19.7 EMI reading - need PC?

forky

19.7 EMI reading - need PC?
« on: 23 Aug 2021, 05:28 pm »
Hello,

Before I spent a few more $k I wanted to get a baseline. I live on a small mountain and although I don't think we have ever had a significant surge we often have brownouts which can last from .1-20 seconds (then our Generac kicks in). Because of this I have all PComputers, the 2 TVs, my driving sim and my new stereo running through (higher end?) Cyber Power UPS's - the stereo is going through Cyber Power 1350 VA. I saw a youtube vid the other day that this one gives out very clean sign waves under back up.

I've been watching youtube vids and reading online about Power Cleaners which lead me to ordering a Trifield Meter EM100. I understand this may not be perfectly accurate but should hopefully be in the ballpark.

Well it just arrived and I plugged it into the UPS and the reading is fluctuating between 19.5-20.5. The instruction booklet says that anything below 50 is considered low noise. I then plugged it directly into the wall and was given a 16.5-17.5. I don't think 3 points, which is what the UPS is costing me is that significant (?).

At what point does someone "need" to consider buying a PC and how how noticeable do you think it would be going from a 20 to 0?

thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: 19.7 EMI reading - need PC?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2021, 06:13 pm »
I have no EMI meter but in my experience in pro-áudio and hi-fi the only mandatory correction are too low or too hi voltage tô protect the equips from damage,  others corrections are useful if possíble.