 2 channel setup with a Mcintosh MDA1000 DAC connected to the AML1s.

My Idea is to get a computer with a sound card (Lynx?) that can deliver Balanced Digital Out through XLR into the DAC. This way I could play back FLAC or Apple Lossless music digitally straight through to the AML1s using the MDA1000 as a DAC/Preamp

The Macs warmth may be a good compliment to the accuracy of the AML1s. What do you think?

I think for 15K-20K, this would be a tough system to beat for 2 channel stereo.

If I were you, don't bother with the outboard DAC, just plug the AML1's directly into the Lynx2 soundcards XLR outputs. Awesome quality! Don't underestimate it! If you want a slightly "warmer" tone then go for an RME-Audio soundcard  :)

KUB3

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jul 2006, 04:03 pm »
I spent a long time comparing ATC active models 50 & 100 against passive PMC IB2 with Bryston 4 / 7B mono's, on an A/B basis in the same room. To summarise I'd say the ATC has a bit more treble detail (or at least it's more highlighted), the ATC 100 has about half the bass output and extension of the IB2. The PMC sounds smoother and more natural to me, less 'in your face' presentation. The ATC really need a sub to bring them up to the same full range monitor spec of PMC. If you listen to strings and light classical ATC might be better suited. If you listen to anything with bass, like rock, pop, electronica, anything modern, the PMC blows ATC into last century. Based on this I chose passive PMC 2 years ago. My recent upgrade to active PMC is another leap forwards again. I don't even think about the gear now, just into buying a lot of tunes :)

mr_merrick

« Reply #31 on: 3 Aug 2006, 03:40 pm »
Finally got mine blinged up to match the plasma

Thinking of doing the entire cabinets, but I'm not too sure yet as it'll involve removing the amp and drivers.  I'm quite chuffed with them as they are since I had doubts they'd match up to the mirror finish on the Pioneer.  Now the speakers outshine the screen.

KUB3

« Reply #32 on: 6 Aug 2006, 05:27 pm »
Looks like fun to keep clean. Which stands are you using?

I like mine matt as my plasma is the matt carbon finish W7 panasonic. In fact all my kit is matt / brushed black. The only shiny thing I have is a black granite AV stand.

madders

« Reply #33 on: 7 Aug 2006, 01:37 pm »
Is that the new 1080P Pioneer plasma?
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2006, 02:36 pm by madders »

KUB3

« Reply #34 on: 7 Aug 2006, 07:29 pm »
Sounds like a bargain. Do they have a receipt and box? How old? Condition?

mr_merrick

« Reply #35 on: 8 Aug 2006, 01:12 pm »
Looks like fun to keep clean. Which stands are you using?

They're Atacama R724's, which are now discontinued.  I managed to snag the last pair in Graphite for my rear AML's before they finished.

They weigh close to a ton filled with two tubs of Atabites per stand. so moving them is not an option...it's a pain in the...back!

Rafal

• Artwork by Rafal Gwozdz
« Reply #36 on: 9 Apr 2007, 03:25 pm »
Hi folks,

Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of used AML1's? I don't care about which color they are.

Thanks,

Rafal

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #37 on: 9 Apr 2007, 11:49 pm »
Hi Rafal,

Where are you located?

james

Rafal