mapletree owners group

Berndt

mapletree owners group
« on: 20 Oct 2006, 03:06 pm »
I was emailing Hartwerger about trading tubes and I had a thought. What about having a bookmobile for tubes that is supported by mapletree owners? If you want to hear the tube selection, you pay the shipping. There will be a starter set of tubes to get a feel for different tubes without having to buy anything. I just bought a couple dozen tubes on ebay and would be happy to use these as the floater/starter set. Is this notion crazy? I would be interested in anyones thoughts on this, thanks.
Bill

steve k

Re: mapletree owners group
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2006, 04:24 pm »
That's a cool idea Bill. I've never gotten past the RCA 12SX7GT's with my Magic 5B, I like them so much but I'd love to try some others.

I am, however, starting to assemble some other 6R7's just for kicks for any of you Magic 5B/Octal 6 Owners out there who might be interested. So far, I've tried National Union 6R7's, Sylvanias, Philcos, and GE's. I'm also ordering some really strange ones: French made Neotron metal over glass 6R7GT's and French made Visseaux 6R7MG's.

Should be fun.
steve

Berndt

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2006, 04:30 pm »
I'll research a nice hardshell case for the traveling tube set.

londonbarn

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2006, 07:03 am »
I also think that is a great idea....  I am pretty sure we are all trustworthy.... I at least know I am

Berndt

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:50 pm »
still looking for a nice hardshell shipping case, any thoughts?

audioferret

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2006, 06:27 am »
still looking for a nice hardshell shipping case, any thoughts?

How about this one? 

http://www.tubedepot.com/tubecube.html

There are a bunch of cases out there.  We may be able to make our own custom one for cheaper, but this one seems made for the job already.

Berndt

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2006, 11:25 pm »
I saw the tube depot case, I don't think it is large enough, want it to be all in one.
I am looking to get an old tube case, service tech style, a few on ebay loaded with tubes I'll never use. Anyways, I'll double box this vintage tube case and be done.
I am soliciting now to have someone work through all these ebay tubes and verify their quality/matching.

Berndt

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2006, 05:00 am »
I found a hardshell case, our lab had a case for shipping test tubes.
Perfect!
BTW, I finally received a Mullard EZ35.
Takes this little guy to a different planet.
My back wall is suddenly another 4 feet back.
I hope I can score another for the travelling kit.

Berndt

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:21 pm »
That's a cool idea Bill. I've never gotten past the RCA 12SX7GT's with my Magic 5B, I like them so much but I'd love to try some others.

I am, however, starting to assemble some other 6R7's just for kicks for any of you Magic 5B/Octal 6 Owners out there who might be interested. So far, I've tried National Union 6R7's, Sylvanias, Philcos, and GE's. I'm also ordering some really strange ones: French made Neotron metal over glass 6R7GT's and French made Visseaux 6R7MG's.

Should be fun.
steve

Anything to report on the 6r7 rolling?
what part of the pre do they manage, btw?

steve k

« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:59 pm »
Forgot all about reporting on this. Sorry about that. Good catch, Berndt.

Actually there's not much difference. Doc Peppard explained that since the CF circuit uses 100% negative feedback, there would be little difference between brands. In the Magic 5B the 6R7's are the output tubes in the circuit, the input is split between each side of the center 12SN7 triode.

Overall, the metal tubes (RCA, Visseuax and Neotrons) seem to be a bit brighter. The Nationals are quite smooth but a bit rolled off on top. For me, my favorites seem to be the Sylvanias and Philcos. They have a nice combination of clarity, detail, and bass without being too bright. This is all specific to my system of course (VTL's/Magnepans).

There seems to be much more sonic difference between 12SN7's in the SRPP circuit than with the 6R7's in the CF circuit. I tend to use the 6R7 circuit most of the time--it is more fuller bodied with better bass than the SRPP circuit in my system.

steve

Berndt

« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2006, 06:55 pm »
I am having brightness issues. I run the mullard short base ez35, and rca 12sx7gt's. This is the best combo for me, I like the coke bottle rectifiers as they add some midrange warmth but they bring more top end extension which I don't like. I know my room is bright and my current oxo combination on my smgas is on the bright side as well, just tuning what I can afford to.