Corian vs. Piano black finish

davejcb

« on: 11 Apr 2004, 11:32 pm »
Just wondering if anyone had compared the two and noticed a sonic improvement with the Corian finish?

Thanks!

Terry

corian or piano black
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2004, 11:26 pm »
Check with the Divergent Tech. website and I think you will find that you cannot get the DeCappos in a corian finish. Corian, which is very expensive, is the standard material used in the Royal Virtuoso, the expensive cousin to the DeCappo. As far a sonic difference between the piano black and standard black finishes on the DeCappo, I cannot imagine it would make a difference.

davejcb

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2004, 11:41 pm »
I didn't mention anything about the de Capo, as it doesn't apply to it. I was referring to the Royal Master and Royal Virtuoso models.

sdk

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2004, 12:12 am »
I'm not sure a comparison can between the Royal Master and Royal Virtuoso just based on the cabinet material.  The Royal Master uses a difference tweeter and capacitor than the Virtuoso so you could never really separate what was responsible for the differences in sound quality. On the other hand, if you were able to buy the same caps and tweeters (SEAS Millenium series in matched pairs) that are used in the Virtuoso and pop them in a Royal Master then you might have a basis to say which cabinet is better. That sounds like a lot of work though, doesn't it?

davejcb

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2004, 12:39 am »
:evil:

Royal Master Piano Black vs. Royal Master Corian - difference?
Royal Virtuoso Piano Black (if available, not sure) vs. Royal Virtuoso Corian - difference?

Am I speaking Swahili here??? :D

sdk

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2004, 03:22 am »
Well, you might as well have been speaking Swalhili because your original post didn't mention models at all. You then "clarified" your position by saying that you were "referring to the Royal Master and Royal Virtuoso models." Nothing more is mentioned about a comparison between a Royal Master in black paint with one in a corian finish or a comparison between a Royal in corian to a painted Royal (which doesn't exist).  I'm not trying to break your chops, just be specific in your question.

To the best of my knowledge, there were not two different versions of either the Royal Master or the Royal Virtuoso at the same time. There was a previous version of the RV which utilized a partial corian cabinet as compared to the current version which is all corian and which I own. I haven't been able to compare the two versions, but I would imagine the newer all corian version might be somewhat better as the cabinet is more inert which translates to more definition in the bass frequencies. I think this is true of most cabinets. The more inert the cabinet, the more definition you get in the bass and soundstaging.  Hope this answers your question at least partially.

davejcb

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2004, 03:38 am »
Quote from: sdk
Well, you might as well have been speaking Swalhili because your original post didn't mention models at all. You then "clarified" your position by saying that you were "referring to the Royal Master and Royal Virtuoso models." Nothing more is mentioned about a comparison between a Royal Master in black paint with one in a corian finish or a comparison between a Royal in corian to a painted Royal (which doesn't exist).  I'm not trying to break your chops, just be specific in your question.

What else would I be asking for??? There's no de Capo in Corian, so why would I ask a question that doesn't relate to them? Obviously if Corian applies to only 1 model that's the one I'm referring to...

Unless I am misunderstanding it, the Reference 3A website shows both a Corian and an MDF version of the Royal Master. Look at the bottom...

melville

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2004, 08:54 pm »
Where on the current Reference 3a website does if offer the Royal Virtuoso in both Corian and Piano Black?  I have been told by a rep that both finishes are available, but I am unable to locate in on the website.  Maybe I am not being thorough in my search.

Also, and not to 'rub it in', but if someone were to imagine that you were a 'rookie' to the site, they would need to know specifically to what speaker you were referring in your original message.  Keeping this in mind, your sarcastic response was inappropriate.

davejcb

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2004, 09:10 pm »
It doesn't mention.

TOPIC. Does anyone have an answer to the question?

Thank you.

mcrespo71

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2004, 09:28 pm »
TOPIC. Does anyone have an answer to the question?

no

davejcb

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2004, 09:36 pm »
I see. Feel free to delete the thread if it isn't of use to anyone.

melville

« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2004, 10:08 pm »
I recommend e-mailing Tash at Divergent Technologies.

davejcb

« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2004, 10:18 pm »
Good idea, thank you!

Paul L

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2004, 04:52 am »
I think there is no more Royal Master.

davejcb

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2004, 06:08 am »
No, there's the Royal Virtuoso... What are you getting at?

melville

« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2004, 02:24 pm »
Hi Dave:

I'm not sure at this point you can assume that everyone is attacking you.  Paul is most likely just providing information.  

Anyway, on a more or less related topic.  I e-mailed Tash when I was first interested in his products, and he sent me a list of the improvements that they have done to make the Royal Master ll the current Royal Virtuoso.  Now, there are those who feel that it wasn't necessary to improve on the excellence of the original.  Tash feels that he has produced a better speaker.  It makes interesting reading.

Brian

davejcb

« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2004, 02:46 pm »
Really... He told me there were improvements but didn't elaborate on them. If you could post these that would make for a great read, or email them privately to me if you could.

Thanks!

melville

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2004, 03:59 pm »
Hi Dave:

I know that I have a hard copy, and I'll see if the e-mail is still in my system.  One way for the other, I'll get the information to you.

Brian

davejcb

« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2004, 06:49 pm »
Thanks to melville...

Royal Virtuoso has following improvements over Royal Master.

- Seamless Corian cabinet built with different densities of materials for more inert and resonance free enclosure.
- Much higher definition custom made tweeter with six neodymium magnet and longer voice coil motor.
- Custom made, multiple flat-foil paper in oil capacitor on high pass filter.
- Redesigned Main driver with better parameters.
- Thick metal terminal plates with Cardas bi-wire rhodium binding posts.
- Seven point, perforated internal bracing system.
- Mechanically grounded main driver.
- Proprietary Vibra-Puck driver frame and magnet vibration damping material.
- Van den Hul silver-alloy/LSC (carbon) hybrid internal wiring.
- Aluminum road cases for shipping.

Sonically, they are considerably more transparent, coherent and dynamic with smoother and better detailed high frequency extension.

sdk

« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2004, 11:55 pm »
Not that this answers the original question, especially when you said you wanted a comparison between:

Quote from: davejcb
:evil:

Royal Master Piano Black vs. Royal Master Corian - difference?
Royal Virtuoso Piano Black (if available, not sure) vs. Royal Virtuoso Corian - difference? :D

Melville's response actually provides information on a 3rd comparison: that between the Master and the Royal. As I said in a previous posting, in the older version of the Royal Virtuoso, the cabinet was only partial Corian and it was in fact "black" on parts of it compared to the newer version which is all Corian.

So now I guess we have the full answer to which is best:

#1 Royal Virtuoso - newest all Corian version
#2 Royal Virtuoso - older version, partial Corian finish
#3 Royal Master  - discontinued, partial Corian finish

I guess you now understand why your original message was somewhat cryptic and could be interpreted a number of ways. Anyway, was just trying to help.