Shelf for Well Tempered Reference

daveyonthecoast

Shelf for Well Tempered Reference
« on: 22 Nov 2015, 08:38 am »
Hello Friend's
I have just moved into a new unit, an will be buying, a new hi fi rack, at the moment I have a Well Tempered Reference, which is made of fountain stone, which weigh's maybe 30 kilos, which is set atop of a thick marble slab, I have always been told the above is best on a solid foundation, you can;t get more solid then the above, however the racks I have google, have a weight limit of between 30 and 80 kilos, I wish to replace the marble support with something lighter!!, any suggestions
Regards
David

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
Re: Shelf for Well Tempered Reference
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2015, 09:58 am »

This is my solid oak framed shelf with baltic birch ply board. Sounds excellent!

ACHiPo

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2015, 08:05 pm »
Look for a Mana Acoustics wall shelf or rack.  They came from the UK and were designed for suspended tables like Linn, but I used one woith my WTT Reference for years with good success.

RPM123

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2015, 08:53 pm »
Hi,

I use an Adona "multi-element" platform underneath my WTT. It works and looks great!

http://www.adonacorporation.com/multi-element.html

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2015, 07:44 am »
Look for a Mana Acoustics wall shelf or rack.  They came from the UK and were designed for suspended tables like Linn, but I used one woith my WTT Reference for years with good success.

With respect here I think this is bad advise. The Mana gear (which I have owned and used) worked well with a Linn LP12 but WTL turntables don't sound their best on glass platforms IME. Oak isn't as good a material as certain other hardwoods but is aesthetically correct in my room. Baltic birch Ply is the best material that I've tried. I use furniture grade sections for all my boards which is a nice compromise but a rack made from solely BBP sounds great.

daveyonthecoast

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2015, 09:08 am »
Thanks Friends
I'm in the middle of moving flat, and just bought a hi fi rack, that will do me in mean time, will post again when I'm ready, how ever I have a new problem, which will be a new post
Thanks Again
David