Grover U8 Interconnects

denjo

Grover U8 Interconnects
« on: 8 Oct 2006, 11:22 am »
Still early days, but Grover's U8 ICs are very impressive sounding! When I recently upgraded from Acoustic Zen Matrix to Neotech top-of-the-line silver (I have heard these are the same as the AZ Silver Refs), I thought that things could not get any better! On a whim, and not expecting that much, I was more curious to try Grover's latest cables, the U8 - just to see how far off Grover's cables would be on my reference scale. At 1/4 the price of the Neotechs, I reckon I can't lose much! I was really not prepared that Grover's U8 could sound so good, and even more surprised that it was better than my Neotechs by a big margin!! As I said, its still early days but I am exceedingly impressed! I wonder if George (Zybar) or anyone else have tried the Grover ICs and would like to chime in!

Dennis
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2006, 11:53 am by denjo »

yo2tup

Re: Grover U8 Interconnects
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2006, 05:09 am »
i've been using the UR8's for a couple months, and I like them.  don't really have much to compare them too except for previous grover revisions. 

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2006, 05:15 am »
Still early days, but Grover's U8 ICs are very impressive sounding! When I recently upgraded from Acoustic Zen Matrix to Neotech top-of-the-line silver (I have heard these are the same as the AZ Silver Refs), I thought that things could not get any better! On a whim, and not expecting that much, I was more curious to try Grover's latest cables, the U8 - just to see how far off Grover's cables would be on my reference scale. At 1/4 the price of the Neotechs, I reckon I can't lose much! I was really not prepared that Grover's U8 could sound so good, and even more surprised that it was better than my Neotechs by a big margin!! As I said, its still early days but I am exceedingly impressed! I wonder if George (Zybar) or anyone else have tried the Grover ICs and would like to chime in!

Dennis

Where can you buy this IC? I don't recall Grover has a website.. :scratch:

denjo

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2006, 05:40 am »
95bcwh

Grover does not have a website. You can reach him on his email - groverhuffman@hotmail.com

Dennis

HChi

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2006, 09:32 pm »
It is good to hear someone else is also enjoying these. I have been using them since UR6. I compared  UR7 to Cyberlight Wave with Power Pack II that I also have.  To my surprise, UR7 exceed in more area than I would suspect.  I have had a U8 for a few months also, but my system has been 'down', so I haven't had a chance to do a U8 vs. Cyberlight Wave with Power Pack III rematch yet.  For all that want a good sounding pair of IC, but don't to pay an arm and a leg for it.  I would strongly recommend to try it out.  :thumb:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2006, 09:41 pm »
It is good to hear someone else is also enjoying these. I have been using them since UR6. I compared  UR7 to Cyberlight Wave with Power Pack II that I also have.  To my surprise, UR7 exceed in more area than I would suspect.  I have had a U8 for a few months also, but my system has been 'down', so I haven't had a chance to do a U8 vs. Cyberlight Wave with Power Pack III rematch yet.  For all that want a good sounding pair of IC, but don't to pay an arm and a leg for it.  I would strongly recommend to try it out.  :thumb:

If you are coming Saturday, why don't you bring them and we will compare them to Silver Fi interconnects.

HChi

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2006, 10:08 pm »

If you are coming Saturday, why don't you bring them and we will compare them to Silver Fi interconnects.

In this case, I will need to throw a pair on the cable cooker because I have not had a chance to use them since I got it.  I will bring them if I can make it on Sat.

BlackSandCable

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2006, 10:33 pm »

Dennis

I don't publicly endorse to many products but Grover's UR8's are an exception to the rule. I use them in my own system and have recommended more people then I can keep track of to at the very least, audition them!  :thumb:

duff138

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2006, 10:56 pm »
"he has just released the new "Grover S" cables, which he describes as "a new design that outperforms the UR8".

95bcwh

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2006, 11:05 pm »
Hmm.. I just got the Grover IC two weeks ago, I'm not even sure whether it is the U8 or the "S cable" :scratch:

Nevertheless, I will have the opportunity to evaluate it once I've received my Moscode amp tomorrow. Will report back with my impression. aa

nicksgem10s

« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov 2006, 11:06 pm »
I have seen that you really like the sound of your Moscode.  Do you have an opinion on the Grover S interconnects?  I appreciate your opinion and sharing your experience.

95bcwh

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2006, 01:34 am »
I will want to break in this Grover "S" IC for few more days before I can make any comment..stay tuned

Steve

« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2006, 12:15 am »
I will want to break in this Grover "S" IC for few more days before I can make any comment..stay tuned

Any conclusions yet? Looking forward to your comments 95.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2006, 04:28 am by Steve »

95bcwh

« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2006, 01:53 am »
Now, I'm 100% convinced that asking for opinion about cables is a complete waste of time.

The Grover "S" cable sounded less transparent in my system compared to the Electra cable.

But a friend of mine who's comparing the same thing in his setup told me that he hears the opposite, that the Grover is much more transparent than the Electra! :o

I'm dumbfounded! It's certainly easier to be a judge in a beauty contest.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2006, 02:17 am by 95bcwh »

yo2tup

« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2006, 02:38 am »
Now, I'm 100% convinced that asking for opinion about cables is a complete waste of time.

The Grover "S" cable sounded less transparent in my system compared to the Electra cable.

But a friend of mine who's comparing the same thing in his setup told me that he hears the opposite, that the Grover is much more transparent than the Electra! :o

i'm using the grover S's now and i have some electra's coming my way this week......  :o

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2006, 03:03 am »

This phnomenon isn't just around cables. 

I have sat next to somebody at a show or a member's house and we have had totally opposite reactions and observations.   :duh:  :duh:  :duh:

So just listen and be your own judge.

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2006, 03:35 am »
This phnomenon isn't just around cables. 

I have sat next to somebody at a show or a member's house and we have had totally opposite reactions and observations.       

Yeah, that makes it tough. Then if they both post about it on the internet, which ones opinion do you go with? :duh:

Cheers

95bcwh

« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2006, 03:49 am »
That explains...why some people are willing to pay close to thousands for some kind of magic wooden knob that's supposed to change the sound of preamps for the better. :lol: :lol:

Yeah, that makes it tough. Then if they both post about it on the internet, which ones opinion do you go with? :duh:

Cheers

tdangelo

« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2006, 04:20 am »
ehehhe - thats really funny Barry  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

yo2tup

« Reply #19 on: 3 Dec 2006, 11:38 pm »

i can see where both of you are coming from.  when i took the grovers out and put the electra's in , i thought the electras sounded much cleaner but a bit dull.  after further comparison however,  I realized that the grovers seem to have smilie face frequency response with a boost in the highs and lows (like rock settings on equalizers).  this does give an exciting sound and the boost in the highs can make the sound appear to be more transparent.   i can see why people would like these cables their systems....(I've been using grovers for about a year now).  But when I put the electras in place, it made the grovers sound unrefined and artificial in comparison.  all of the detail is there with the electras, but is presented in a more natural and refined fashion.

also i noticed something wierd while comparing the two cables.  at the same volume setting the grovers are louder than the electras.  i need to raise the volume a click or two to get the same loudness with the electras in place.  did you guys notice this?

« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2006, 11:55 pm by yo2tup »