PMC AML1 owners?

KUB3

PMC AML1 owners?
« on: 2 Mar 2006, 08:15 am »
Hi all. I did a search on here for PMC "AML1" but nothing cropped up. I have a new pair in slate arriving shortly, for my new downsized small listening room. Looking forward to a little more detail that active will bring. Any other owners out there?...

birdfish

Opinion on sound please
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2006, 05:24 am »
Not an owner yet, but seriously considering purchase of AML1, despite the astronomical price.  Reviews indicate this would fit my needs exactly, but have not personally heard them.  Also read that at times, if the material is such, they can sound a bit harsh.  Have you heard them?  Would like an unbiased opinion on their sound.  Also, if you bought new, where did you purchase?  And I am torn on color choice, that blue is cool but don't know if I could live with it.  Thanks.

KUB3

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2006, 08:24 am »
AML1's are not expensive. They are exceptional value and verging on cheap in fact. After selling my IB2 and 7B's I can't belive how much you get for the money on AML's. It's a fully active system with that famous PMC transmission line AND bryston! It uses the same x-over and upgraded tweeter as a £40000 PMC active rig. The only difference is how much sub bass you need to fill a room. (You could always add a velodyne - if you wanted it really OTT). There's nothing with the same clarity for anywhere near this entry level price.

People who are used to hearing warm blurred distortion often cite accurate gear as sounding clinical / cold / insert silly name. Personally I think PMC sound very natural. If you like a clean live sound, like ATC, ML etc, you'll like PMC / Bryston. My other gear is also no nonsense exceptionally accurate pro sourced - Benchmark DAC1 etc.

Other things which affect the sound are clearly the room acoustics. Make sure the room isn't too bare, plus a behringer digital correction is handy.

Colour is easy - slate eveytime. 99% of people would go with slate, so if you want better residuals it's the one to have.

Pro Audio Kit is a good new supplier. I bought my IB2 and 7B's there.

mr_merrick

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2006, 01:50 pm »
I just received my rear AML1's yesterday after running just the front three AML's and the SB100 Sub for the last 6 months.  I also opted for the Slate finish, which I was able to rub down and spray to a high-gloss lacquered black to match the frame on the Pioneer Plasma panel.

Funnily enough, I also retired my IB2 system in favour of a fully active rig, and can say that there is so much more detail in the AML's (which use the BB5 tweeter unit) which can reveal harsh recordings if they are made that way...Regardless, there are settings to tone down the HF anyway (-2.5 is my setting)

Now that the system is finally running in surround I'm re-discovering all my HD and DVD collection all over again and I'm now considering upgrading my SP1.7 to an SP2.

The AML1's are certainly not to everyone's taste so I would always recommend asking your local dealer to set them up at home properly and leave them for a day or so.  That's what I did, and I never looked back!  :mrgreen:

If you're UK based, like me, give Unilet in New Malden a call... Their PMC page is pretty cool too http://www.badaweb.co.uk/uniletsoundandvision/extra2

KUB3

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2006, 06:55 pm »
Hi, interesting to hear your in the same boat as me. I almost had my IB's made in custom piano black, so were on the same page. I have a panasonic plasma, which is matt black, so the matt AML's will match that. However I do have a nice glossy black granite AV stand to get my piano fix (2 shelves are for sale v cheap).

I originally spoke to unilet, however they failed to return my second call so sod 'em. I went with a local dealer instead for my IB2 trade in and AML purchase.

mr_merrick

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2006, 08:54 pm »
WOW!!!  :o

Got home today and played "Walk the Line" in DTS Surround...Totally awesome...the best music DVD I've played since Kraftwerk - Minumum Maximum (a different kettle of fish I know, but fun nonetheless).  I've got Johnny Cash - American IV playing now. :mrgreen:

KUB3

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2006, 09:10 pm »
Everytime we have a beer night a mate always brings along a Kraftwerk cd to play on my hifi. Damn nutter.

Dokter_doug

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2006, 01:16 am »
Do you guys prefer the sound of the AML1 to that of your IB1's or 2's? If so, why...what's the difference?

Doug

mr_merrick

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2006, 09:27 am »
The AML1's combined with the SB100 produce (in my opinion) a far more detailed sound than the IB passive series...the integration of the sub worked far better than having the IB2's as the bass was far too overpowering for the new room.  However, the dome mid-range from the IB2 is pretty astonishing and gives vocals a far more realistic presentation...almost as if the singer is a metre further in front of the soundstage.  Very unrestrained.  Given the choice, I would still have the IB2's at the front and AML's at the rear, but the room says otherwise.

In a way, I still might be able to do this, provided Bryston come up with some Room EQ adjustments on the SP2...I live in hope...

mahoney67

AML1 and Mcintosh gear
« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2006, 04:43 pm »
What do you think of having a 2 channel setup with a Mcintosh MDA1000 DAC connected to the AML1s.

My Idea is to get a computer with a sound card (Lynx?) that can deliver Balanced Digital Out through XLR into the DAC. This way I could play back FLAC or Apple Lossless music digitally straight through to the AML1s using the MDA1000 as a DAC/Preamp

The Macs warmth may be a good compliment to the accuracy of the AML1s. What do you think?

I think for 15K-20K, this would be a tough system to beat for 2 channel stereo.

KUB3

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2006, 05:01 pm »
Does Mac warmth = fuzzy noise levels? I had a valve amp which sounded like this.

I use a Benchmark DAC1 for amazing clarity of signal, for a mere £800. A few people use Behringer to further tailor the sound, to correct room problems and to add personal eq settings.

mahoney67

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2006, 08:00 pm »
I currently am getting by with an apogee minidac and mackie hr824 speakers. The apogee also has the plus of connecting to my computer through the usb port.

Many people are saying that the MDA1000 is one of the best DACs in the world, plus it can function as a pre-amp in a all digital system. I haven't had the chance to hear it for myself.  As to the science of what makes it sound more warm or musical, I'm not sure, its just their hallmark I guess you either like it or you don't.

I have heard that the benchmark DAC is very detailed and accurate, matching that with an extremely accurate speaker like the AML1 likely will results in super accurate music, is this your setup and if so do you find the music fatiguing in any way after long listening periods?

KUB3

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2006, 10:00 pm »
It will be my setup with AML1's.

It was my setup with BP25 pre, 7BSST, IB2. I've never found it fatiguing, neither have my friends. I find some overly warm systems to lack detail and vitality.

A softer and warmer sound is available with an opus 21 cdp, by comparison. However 'softer' is not what was recorded originally. It seems strange to buy very expensive kit which is innacurate, especially when you can have real accuracy for fairly modest outlay. A cheap £200 digital behringer eq will add rose tinted tweekery if you require it. Or hang a sock over your treble for free  :lol:

mr_merrick

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2006, 09:44 pm »
Out of interest...What are your settings on your AML's.  I used to run them with the HF tilt at -2.5dB as they sounded a bit too revealing on poorer recordings (which is in no way a fault with the loudspeaker, as good recordings and anything on vinyl sounds awesome in bypass mode).

However, since I completed the system with AML's at the rear and the SB100 sub, the bypass mode sounds astonishing with everything I throw at it!

KUB3

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2006, 09:44 am »
They still haven't arrived! There is a major delay as PMC received a large order of AML's from a studio in italy, so I have been shunted to the back of the que. I'm now looking at two months from ordering and paying a deposit, to receiving them.  :(

mr_merrick

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2006, 12:00 am »
Hey Kub, any news on your AML's yet?

KUB3

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2006, 05:45 pm »
Yes, some news: they still haven't arrived after OVER 3 MONTHS waiting! Diabolical. I wonder if parts replacement is this poor. I'll wait one more week before cancelling my order.

Jason Nugent

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2006, 06:01 pm »
Kub,

I had a similar problem back when I ordered my AB2S monitors.  A large order had been placed just prior to me, and I waited 3 or 4 months before it showed. But, they definitely showed up.   If i was you, I'd hold out - just think of how awesome it'll be when you finally get them.

mr_merrick

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2006, 12:27 am »
KUB, I couldn't agree more with Jason...There's a good reason why AML's take a long time to order...because they like to get them right the first time...besides, if you got a good price for them, be aware that the retail price on the AML's has rocketed up to £4600 a pair.  This is due to some of the parts on the AML's not being mass produced anymore, therefore they have to pay a premium to get them made exclusively for PMC.  Luckily, I managed to complete the set before the prices went up...
besides, I'm getting a bit lonely on this thread...

...my AniMaL's keep me company though... :mrgreen:

KUB3

PMC AML1 owners?
« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2006, 01:49 pm »
I'm sure I'll hang in there, just frustrated that's all. I can't remeber what hifi sounds like now :(