How can Amazon be so successful and have such a bad search engine!

JakeJ

Help!  For two days I have been searching for what appears to be the video equivalent of a unicorn.  I need a short (3 to 3.3 ft) HDMI to DisplayPort cable or an adapter might work too.  Preference for the straight cable.  Now let me be clear, I need HDMI TO DisplayPort.  NOT DisplayPort TO HDMI.  I tried to get Amazon to play nice but no go.  All I get are unidirectional DisplayPort TO HDMI and I did get one just find they are indeed one-way only

Amazon's search engine frustrates me daily.

Charles Xavier

Amazon Basics DisplayPort Male to HDMI Male Uni-Directional Display Cable 4K@30Hz, 6 Foot, Black https://a.co/d/bldSi4G

What's wrong with this is unidirectional

I.Greyhound Fan

Amazon is a pain to use.  It brings up cheap chinese products first and you have to sift through pages of junk sometimes.

Charles Xavier

Amazon is a pain to use.  It brings up cheap chinese products first and you have to sift through pages of junk sometimes.

Yeah like those Iphones

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
This company have a captive audience that even are happy tô pay tô buy nothing as Amazon prime. Til today its hard tô believe for me in things like this.

JakeJ

Amazon Basics DisplayPort Male to HDMI Male Uni-Directional Display Cable 4K@30Hz, 6 Foot, Black https://a.co/d/bldSi4G

What's wrong with this is unidirectional

Correct!  And it's the wrong way.  The cable you linked only transmits signal from DP on the PC to HDMI on the monitor.  I need just the opposite or it needs to be bidirectional.

Agreed.  The vendors pay to get better placement and higher visibility which wastes our time sifting.  Several instances my searches came back with the exact opposite of my search parameters.  I just tried again using quotation marks to no avail.  GRRRR!

Yeah like those Iphones

LOL!  Pesky iphones.  Although I did not have any phones show up in my searches.  :)

JakeJ

Amazingly I found one for less than $10!

JohnR

JakeJ

JohnR

Yours is the correct direction but the DP port is female which is the same on the monitor.  I need that to be male.  Odd that this is such a rare critter.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Monoprice has additional options for you.

newzooreview

I usually use Blue Jeans Cable if I can allow a couple days for shipping.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-dvi-cables/index.htm

JohnR

Yours is the correct direction but the DP port is female which is the same on the monitor.  I need that to be male.  Odd that this is such a rare critter.

You would use a regular DisplayPort cable between this adapter and the monitor.
It does seem to be a fairly uncommon requirement... Out of curiosity, what are you connecting? maybe there's another way

JakeJ

Thanks all for the replies.

So I went down tf1216's rabbit hole and delved into Monoprice's deep inventory.  In reading some of the customer questions I learned that data transmission over HDMI/HDTV is different than DP so it's not just a simple rewire of the connectors, there are conversion chips needed in one end or the other.

Whaddaya know?  My monitor has a DVI input so now I can just get an HDMI to DVI cable and call it good.  Don't know why I was hung up on the display port other than in the back of my head I knew DP is really designed for mutiple monitor setups.  As an added bonus all the DVI/HDMI adapters and cables are bi-directional and can be connected either way.

JakeJ

You would use a regular DisplayPort cable between this adapter and the monitor.
It does seem to be a fairly uncommon requirement... Out of curiosity, what are you connecting? maybe there's another way

An ~5 year-old Dell monitor to my new stick PC which is HDMI x 2 connectors and the Dell has VGA, DVI, and DP.  So I'll take the easy way out and just go from HDMI to DVI bi-directional.  Less expensive too.

zoom25

Same goes for Reddit. Awful search engine.

You get better searches by using google for those sites. Amazon is very sensitive and particular.

Wayner

Many times, Amazon is actually the higher price.

JakeJ

That has not been my experience.

JakeJ

Now if I could just figure out how to get Xubuntu on it I'll be happy but making it dual boot with Win 11 is turning out to be challenging.

JohnR

What is the issue with Xubuntu install? I tend to just put Windows on one drive and Linux on another and select from the boot picker menu. This could presumably have one on the eMMC and one on an NVMe.

Anyway somewhat on topic for the thread, I just went to your link and there was a $30 off coupon.... so... I got the 8/128 verson for $126. Crazy.

JakeJ

I don't seem to be able to get the install, which is on a USB stick, to install.  Doesn't want to boot to the stick, well I'm probably doing something wrong.  What's weird is the bios is dynamic and changes from one time to the next.  Sometimes it has four choices to boot to and sometimes it has five with the USB boot choice being the one to disappear which I am sure has to with some choice I tried elswhere in the bios.  EUFI bios is different than the older PCs I've owned.

Or it could be the Windows Boot Manager?  Maybe I need to diable that to get the stick to boot?  Dunno...yet.  I've yet to figure out how I'll get it to give me choices of OS to boot to.  I am envisioning a small portable test bed for various Linux audio based distros like Volumio and Daphile.  Then I could just boot to the one I want to play with.  I bought the J4125 version as that one allows the user to add storage so I put a 2Tb M.2 2280 WD Black SSD in it which I then configured four partitions for Linux.  As you know it comes preloaded with Win 10 or 11 which I kinda wanted to keep but am willing to dump if I have to.

Support from MeLE is pretty good.  I emailed a question to the tech support group and it was answered in 24 hours and they sent me a link to a video for reinstalling Linux and/or Windows.

I am diggin' this Linux stuff combined with audio.  Appeals to my nerdy tech side.  I know I'm way behind the Linux curve but I'll catch up.

Have a great day down under.