MAAC Meet May / June ?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
MAAC Meet May / June ?
« on: 6 May 2013, 10:52 pm »
Anyone interested in a MAAC meet up in the next few weeks (i.e. May / June)?  Thought we could use something to tide us over between Gary's "Micro-CAF" in February and the "Full-CAF" in July.   Gary's "Micro-CAF" ended up being a very well attended and bigger thrown down than I expected!

My house is on the slightly smaller side in Arlington VA, but would be happy to host.  I've got three "listening areas / systems" between the attic, living room, and home theater basement and a mixture of new / old and tube / solid state gear that folks might be interested (see my "system" link).  Can seat comfortable about 4 folks in each area.  Of course folks would be encouraged to bring any gear they want to demonstrate / try out.  E.g. I'd be sort of interested in hearing a native DSD capable DAC as there seems to be some buzz around DSD lately.

Anyway - open to any ideas on venue / topic / timing / etc.  Just thought as it's been a while, others might be interested in getting together.

Phil A

Re: MAAC Meet May / June ?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2013, 11:37 pm »
Jon, don't know about anyone else's schedule, but probably mid-June would be better for me to either go to someone's place or at my place.  I do have a Meitner DSD DAC.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2013, 03:31 am »
You were at Gary's?  Did I miss you there?  I wish I would have had a chance to say hello, or maybe I did.  Anyway, yes, it was a great meet, much more socializing than listening, which was fine by me.

It's hard for me to commit to every meet but mid-June would also be better for me as well.  Perhaps we can get some of the Jersey boyz down to a GTG.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2013, 03:39 am »
I missed the Micro CAF as I had to run to FL for house construction stuff and scheduling was out of my control.  I did end up going to FL the week before but I was tired and had to catch up after getting back.  It's hard to listen to things if it gets too big.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2013, 04:14 am »
Sorry Phil, I meant Jon.  I should have said that.  I knew you couldn't make it, we missed you.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2013, 04:18 am »
You were at Gary's?  Did I miss you there?  I wish I would have had a chance to say hello, or maybe I did.  Anyway, yes, it was a great meet, much more socializing than listening, which was fine by me.

It's hard for me to commit to every meet but mid-June would also be better for me as well.  Perhaps we can get some of the Jersey boyz down to a GTG.

I was there : http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114421.msg1194549#msg1194549 : the guy on the couch at bottom right listening to Bill Hutchins.

With all the commotion / excitement, I should have done better with the intros! Blame it on all the IPAs.......

Mid-June could work as well + gives more time for people to plan it out.  Doesn't have to be at my place either - just as happy to get on the road & bring the action farther up north......

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2013, 12:48 pm »
Sorry Phil, I meant Jon.  I should have said that.  I knew you couldn't make it, we missed you.

I realized you meant Jon after the post.  It would be hard to miss me unless I went on a diet for an extended period.  I once went on a diet for 2 weeks and all I lost was 2 weeks :green:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2013, 01:42 pm »
Jon,
Mid June works for me. 

Let me know when and where. 

DTB300

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2013, 03:51 pm »
Anytime except for the holiday (Memorial Day) weekend works for me.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2013, 11:35 pm »
Mid-June sounds pretty good to me. Looking forward to it!

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2013, 01:34 am »
Mid-June sounds pretty good to me. Looking forward to it!

Scott, still also want to get to your place to compare USB cables and see the Oppo 105 in action.  How do you like the 105?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2013, 06:17 am »
Seems like there's enough folks interested, and around mid-June, to merit penciling a date / time?  How about Saturday June 15 at around 2 / 3pm?  I'm willing to be the default host until / unless group consensus is to take it elsewhere.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2013, 01:33 pm »
Scott, still also want to get to your place to compare USB cables and see the Oppo 105 in action.  How do you like the 105?

The 105 is better than I expected it to be but I still plan to get the Modwright tube mods. Call or pm to set up a time to get together.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2013, 02:25 pm »
The 105 is better than I expected it to be but I still plan to get the Modwright tube mods. Call or pm to set up a time to get together.

Scott, will do.  I don't expect it to take tons of time.  If the USB cable from WyWires is better of course I'm going to want one.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2013, 02:28 pm »
Seems like there's enough folks interested, and around mid-June, to merit penciling a date / time?  How about Saturday June 15 at around 2 / 3pm?  I'm willing to be the default host until / unless group consensus is to take it elsewhere.

We are not turning down a willing host.  You be the man.  :thumb:

Pencil me in for now as I don't have any conflict with the 15th that I know of.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #15 on: 8 May 2013, 04:02 pm »
Is the 15th confirmed?

How's parking?

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 8 May 2013, 04:55 pm »
Is the 15th confirmed?

How's parking?

$75/spot payable in cash to me :green:

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 8 May 2013, 05:02 pm »
Seriously, if there are lots of people and there is an interest in DSD (as noted earlier in the thread), I'm more than willing do to it as well. Jon started the thread and I'll let him make the call.  Either place is fine with me.  There is plenty of parking down my street and the room and adjoining kitchen is big enough where more than one person can sit in a good spot.  I'm also happy to pick up anyone on the way to Jon's place.  Scott is a bit closer and there should not be a problem parking on his street if that is easier.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #18 on: 8 May 2013, 05:23 pm »
I've got plenty of street parking, but Phil has more butt parking space....

Seems like there's general consensus for Saturday 15 June @ 2pm.

Why don't we do a roll call say June 7th & if it seems like there's going to be strong interest - say over 6 - 10 folks - Phil's might be better. Otherwise can do it at my place, which being Arlington I think is a bit closer in for some folks.

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 8 May 2013, 06:14 pm »
I've got plenty of street parking, but Phil has more butt parking space....

Seems like there's general consensus for Saturday 15 June @ 2pm.

Why don't we do a roll call say June 7th & if it seems like there's going to be strong interest - say over 6 - 10 folks - Phil's might be better. Otherwise can do it at my place, which being Arlington I think is a bit closer in for some folks.

Jon, sounds like a good plan.  We can always car pool either way with people either coming to Arlington and driving together or meeting somewhere between me and Arlington.