Spinning discs.. dvd's cd's.. etc.

Carlman

Spinning discs.. dvd's cd's.. etc.
« on: 18 Aug 2021, 06:22 pm »
So... I like to watch Blu Ray DVD's and listen to CD's. 
I have a lot of music ripped to flac files and have a small dedicated PC that runs as a player.

I was going to buy about a $500 transport and a $?00 new blu ray player.   Then I got to thinking... why not get an external drive and play cd's and blu-ray's from my PC?  Saves me having to buy a new DVD player and transport...
Pioneer and LG make really nice players.

However, I realize the CPU and GPU are pretty outdated.  So, maybe it's time for a new PC?  Now I'm back to spending what I would've on a separate DVD and CD player... sigh.

However, I've noticed there are very few 'good' CD players and DVD players out there.  It's all about the streaming.  I really like picking out what I want to watch or listen to, and then playing it.  I like having my own library basically.  I don't want to rip the DVD's to a hard drive.

Not sure how many people find themselves in my bizarre condition, but I'd be interested to hear reasons why not to build a simple and small HTPC to play CD's and DVD's directly from it... And/or if you have any recommendations for a good desktop, I'd appreciate it.  Windows only... no Linux, no MacOS, etc.

Thanks!

Digi-G

Re: Spinning discs.. dvd's cd's.. etc.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2021, 03:14 pm »
I'm with you on having my own library and ability to watch what I want, when I want.  My stepson, who's in his 30s, said you can find anything you want on-line, and stream it.  Well, that's simply not so, especially if you like older movies at all.  I always think of Hitchcock movies.  Super popular in the 1950s and 1960s.  Not so popular on the streaming services.  There seems to be no shortage of modern horror movies on those services though (not my favorite genre).

A standalone player seems like it would be easier. And probably less expensive.  But an HTPC, which I really don't know much about, would have more flexibility, like the option to rip disks.  So, I really don't have a recommendation either way.

I DO like having the ability to spin a disk though.  I still play movies (DVD and blu-ray), CDs, SACD's and DVD-As, as well as blu-ray audio.  If you're into surround music, which I am, playing it from a disk is by far the easiest method.

I also have a lot of flac files that I listen to.  Very convenient and they sound great.  I'm adding to my flac library constantly, mostly albums.  Not sure how much my response helps, but your "condition" doesn't seem that bizarre to me.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2021, 06:55 pm »
So... I like to watch Blu Ray DVD's and listen to CD's. 
I have a lot of music ripped to flac files and have a small dedicated PC that runs as a player.

I was going to buy about a $500 transport and a $?00 new blu ray player.   Then I got to thinking... why not get an external drive and play cd's and blu-ray's from my PC?  Saves me having to buy a new DVD player and transport...
Pioneer and LG make really nice players.

However, I realize the CPU and GPU are pretty outdated.  So, maybe it's time for a new PC?  Now I'm back to spending what I would've on a separate DVD and CD player... sigh.

However, I've noticed there are very few 'good' CD players and DVD players out there.  It's all about the streaming.  I really like picking out what I want to watch or listen to, and then playing it.  I like having my own library basically.  I don't want to rip the DVD's to a hard drive.

Not sure how many people find themselves in my bizarre condition, but I'd be interested to hear reasons why not to build a simple and small HTPC to play CD's and DVD's directly from it... And/or if you have any recommendations for a good desktop, I'd appreciate it.  Windows only... no Linux, no MacOS, etc.

Thanks!

All of my music, movies, videos, pics, are stored on a central NAS (40 TB's) and my various computers/devices connect to it and provide playback all around the house.

I could never go back to a cd or blu-ray player.

Unfortunately, now is a very challenging (and expensive) time to buy/build a computer due parts shortages (especially GPU's).

Normally, I build my own, but not these days.  I had to buy one of my kids a new gaming PC since I can't get a decent GPU for anything close to a reasonable price.

Best of luck.

George

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2021, 07:46 pm »

First, there is no such thing as a simple HTPC, small is easy. How deep do you really want to go? I can help but you will have to put on your propeller beanie.

Second, where is this HTPC going to live? If in the living room next to the TV then you should go with a fanless design. I just built a music server, the concept is the same but all the parts will be different for a HTPC. The fanless HTPC case can be smaller if you don't mind the power supply outside the box. Start here for my build thread:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177495.msg1867916#msg1867916

My office desktop computer is 10 years old so I'm now in the process of updating that computer too, all the parts arrived today. This computer is general purpose and also serves as the HTPC, it lives in my office so fans are OK. A long HDMI cable through the ceiling down a wall to the surround processor and TV connects everything.

The primary specification for a HTPC is resolution. Your next TV will be high definition if it isn't already, that means 4K HDMI - 4096x2160@60Hz. You will need a 65 watt, 11th Gen Intel processor. I just got an Intel i7-11700 for $290.09. The motherboard, memory, 1 GB M.2 SSD and other stuff cost an additional $340.00. I'm reusing my case, power supply, DVD player, etc.

Ready to build?

Carlman

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2021, 09:51 pm »
Interesting ideas but I'm only interested in playing discs. Bluray and CDs only.
I have another machine in my office for ripping CDs.
But I sometimes just want to play the CD or DVD in my hand.
I'm going to experiment with what I have and see if I can make it work.
I don't have 4k stuff yet and won't for years.
My tv is a 9' retractable screen w a JVC rx10 projector. It's all I need or want.
I want good quality, simple and easy disc player but will last 10 years. 
I have a small fanless pc w/ monitor in my room now. I'll add an external DVD drive and see how it goes.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2021, 10:09 pm »
Possibly all you need but will it be sufficient to satisfy your urges?

https://electronics.sony.com/tv-video/blu-ray-dvd-players/blu-ray/p/bdps6700

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2021, 11:38 pm »
My Oppo 95 gets about 10 hours of use a week.  My backup plan? I bought another Oppo 95 and put it in the other room and turn it on occasionally just to charge the caps.  I still have a Netflix DVD plan (which they support, but not longer offer).  I've been adding movies that I really want to my collection a few at a time.  Spinning disc will go the way of 8 mm home movies.   All technology is temporary. 

Randy

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2021, 12:28 am »
My Oppo 95 gets about 10 hours of use a week.  My backup plan? I bought another Oppo 95 and put it in the other room and turn it on occasionally just to charge the caps.  I still have a Netflix DVD plan (which they support, but not longer offer).  I've been adding movies that I really want to my collection a few at a time.  Spinning disc will go the way of 8 mm home movies.   All technology is temporary.

And yet you listen to an archaic music source, spinning discs invented over 120 years ago - records.  :wink:

Vince in TX

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2021, 03:15 am »
The problem with playing those discs through your PC is DRM, or Digital Rights Management.   Most PCs these days can play DVD and standard Blu-ray (1080p), but it takes a specific set of hardware for 4K UHD.   I have systems that can do both.  One is an older Intel UMA system, which supports 4K UHD.  The other, and my primary HTPC, is AMD based (Ryzen 7 2700 Pro and Radeon Pro WX7100).   That system does standard Blu-Ray, but lacks the PlayReady DRM needed for 4K HDR content.   it does have 10-bit support, however, and the Windows desktop looks amazing on my Sony VPL-VW715ES projector.  I even have the desktop resolution set to 2.40:1.  That system does have a Blu-ray drive it it, and I have played back content from it through my AVR, but I primarily use it as a Plex server to play all of my local content (9TB and counting, both movies and music) through my Apple TV.

Once you start using Plex, there’s no going back.   All of my MP3s from 20+ years ago were instantly catalogued, organized by artist and album, and even have the option for displaying the lyrics in real time for most tracks.   I saw artists and albums I forgot I had.

For discs, I am building a nice collection of 4K UHD movies, and I play them through a Panasonic DP-UB9000.  That player even makes standard Blu-ray and even my older DVD discs look pretty darn good.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2021, 04:31 am »
And yet you listen to an archaic music source, spinning discs invented over 120 years ago - records.  :wink:
Yes I do! And my vinyl is 90% of my listening.  But I'm aware that digital has more advantages for most.  Those of us that have large physical collections are becoming scarcer with each passing year. 

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2021, 05:29 am »
The other, and my primary HTPC, is AMD based (Ryzen 7 2700 Pro and Radeon Pro WX7100).   That system does standard Blu-Ray, but lacks the PlayReady DRM needed for 4K HDR content.   it does have 10-bit support, however, and the Windows desktop looks amazing on my Sony VPL-VW715ES projector.

I love it but the PC seems more like a proof-of-concept that a practical solution to playing a Blu-ray. The Ryzen and Radeon alone cost $1283, add in all the other stuff like motherboard, case, power supply, memory, etc. and for a little under $2000 you get a PC that is almost but not quite as good as a $177 LG Blu-ray player.

Your PC would be good for playing a 83.5 GB Blu-ray rip of Blade Runner 2049.  :wink:

My brother has a new 65" Sony 4K TV but I still prefer my 60" Panasonic plasma even if it is only 1080p, the bonus is the Oppo BDP103 works just fine. I use the PC to stream. The Netflix app into my surround processor via HDMI gives me true Dolby Atmos sound right now and 4K later if I ever needed it.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2021, 11:05 am »
I still miss Blockbuster.  Meeting my sweetie there after work, walking the new releases aisle picking out the weekend selections, filing in with an old classic, rushing back to avoid late charges.  I wonder if software to recreate that experience while browsing your 40T NAS would be popular.

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2021, 03:18 pm »
I still miss Blockbuster.  Meeting my sweetie there after work, walking the new releases aisle picking out the weekend selections, filing in with an old classic, rushing back to avoid late charges.  I wonder if software to recreate that experience while browsing your 40T NAS would be popular.

Yea! Kind of like what Plex Server does but they should put the movie covers on shelves.

Light your Blockbuster candle while browsing for the complete immersive experience
https://diocandlecompany.com/products/video-store-candle-wax-tart?variant=31879063011426

Scent Profile: Popcorn – Carpet – VHS
• Top Notes: Butter, Carpet Fibers, Dust, Sugar
• Mid Notes: Popcorn, VHS Box
• Base Notes: Patchouli, Sandalwood

Vince in TX

« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2021, 02:23 pm »
I love it but the PC seems more like a proof-of-concept that a practical solution to playing a Blu-ray. The Ryzen and Radeon alone cost $1283, add in all the other stuff like motherboard, case, power supply, memory, etc. and for a little under $2000 you get a PC that is almost but not quite as good as a $177 LG Blu-ray player.

Your PC would be good for playing a 83.5 GB Blu-ray rip of Blade Runner 2049.  :wink:

My brother has a new 65" Sony 4K TV but I still prefer my 60" Panasonic plasma even if it is only 1080p, the bonus is the Oppo BDP103 works just fine. I use the PC to stream. The Netflix app into my surround processor via HDMI gives me true Dolby Atmos sound right now and 4K later if I ever needed it.

Right.   I sometimes forget how much this stuff costs.   I’ve been working for AMD for over 20 years now and haven’t had to pay for a graphics card or processor (unless for competitive analysis) in at least that length of time.   😁.  And, no, I can’t get free samples since most of what I use is pre-production. 

G E

« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2021, 02:56 pm »
My 10 year old blu ray player was not playing blu ray reliably.  DVDs are fine.

I’ve been watching for Pioneer LX500 units but they are expensive when they do appear on market. Panasonic players were a possibility but they don’t play sacd or dvd-a. I mainly play records but do have about 50 hi Rez audio discs.

By chance I found a NOS Pioneer BDP 85fd universal player.  Nice! Built like a tank and the picture quality is exquisite on my pioneer Kuro plasma. DVD upsampling must be seen to be believed. So impressed was I that an open box NOS unit was purchased for back up.

No, it doesn’t play 4K discs but does upsample to 4K  this suits my needs perfectly.

My library is primarily content from 1930-1965 with some from 1970’s and very little after that. Much of my library in dvd will likely never be released on blu ray.

As one other person mentioned, I’ll play both machines to keep caps formed and exercise moving parts. I got a 4 year square trade warranty on one unit. Debating getting one for the second.

Good luck on your hunt!  Some of the higher end Sony players might be worth considering.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2021, 03:20 pm »
All of my music, movies, videos, pics, are stored on a central NAS (40 TB's) and my various computers/devices connect to it and provide playback all around the house.

I could never go back to a cd or blu-ray player.

Unfortunately, now is a very challenging (and expensive) time to buy/build a computer due parts shortages (especially GPU's).

Same here, except for the videos but have lots of music files (not that I don't have lots of video discs but it would take lots of storage and work at this point as I have over 800 movies).  I actually have some old Oppo players, mainly in secondary systems if someone brings over a disc (and sold an Oppo 203 not that long ago I had in a secondary system).  I have a Panasonic 9000 in my main UHD system (and I'll only use it a few times/year for audio files from my NAS) and it is really nice.  Use a Panasonic 820 in the main system just for video and have another 820 in the upstair bonus room, which is basically a guest bedroom.  The 820 will play almost all of my music files (I have it hooked to the network and it retrieves them from the NAS).  I picked up both 820s for $400 (got the 9000 first and was so impressed with the video vs. the Oppo 203 that I went out and got them - don't play discs of course so it is not an issue).  The Panasonic 9000 is a good CD player in its own right but of course won't play SACDs or DVD-As.  One could of course rip those to files or have someone do it for them and even play them back from a hard drive.

For DVD-As, there is DVD Audio Extractor (used them for mine but haven't used it in years as by the time I did them they weren't releasing titles on the format and now many of those are available as downloads available for purchase - as our some of the SACDs either in DSD or hi-rez PCM).  For SACDs, there are various ways to do them - e.g. https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/sony-blu-ray-players-used-for-sacd-ripping.26078/    A friend of mine bought one of the cheaper Sony players to do it.

Carlman

« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2021, 11:14 am »
I seriously researched Plex because that concept mimics what I do now for serving music... but with a much more refined interface.
I already have my music collection in .flac.. I was an early adopter to PC listening.
Converting my smallish collection of 150 or so DVD's wouldn't be a huge deal.  I have an old (but good) PC that could be the ripper and server.
But.. do I want that project?
I also seem to be a fan of 'phsyical media'.
I could get a $50- $600 blu-ray player.  I actually already have a cheap Panasonic or Samsung now..
I have some compatibility issues to consider too.  The audio output choices from the DVD player don't always match my older receiver... and the HDMI cable itself has to be upgraded I think.
So, I may get a new AVR (receiver) and blu-ray and/or CD player that's easy to use.
I don't understand the streaming player concept.  Or voice activation.  I was looking at a Denon AVR that has voice recognition.  I don't want to be recorded and put on a server.  Everyone's in the spy business now and you have no control or say as to how these devices (really) operate.
I will likely do as many here are.. look for NOS open box stuff that was focused on its primary objective: to reliably play discs at high quality without all the fluff features.
I might even get 2 devices.. the Audiolab 6000 for CD's and something like an LG UBK90 for DVD's.  And a receiver that doesn't listen to me... if that exists.
My 15 year old Onkyo 'works' but it's never been great.  I'd like something a little warmer... like an older Marantz maybe.... we'll see.

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2021, 11:26 am »
Compatibility issues usually are difficult.  I just upgraded receivers and swapped things from one system to the next (have a bunch of secondary systems).  When I got my Panasonic 9000 (already had gotten a newer 65 inch UHD TV), I moved the old UHD player and old 55 inch UHD TV to my upstairs bonus room (basically a guest bedroom).  When I tried a 3D movie (just for kicks), my old Marantz SR6003 wouldn't pass it (it has HDMI version 1.3 vs. 1.4, which is needed).  Couldn't get it to work even splitting the audio and video HDMI cables.  So I temporarily put a cheaper receiver I was using for passive speakers with a back-up computer there until I upgraded.  The Marantz sounded really nice (I have a pair of GR Research N3 speakers as mains in the bonus room).  When it's not too hot (I live in FL), I can move the Marantz to use with the speakers I have in the garage.  When it's hot, I don't spend time in the garage anyway.  Something like the Marantz 6003 shouldn't be hard to find at a reasonable price.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2021, 11:52 am »
I seriously researched Plex because that concept mimics what I do now for serving music... but with a much more refined interface.
I already have my music collection in .flac.. I was an early adopter to PC listening.
Converting my smallish collection of 150 or so DVD's wouldn't be a huge deal.  I have an old (but good) PC that could be the ripper and server.
But.. do I want that project?
I also seem to be a fan of 'phsyical media'.
I could get a $50- $600 blu-ray player.  I actually already have a cheap Panasonic or Samsung now..
I have some compatibility issues to consider too.  The audio output choices from the DVD player don't always match my older receiver... and the HDMI cable itself has to be upgraded I think.
So, I may get a new AVR (receiver) and blu-ray and/or CD player that's easy to use.
I don't understand the streaming player concept.  Or voice activation.  I was looking at a Denon AVR that has voice recognition.  I don't want to be recorded and put on a server.  Everyone's in the spy business now and you have no control or say as to how these devices (really) operate.
I will likely do as many here are.. look for NOS open box stuff that was focused on its primary objective: to reliably play discs at high quality without all the fluff features.
I might even get 2 devices.. the Audiolab 6000 for CD's and something like an LG UBK90 for DVD's.  And a receiver that doesn't listen to me... if that exists.
My 15 year old Onkyo 'works' but it's never been great.  I'd like something a little warmer... like an older Marantz maybe.... we'll see.

BTW, you can use JRiver instead of Plex.

I stopped using Plex a long time ago and have never looked back.

George

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2021, 03:12 pm »
Yes I do! And my vinyl is 90% of my listening.  But I'm aware that digital has more advantages for most.  Those of us that have large physical collections are becoming scarcer with each passing year.

Hey why not. Especially if you have the original on vinyl rather than a transfer to CD. For me spinning the Cd or LP is better than streaming. Playing from the ripped or down loaded music SS hard drive is better than streaming.
  The only digital format I find better spinning any format is playing TRUE DSD meaning actually recorded in DSD from SS hard drive. That would be Bluecoast records.

charles