2011 Capital Audio Fest...

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Re: 2011 Capital Audio Fest...
« Reply #40 on: 9 Jul 2011, 10:06 pm »
WHY THE HELL WERE SO MANY ROOMS SO GAWDAWFULLY LOUD!!!!!  :cuss:

Seriously, a few rooms I walked into, got hit with the distortion from things too loud, turned on my heel and walked out. I thought I was being a cranky old man, (and I can be), but Pumpkinman was traveling with me, and he said the same thing.

I'd post some thoughts, but too annoyed right now, having the first of what may be 3 quick Scotch and Cokes to unwind.

I will say, definately was smitten by the OB speakers in the diy room on 3rd floor, and the Teres tt they were spinning, on 2nd floor the guy in pics above with red shirt, standing next to the redwood horn-loaded speaker with the parrot on top was also enjoyable - and I was able to finally buy a Nipper statute from him, I was so happy.

Now - drink #2.

ctbarker32

« Reply #41 on: 9 Jul 2011, 11:06 pm »
I have posted my photo collection of the Capital Audiofest as well.

https://picasaweb.google.com/ctbarker32/CapitalAudiofest2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Enjoy!

-CB

DTB300

« Reply #42 on: 9 Jul 2011, 11:28 pm »
WHY THE HELL WERE SO MANY ROOMS SO GAWDAWFULLY LOUD!!!!!  :cuss:

Ruined the sound in rooms that had good to great sound....until the cranking started... Worst offender for me was the Wilson, Meridian, Nordost, HRS (JS Audio) room.  They had great sound until the "controllee" got heavy-handed.

I will say, definately was smitten by the OB speakers in the diy room on 3rd floor, and the Teres tt they were spinning, on 2nd floor the guy in pics above with red shirt, standing next to the redwood horn-loaded speaker with the parrot on top was also enjoyable - and I was able to finally buy a Nipper statute from him, I was so happy.
The guy on the Second Floor - Atma-Sphere Pre/Power, Allnic Power, Kuzma Ref w/PC-1 and Tri-Planar.  Speakers were Project T 3.4 - Made in Mich...nice guy

There was another guy on 2nd floor in the Tidal room - his store is just outside Philly.  Tidal and dCS - very musical sounding for both disc and hard disk based.  Volume levels were pleasant.

The Surreal Room (Surreal, DSA, Lampizator) had some good sounds in both setups, and volume levels did not get too nuts.

The Cathedral speakers in the Audio Note room were a favorite of the wife.

The Carnegie speakers ($2k) sounded very good for their size and cost. Manley, AMR, and Hegel were the associated components.

I couldn't get down that low for the sweet spot in the Mapleshade-Sonist room.  Some great new music playing there.

MBL room was great sounding until they suffered the heavy thumb....

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #43 on: 10 Jul 2011, 12:13 am »
"The Carnegie speakers ($2k) sounded very good for their size and cost."

The Carnegie speakers were absolutely "Cheap & Cheerfull". I really liked them.

mr_bill

« Reply #44 on: 10 Jul 2011, 02:26 am »
Could any one comment on the new Polk Audio 'reference' speakers.

pansixt

« Reply #45 on: 10 Jul 2011, 02:30 am »
I can say that they have a very nice sound.

Heads up to the Polk Folks for donating the raffle prize.
Congrats to the lucky couple that won them.
James

mr_bill

« Reply #46 on: 10 Jul 2011, 02:37 am »
Also looking for comments on the new Philharmonic 3 as compared to the Soundscape.

bunky

« Reply #47 on: 10 Jul 2011, 02:39 am »
they sounded quite good with a $60.000 Audio Research front end not including the MIT cables or the 250 wpc Audio Research tube amp  :o. they were nice speakers for $4000.00 a pair

Phil A

« Reply #48 on: 10 Jul 2011, 02:47 am »
Also looking for comments on the new Philharmonic 3 as compared to the Soundscape.

I may go back tomorrow to see if I can do that.  The Philharmonic 3 was really good at its price point.  I though they would be much more

bunky

« Reply #49 on: 10 Jul 2011, 02:50 am »
the Salks and the Philharmonics were both sounding very nice with the AVA pre and power amps. if performance for dollar is compared the lowest price $ 1600 per pair Philharmonic 1 would easily be my pick for best at the Fest  :thumb:  they are very good speakers and not just for the money

pansixt

« Reply #50 on: 10 Jul 2011, 02:52 am »
they sounded quite good with a $60.000 Audio Research front end not including the MIT cables or the 250 wpc Audio Research tube amp  :o. they were nice speakers for $4000.00 a pair

If they had the Dakiom Feedback Stabilizers it would have been awesome, Huh Bunky?
James

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #51 on: 10 Jul 2011, 02:59 am »
Well it sounds like I kept the volume under check in Carnegie Acoustics and Onkyo if you stopped in that one with the CST-1.  Was helping out a friend with the demo's as they were down a person. 

Sorry I missed dinner, was to late getting to the lobby I guess.

Tomorrow is my day to look around!  WOOHOO!  :D

bunky

« Reply #52 on: 10 Jul 2011, 03:05 am »
If they had the Dakiom Feedback Stabilizers it would have been awesome, Huh Bunky?
James
according to the gentleman who sells these things it would  :lol:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #53 on: 10 Jul 2011, 03:19 am »
The guy with the boombox rulez!!!

:dance:

pansixt

« Reply #54 on: 10 Jul 2011, 03:40 am »
Mike B.
The folks at Deja Vu Audio highly recommend him for Tube Gear repair.
He is local to Maryland, DC VA area.
That is no small recommendation IMHO.
James

newportcycle

« Reply #55 on: 10 Jul 2011, 12:41 pm »
I really liked the Carnegie series in all the rooms, excellent value for the sound.  The Light Harmonics 384 DAC was a knockout, so was the price.  Volti Audio horns were very nice. Transmission Audio's speakers in the Rockwell Room were very spacious, excellent soundstage, I could live with a pair of those all easy. Great show overall, some rooms were too loud for my taste. I wish I'd never ventured into the McIntosh room, I think I experienced 5 of the seven deadly sins just sitting on the couch in that room.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #56 on: 10 Jul 2011, 01:09 pm »
I'll be the lone dissenter in that while inoffensive,  they were nothing special for $4k.  I would buy Salk or Sonist 1st.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #57 on: 10 Jul 2011, 03:04 pm »

Thanks to everyone for sharing. Always appreciated by those of us not able to make a show.

I really liked the Carnegie series in all the rooms, excellent value for the sound.

I have to agree. That's why I picked up the speaker line up here in Canada.  8)

The Carnegie CST series offers a warm, dynamic, musical, powerful, yet detailed sound that you can listen to for hours. They image very well, which is very important to me. Their high gloss mirror finish is top notch as well. A high sound per dollar speaker line.

Here is the CSB-1 monitor. $895.00 Retail.

Here is the CST-1 transmission line tower. $1,995.00 Retail.

Ron May and Cecil Fammin from Carnegie are great guys as well.

Rocket_Ronny

« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2011, 04:58 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

DTB300

« Reply #58 on: 10 Jul 2011, 04:20 pm »
I'll be the lone dissenter in that while inoffensive,  they were nothing special for $4k.  I would buy Salk or Sonist 1st.
I would agree on the Polk room.  With the group of front end electronics pushing them, I expected much better sound.  I could buy two pair of the Carnegie speakers for that price...

Phil A

« Reply #59 on: 10 Jul 2011, 11:33 pm »

I got a chance to listen today.  There was a bit less of a crowd.  First of all the Philharmonic 3 probably was among the best values at the show if not the best.  The Soundscape sucked up lots more power as they are not as efficient but you can clearly hear the bass superiority of the Soundscape.  I also though the overall presentation was smoother throughout the range.  I was actually afraid to listen to the cheaper Philharmonic model.  At their price point ($1.6k) I might have been tempted to buy them for the secondary basement system I don't use all that much vs. the old B&W P6s I have there now (which sound good and are probably overkill for my needs) I have there now.