Q7d's at first reflection point, bravo!

mgalusha

Q7d's at first reflection point, bravo!
« on: 25 Mar 2013, 02:03 am »
A friend decided his room needed bass trapping more than diffusion and brought over a pair of the GiK Q7d's today. We put them where I had a pair of GiK 242 absorbers and moved the 242's to the wall behind the listening chair. My room has a considerable number of treatments, 6 tri traps, 6 242 and 244 panels on the wall behind the speakers and another pair of 242 on the ceiling plus the 242's that were at the first reflection points.

The transformation in the presentation was stunning, a rather amazing opening up of space, way more than I expected even though I heard Bryan's demo at RAMF in the Odyssey room. I believe my friend Pete may reconsider his decision to part with these. Oddly enough we all noted the bass seemed to gain some definition, which I didn't expect since the diffusors don't work at that frequency. Dunno but the end result was very special.

These will not be leaving the listening room, no sir.

Thanks to Bryan on placement advice.

mike

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Q7d's at first reflection point, bravo!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2013, 04:45 pm »
Glad it's working out for you Mike.  They can certainly do some special things in the right situation.  I too have noticed some separation and increased upper bass definition when using them.  Not sure why. I have a couple of guesses but would want to do some more research before making any definitive statements.

Bryan

Pez

Re: Q7d's at first reflection point, bravo!
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2013, 04:52 am »
I might have to convince you to bring those bad boys over some time Mikey. :thumb: You definitely need to come hear and see the fruits of my labor.  :rock: