SOLD: Van Alstine Fet Valve Hybrid DAC with lots of extras

WGH

I'm selling my wonderful, warm but detailed Audio by Van Alstine Fet Valve Hybrid DAC for $650.00. I am the original owner and bought this DAC new in 2012 for $2499.00. Condition is perfect with no scrapes or dings, no smoking or pets, this is not one of those stinky electronics found on eBay.

The AVA DAC is still one of the best DACs ever made, it uses the well regarded Wolfson 8742 chip along with a pair of Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 tubes. The Wolfson 8742 chip has been used in the PS Audio PerfectWave, Lampizator, Rega, and Cambridge Audio DACs.

The AVA Fet Valve Hybrid DAC has eight regulated power supplies, including separate regulated power supplies for the tube heater circuits, the digital circuits and independent high voltage, high current, analog regulated power supplies for each tube and each power mos-fet used in the Kayser/Broskie zero feedback analog filter and output circuits.

Frank Van Alstine writes:
 "...the Fet Valve DAC does indeed have a powerful, controlled, and very deep and clean bass response.  The analog output stage has a Broskie dual triode combined with a big high current power mos-fet follower.  It is not the dinky little linear op-amps or pea sized transistors used in most DACs."1

I agree, the bass is equal to my new Holo Audio May KTE, which is a dual-mono design, has a separate power supply and costs $5598.00.

This DAC has two COAX (SPDIF) and two OPTICAL inputs. The extras add the option to use a USB input. It is set up for 44K, 48K and 96K bit rates and can be user adjusted to accept 192 KHz/24 bit by moving one internal jumper. I used it exclusively for 44 KHz to 96 KHz digital rips and streams.

The included free extras allow an audiophile on a budget to dip a toe into the high-end without breaking the bank.
  • The Kingrex USB to SPDIF converter firmware has been upgraded to asynchronous 32 bit/ 384 KHz which was a big improvement in everything, from bass depth and tightness to clearer highs and extended soundstage. Windows drivers are included. The Kingrex also outputs AES-EBU and I2S although I haven't tried these outputs.
  • The Acopian P015MX100 Linear Regulated power supply removes the digital grunge for a clearer sound. The original switching power supply was holding back the full potential of the Kingrex converter.
  • Noise is the enemy of digital music, the JMaxwell USB cable is data only. The JMaxwell USB doesn't have a 5v leg, it is not needed because the Kingrex is powered by the Acopian. Music streamer noise and related jitter does not get to either the Kingrex or the AVA DAC, the resulting sound is pristine.
  • The DH Labs SilverSonic SPDIF cable is a true 75 ohm cable, well made and a perfect connection to the AVA DAC.
  • An extra matched pair of electro-harmonix 6CG7 tubes guarantees non-stop musical pleasure.

The only reason I'm selling is because I wanted to try out a true R2R DAC along and explore hi-res audio. The Holo Audio May KTE will support DSD1024 native and PCM 1.536MHz output. A new music server along with HQPlayer gives me plenty of options to play with.

SOLD  Van Alstine Fet Valve Hybrid DAC - price $650.00  SOLD

• Kingrex UC192 upgraded to UC384 - list $189.00 - price FREE
  • Acopian P015100 Linear Regulated power supply - list $290.00 - price FREE
  • JMaxwell 4' data only USB cable - list $270.00 - price FREE
  • DH Labs SilverSonic D-75 Coax/SPDIF cable - list $75.00 - price FREE
  • Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 tubes, matched pair - list $88.00 ($44 each) - price FREE

Original packing ensures safe shipping by FedEx from Tucson, AZ 85719.
Add 3% for PayPal plus shipping.

Audio by Van Alstine Fet Valve Hybrid DAC

Audio by Van Alstine Fet Valve Hybrid DAC - rear

Audio by Van Alstine Fet Valve Hybrid DAC - interior

Kingrex UC192 upgraded to UC384 USB to SPDIF converter with Windows drivers

Acopian P0MX100 Linear Regulated power supply

JMaxwell 4' long Data Only USB and DH Labs SilverSonic D-75 Coax/SPDIF cables

Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 tubes - matched pair

1 https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100682.msg1030463#msg1030463
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2022, 03:06 am by WGH »

viggen

Hi!

How do I connect the LPSU to the DAC?

WGH

Hi!

How do I connect the LPSU to the DAC?

The Acopian linear regulated power supply is connected to the 7.5 v DC power input of the KingRex USB to SPDIF converter. The DAC is plugged into an AC outlet, it comes with the original generic AC power cord.

The DH Labs D-75 cable connects the KingRex to the DAC.

viggen

Got it.  Didn't read the description clearly.  I've been looking for another Wolfson based DAC.  Lemme think about it.

If I don't want some of the accessories, could there be discount of asking price?

WGH

If I don't want some of the accessories, could there be discount of asking price?

Well... the accessories are free. If someone wants to make me an offer on splitting up the package I can subtract what I get from the DAC price.

Let me think about it. Send me a PM on what accessories you don't need.

WGH

Re: SOLD: Van Alstine Fet Valve Hybrid DAC with lots of extras
« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2022, 03:10 am »
SOLD for $650.00