picked up a Trumpet, need to know gain level

smitkoku

picked up a Trumpet, need to know gain level
« on: 22 Jan 2013, 05:09 am »
Hello-
I am very excited to have just picked up a Trumpet off a'gon.  Doesn't matter right now, as I am using a Thorens td-125mkII table with Signet 5.0e or AT440MLA cart, but I'm wondering what the gain level is with this unit.  IE, would I be able to try a high-output MC?  I'm going to run this into my Sansui AU-X1111 MOS VINTAGE integrated.  I was using the built-in phono stage, which was much better than my musical fidelity V-LPS.  However, this integrated is VERY capable, so I imagine that the Trumpet should take it to a whole other level. 

Also, this unit is coming to me with some upgraded parts, but stock tubes.  Any recommendations as to upgrades?  Also, I have seen somewhere that just the "first pair" of each tube type is recommended to roll tubes?  I was running all tube pre- and Atma-Sphere ma1 tube amps prior to switching the the Sansui (surprisingly, I am still getting 90% of the performance from this single, transistor-based unit).  I know from experience with my 12au7-based pre that my personal favorites in that tube were telefunken and bugle boys, followed by Valvo and RCA clear-tops just to give an idea of my sound preferences.

BobM

Re: picked up a Trumpet, need to know gain level
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2013, 05:38 pm »
The Trumpet has switches to change phase, but unless you are using it in balanced mode it really doesn't change anything, except the phase of the signal. In other words, with a regular RCA input/output there is really no benefit to changing phase.

So what I would suggest is changing the output coupling caps  on each phase. I put some 1.0uF PIO's on one side and some upgraded 1.0uF Multicap PPFX's bypassed with a .1uF teflon on the other side. With crappy 70's records the PIO's really make them sound nice. Witth a good recording the teflon bypassed side brings out their best. While you are inside you can also dampen the sheet metal case a bit and oil the front and back wood panels to help them resist cracking from drying out.

Then there is tube rolling. I found that replacing the first pair of tubes in each quad set with some nice NOS made the most difference. The second set make little difference since they are cathode followers I believe.

Then there's the power cord. Put something nice here. I use a Triode Wire Labs to good effect.

Enjoy,
Bob

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2013, 05:59 pm »
44db gain without a step up.

smitkoku

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2013, 01:37 am »
So what I would suggest is changing the output coupling caps  on each phase. I put some 1.0uF PIO's on one side and some upgraded 1.0uF Multicap PPFX's bypassed with a .1uF teflon on the other side. With crappy 70's records the PIO's really make them sound nice. Witth a good recording the teflon bypassed side brings out their best. While you are inside you can also dampen the sheet metal case a bit and oil the front and back wood panels to help them resist cracking from drying out.

Enjoy,
Bob

So, I don't quite understand what you mean by upgrading "each side".  Are you saying, then, that if you are playing crappy old '70s lp's then you switch the phase switch to go through the pio's and vice-versa for newer vinyl? 

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2013, 07:52 pm »
Sorry, just saw your question - yes, you have it right.