Pics of my new amp and system

sdk

« on: 2 Apr 2004, 04:46 pm »
Just got my Art Audio Carissa single-ended triode amp (16 watts per channel, 845 output tubes) so I thought I'd post a couple of pics. 

The system consists of the Royal Virtuosos, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD player modded by Stan Warren, Bent Audio TVC, Acoustic Zen Satori II speakers cable and Chimera Labs interconnect.

Directory of pics can be found at:

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2006, 07:35 pm by sdk »

steve k

« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2004, 05:45 pm »
Beautiful--equipment and pups. What kind of dogs?
steve

sdk

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2004, 05:56 pm »
They are Akitas from Japan. The middle one is a longhair Akita. And they love my audio system.  Whenever I crank it up, they pile into the room and lay their huge bodies all over the floor. They probably act as natural Tube Traps because music always sounds better when they're in the room. Maybe it's all that fur soaking up the slap echo?

CMM

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2004, 10:28 pm »
Great pictures.  Your system looks very nice, I would love to hear it.   I noticed you also own Neat speakers.  Are those the Elites?  I heard the Petites once in a dealer showroom and was very impressed.  How do your Ref 3a compare with the Neat speakers?  Thanks for posting.

sdk

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2004, 10:41 pm »
If you're ever in Santa Cruz, CA shoot me an email, I'd be glad to let you hear the system.

Yes, those are Neat Elites. They've been my reference speaker for the last couple of years until they were recently displaced by the Royals.  The Elites are very musical. A true pleasure to listen to but they don't have the transparency and ease of the Royals. Although the Elites dig subjectively deeper in the bass, the Royal have more articulation and punch in the lower registers. Both speakers have what I would call the jump factor, but the Royals seem to have a little more jump than the Elites.

I think the Elites are less finicky in terms of partnering components. I basically had to redo the system once the Royals came into the picture. My previous amp and passive preamp just couldn't cut it with the Royals, but they sounded great with the Elites.

Stuartbranson

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2004, 01:05 am »
Beautiful looking (and sounding I bet) system.  How'd you hear about the Bent audio equipment?  I have met the guy behind it at a local audio club meeting and have come across several references and recommendations lately.  Just curious.

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2004, 01:10 am »
That's cool you have the NEAT speakers.  I've heard only great things about them from friends with good ears.  Of course, with the Royal Virtuoso's in tow, I can see how they would displace most speakers.

Michael

sdk

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2004, 01:17 am »
I've been using passive preamps for about 10 years now. I've probably owned most of the passives out there including the McCormack, First Sound, Reference Line, Luminious, Placette, etc. and the Bent is by far the best I have heard. I think I heard something on AA a couple of years ago about these crazy guys using transformers instead of stepped attenuators or pots to control the volume.  From there I discovered the Stevens & Billington site and then I heard about Bent.  Isn't the web great? Based on what I heard about the S&B transformers, I knew the Bent had to be good especially when I saw the other components that were being used in the design.

AA has had a lot of discussion about the Bent lately and most people who have heard it agree that, in the right system, it is hard to beat in terms of transparency. And it has dynamics and bass that other passives just can't touch.

Jonathan

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2004, 03:02 am »
Just curious about the Bent TVC (can't seem to find it on their website). How much do they go for? Are they pre-built or a kit?

Thanks,

Jon

sdk

« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2004, 03:23 am »
http://www.bentaudio.com/index2.html

The Bent NOH is a transformer volume control that is available as both a kit and finished product. The prices are listed on the website and depend on what options you get. Mine has the remote option and no switching as I only use one source and wanted the cleanest signal path possible. I think the price was around $1375 if I remember correctly. John Chapman, the designer and builder of the product, is a pure pleasure to deal with and his customer service is second to none. And no, I have no affiliation with Bent other than the fact that I am a satisfied customer.

Jonathan

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2004, 04:56 am »
Got it! Thanks for the info.

mcrespo71

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2004, 01:57 am »
Steve,

What transistor amp did you take pictures of?  BTW, I have the same rack as you and while it is awesome because of it's flexibility in changing shelf height, it sucks for isolation.  Your amp will sound far better on some sort of isolation platform.  I use 3 Bright Star Big Rocks on my VTL monoblocks and CJ preamp to great effect, though the buzz on those dirt cheap maple platforms is starting to grow.  I'd use something, though.

Michael

sdk

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2004, 02:07 am »
That's a Llano Design 300 Watt hybrid I am currently selling on Audiogon.  It's a pretty awesome amp. It has the warmth of tubes but Krell-like bass.  My Art Audio Carissa is better though as it should be for the price I paid...