A Tale of 3 CD Players, and a rare power cord....

8thnerve

« on: 16 Mar 2004, 05:34 pm »
A lot of people have been enquiring as to the differences between some of these players, so here is a quick review of how they perform given a particular scenario on a challenging track.

The track used is from Martin Topley-Bird's "Quixotic" CD.  The song is "Stevie's", track number 13.

All CD Players are connected to the following system:

Chord Cobra RCA to DIN interconnect ->
Naim NAC 112 ->
Naim Flatcap 2 ->
Naim NAP 200 ->
Naim NACA Speaker Wire->
Von Schweikert VR-2

All interconnects are standard Naim and power cords are stock Naim as well.

The three players were tested using the Audience Power Chord (our long-time reference) and the new Eighth Nerve Spinal Cord (which is still experimental, but may be released soon) with the exception of the Naim player.  The Naim player was tested with the stock cord and the Eighth Nerve cord.  On all Naim gear I have tested, any power cord replacement has resulted in loss of rythym, impact, definition and overall musicality.  I didn't feel like wasting the time with the Audience cord as I have tried it with Naim gear before.  In this specific instance, the stock cord is far superior in every way, so it was used as the reference with the EN cord as the test piece.

The three players in order of play are:

Ayre CX-7 (Retail $3000)
Eastern Electric MiniMax CDP (Retail $1350) - Stock tubes...
Naim CD-5i (Retail $1650)

AYRE CX-7 w/ Audience Power Chord
The Ayre always has and still does excell at ultimate inner-resolution and "air" throughout the recording, and bests the other players in this regard to a small degree.  There are two points in the track where sounds are phase shifted to appear behind the listening position, first with vocals, and second with other ambient effects.  This combo, much to my surprise, created the least convincing layout of that effect, portraying an image that was certainly not from the front of the stage, but was not defined in placement at all, it simply came from an indistinguishable place in the room.  This player, as usual, was very clean, articulate, and defined.

AYRE CX-7 w/ EN Spinal Cord X
This power cord made the spatial effects more convincing, giving them a bit more placement to the rear of the listening position, but still a bit ghostly and hazy compared to some of the other combos.  The bass was also a bit leaner, but much more textured.  I wonder if the bass with the Audience cord was not a bit exaggerated.  The difference was slight, but noticeable.  Overall I also felt the musicality and rythym was improved as well.  The differences in power cords on this player was less significant than on the other players, perhaps due to the "Ayre Power Filter" which apparently is Patent pending for whatever that is worth.

EASTERN ELECTRIC MINIMAX CDP w/ Audience Power Cord
As many have noted, this is a surprising performer, providing a big, gorgeous soundstage with a glorious sound that belies its size and price.  It manages to do this however without a sacrifice of detail, inner or outer. :-)  Not quite as detailed and airy as the Ayre, but with more musicality and life, perhaps with a bit of interpretation, but it's really good interpretation, so don't be so damn picky.  The spatial effects were well defined, but placed just slightly forward of the listening position.  It did not get the information behind the listener, but it did place the image with solidity and body.  A good trade-off.  An excellent performer at this price, and for many, maybe most, perhaps a better choice than the Ayre, regardless of price.

EASTERN ELECTRIC MINIMAX CDP w/ EN Spinal Cord X
The differences in power cords were most apparent with this CD player.  More definition, musicality, and tidyness were apparent with this setup, again with a hint of a reduction in bass quantity, but more texture.  Don't over analyze here though, there is still TONS of bass as these three CD players are some of the best at bass in my opinion.  The bass is still deep and forceful, well down in the mid 20s, with no hint of roll-off.  The nicest difference was in the spatial effects.  The effects were now placed with the same weight and accuracy, but now just slighty behind the listener, providing the second best results of this test in this regard.  Yummy.

NAIM CD-5i w/ Stock Power Cord
Just to clarify, this CD Player was attached using the same Cobra RCA to DIN interconnect to compare it evenly with the rest of the group, and to use the outputs that you would use unless hooking it up to a Naim preamp or integrated.  Performance is improved using the DIN outputs, but all comments here are based on its performance using its RCA outputs.  Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

As you may expect, the Naim player simply defines musicality, portraying a rythym and pace that is simply as close to real music as I have ever heard.  It has a big, defined sound that is rich with texture and layered with musical interplay.  It competes with the level of detail of the Ayre, the size of the MiniMax, but with a character all its own.  It is hard to specify, as listening to anything but the music with the Naim on is an exersize in extreme focus.  Even the slightest wondering of your mind will disturb your concentration enough to be sucked back into the black hole sized vacuum of the Naim musicality.  Then the music stops and you realize you have no idea what it sounded like.  With all these CD Players, I skipped the 2 minutes in the middle of the track to speed things up.  With this player, BOTH times I listened to the whole track.  The spatial effects, surprisingly (to me at least), were the best of the group.  The Naim produced a well defined image well behind the listener on both sets of effects.  Perhaps it makes sense as the phase relationships are responsible for the illusion of the sound behind you and the Naim excells at timing, perhaps the most important characteristic for phase accuracy.

NAIM CD-5i w/ EN Spinal Cord X
First, every other power cord I have tried with any Naim gear other than the stock cord sounds worse.  Much worse.  Rythym, definition, everything goes out the window.  They say this is so, and I believe them, as it has proven true to me.  Even so, I wanted to try the new cord on it to see how it fared.  I was pleasantly surprised, only because it didn't get worse.  Honestly, I had a very hard time determining what the differences were.  It was apparent that there were some slight changes, but I was unable to tell which was better.  It sounds like more testing on that is in order.

SUMMARY
These three CD Players define the state of the art in the price vs performance category.  I have heard almost no other players at any price that shame any of these units.  Any one would be an excellent, no-compromise source component for your reference system for a long time to come.

So where does all this leave us?  The Ayre dancing about in ultra-defined high res with moves embodying precision, perfection, and balance.  The MiniMax with its beautiful costume, seductive glance and rhapsodic flow.  And the Naim transfixing us with a performance that drains our mind of anything else in our senses.  The only question is which dance would YOU like to experience?

SFDude

Naim CD5i
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2004, 08:36 pm »
I take it you enjoyed this player for the musicality of it. Have you considered trying out the standard CD5 with and without the Flatcap? I'd be interested in listening to your experiences.

Unlike you, I'm dealing with an all Linn system but have been dabbling with the idea of putting a CD5i into the system to see how well it mates. It'd be interesting.

Have you also considered auditioning the Linn Ikemi as well since it fits into the price points you are currently looking at.

Good listening to you sir!

8thnerve

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2004, 11:26 pm »
The system is usually played with a CD5 with Flatcap2, and the difference lies in terms of resolution vs size in comparison to the CD5i.  The CD5 w/ FC2 has more overall resolution resulting in images that are a bit more defined and therefore a bit smaller but more realistic than the CD5i.  All the other qualities remain the same.

The last Linn I listened to was the Genki.  It was an excellent player but I feel is bested by this company in all regards.  Although I have not heard it in this system so I couldn't say that definitively.

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2004, 12:41 am »
It is hard to specify, as listening to anything but the music with the Naim on is an exersize in extreme focus. Even the slightest wondering of your mind will disturb your concentration enough to be sucked back into the black hole sized vacuum of the Naim musicality. Then the music stops and you realize you have no idea what it sounded like.

I totally concur with that statement.  This is the best description of this player I have read.  It is VERY hard to go back and nitpick the sound of this player when shooting it out with other players.  Most of the time, I didn't even want to switch to the other player.

8thnerve

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2004, 02:47 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
It is VERY hard to go back and nitpick the sound of t ...

Hantra,

I just hooked a pair of my first Naim Speakers on the CD5i and NAIT5i combo.  They are only the lowly and now discontinued Intro 2 speakers (although they are in the gorgeous Rosewood finish, an upgrade that increases the price of the speakers by 33%!!!) and even right out of the box from 2 rooms away, I am having trouble concentrating on this email.  :D

WilliamL

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2004, 03:07 pm »
Nathan,

Please elaborate...for those of us not in Nashville! :(  :o

How good do they sound????

8thnerve

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:15 pm »
Quote from: Bill Laurent
Nathan,

Please elaborate...for those of us not in Nashville! :(  :o

How good do they sound????

Too early to give an accurate portrayal, but so far, the bass is deep and extended, and the amount of detail is accurate.  They are a bit harsh right now, but I would expect that with less than 2 hours on them.  I will update when they start to break in and they get to be placed where they will sound best.

I have to say though, I am fascinated by the distributed reflex design.  A very wide and incredibly short (about 3mm) port radiating 360 degrees.  Why is this the only time I have seen this design?

nature boy

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2004, 12:39 am »
Nathan,

Thanks for the nice review and comparison.  Tempting, tempting, tempting............

NB

ZooDog

« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2004, 07:44 pm »
I find Naim gear to be very intriguing and I am really close to jumping on a used CD5 or maybe a new CD5i to see what it's all about.  I like how Naim seems to focus on PRAT and musicality rather than trying to extract every last iota of detail or create razor sharp images.  At this point I want  the kind of gear that makes you forget where you are and (warning: audio cliche ahead) lets you just get lost in the music.

mcrespo71

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2004, 07:56 pm »
If I were you, I would look for a used CD5 w/flatcap II.  From what I've heard, it's far better than the CD5i and I saw one for $1750 on audiogon with the DIN to RCA interconnect, so you could hook it up to non-Naim stuff.  I'd lay down the extra green.

Michael