NuPrime Evolution One Monobloc Amp died

alexreusch

NuPrime Evolution One Monobloc Amp died
« on: 24 Aug 2020, 09:05 am »
One of my NuPrime Evolution One Monobloc's just died. When I power it on, everything looks normal, the white control lamp on the front is working, but there is no output to the speaker. I already switched channels for the speakers and also the cables, so I made sure that the speaker and cables are all working fine. The Amp gets power, but no output to the speaker. Any hints? Is it really broken?

rustydoglim

Re: NuPrime Evolution One Monobloc Amp died
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2020, 10:46 am »
Try to power it off and unplug the AC cord. Wait a few minute and power on again. If this doesn't reset any relay inside, you should contact your distributor for service.

alexreusch

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2020, 11:35 am »
Unfortunately, I had to bring it to my dealer to repair.
This is already the 3rd issue I have with NuPrime products:
- First, I had a broken amp channel on my MCH-K38, which also killed one of my speakers (a very costly part on the speaker side)
- Second, another issue with the MCH-K38, where the main circuit board was broken
- And now this issue with the Evolution One Monobloc.

Do you have some serious quality issues? It is really painful, because I live in an area & country without any local NuPrime dealer. I always have to drive to Germany (and leave my country) to fix this stuff, that's why reliability is so crucial for me. It costs me a fortune, everytime I have to visit the dealer for hardware issues. When I was originally picking up my pair of Evolution One Monoblocs when I bought them new, the dealer had to postpone the scheduled date, because one amplifier was delivered as dead on arrival and it had to be replaced. This does not really speak for high quality nor for a final check before shipping...  I can't remember, that I had any other broken device from any other manufacturer in my whole setup (and I had a lot of gear over the years). Even after years of regular usage. Now, we are talking about the top end premium amplifier of NuPrime, that is broken. This thing should simply work rock solid. Why do NuPrime devices die like flies? What's going on here???  :roll: :evil: :duh:
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2020, 09:59 pm by alexreusch »

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2020, 07:55 pm »
Hmm, sorry to hear that. Bad luck?  If you are going to buy another NuPrime product, contact sales@nuprimeaudio.com and ask for Jason, remind me of your problems.  I will work with your distributor to offer you a good discount as my personal pledge to compensate you for your trouble.

MCH-K38 did have more quality problems than other models. And occasionally the heavy items get thrown around during shipping resulted in DOA. The Evo One amp should be quite reliable.  The 9 & 10 series are very reliable (we sold thousands of these models). I am not downplaying your problems, certainly for every problem that is reported here, there are many that are fine.

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2020, 04:58 pm »
Please contact sales@nuprimeaudio.com, perhaps I can work with your distributor (Audium) to service your amp directly without you traveling to Germany.  We can try to cover your shipping cost so the service will come at no cost to you.

alexreusch

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2020, 07:11 pm »
I already brought the Evolution One Amp to my dealer in Germany. According to the dealer, he will send it in to the distributor (Audium) for the repair.

alexreusch

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2020, 01:48 pm »
I just got informed by my dealer, that the repair can not be carried out under warranty because the warranty period has been exceeded and the damage and the parts to be replaced are too extensive. It seems that the motherboard is burned and has to be completely replaced along with other parts. Oh my god... :o How is this even possible?

This is THE absolute premium product of the NuPrime portfolio and such a failure should never ever happen on such a premium product. Now, it's on me as a client to pay for the expensive repairs on a product that seem to have slipped through quality controls (I doubt that there is any, if you look at my history with NuPrime). Wow, I am really pissed.  :icon_twisted: :duh:

Samoyed

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2020, 04:32 pm »
I’m sorry for you, but not surprised. If my Evo DAC packs it in, I won’t bother.

alexreusch

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2020, 06:05 pm »
You won't bother? Sorry, but we are talking about a huge investment in a flagship product. I spent almost 8'000 Euros for my two Evo One amplifiers (currently about USD 9'200). Maybe you don't care to throw away so much money, but I do care. I am really stressed out. I feel betrayed by a company that sold me a premium product twice (MCH-K38 & Evo One), which both had high quality deficiencies. Now i have to bear expensive repair costs due to poor product quality. I usually run my equipment with care and it lasts for many years. But the NuPrime products die like flies. :nono:

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2020, 11:51 pm »
Contact Nuprime directly. I tried to help but you already sent the amps to dealer.
Please create a help desk ticket from nuprime website and in the ticket, describe the problem and your date of purchase.  Ask for Jason. They will get me involve.

The repair is done by the distributor anyway, not the dealer.  I will work with the distributor to find out how we can service this amp.

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2020, 12:19 am »
Allow me to explain the relationship between all these business entities and how best to approach such a frustrating problem.
Giving up or venting your anger in public is your right, but that won't help to get the problem fixed.

Nuprime sells the product to a distributor, which then sells to dealers. Product warranty and service is covered by the distributor.
So if the dealer or distributor can't or won't help, any customer can get in touch with NuPrime, through our help desk and support contacts.
Like I said, venting your anger here only gets my attention (whenever I read this forum, which is once a week or so), but won't get your problem fixed. I need to get you into the system..

Why use Help Desk?  (See https://nuprimeaudio.com/support/)
Because it is being monitored by Taiwan factory staff, myself, support manager, and R&D manager. 
Normally the distributors will just ask for free parts and the factory staff just ship to them.
But some problems occur where distributor can't figure out, support or R&D manager get involved to help determine the problem and parts needed.
In other cases such as this one where the warranty has expired, the distributor can't get the parts free of charge, then they won't fix it for free.
Even if I am aware of this problem here, I won't be able to intercept.

However frustrated you are, please try to help us so we can help you. In your helpdesk ticket, provide as much detail information as possible:
1. Problem description, history
2. Where is the item currently located?
3. Purchase date, from who.

The service and parts cost could be hundreds of $, so I can negotiate with your distributor if it is out of warranty, about who should covers it.
For example, if you are only just out of warranty but had the problem before, I can authorise the parts free of charge (and only I can do that) in the help desk, and then the factory staff will follow my instruction. Keep in mind that I don't work in Taiwan, so we rely on help desk to communicate across the world! Someone has to cover the labor cost, so I also have to negotiate with your distributor.

alexreusch

« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2020, 12:11 pm »
Thanks for your reply.
Let me explain my painful way a little bit further:

I bought the HD-AVP & MCH-K38 combo mid 2016. Since there was no local dealer in Switzerland selling NuPrime products at the time, I was buying through USA (John Casler). I had one of the very first badges produced and I think this was a big mistake. I was trying to use bridged mode and unfortunately, channel 7/8 was broken and it burned/baked one of my speakers (Piega Coax, $7'500 per piece). I opened a support ticket (NUPRIME-Z9GU6L79F1, mytdss.com). The support organisation could not really help me and all I could do was to deactivate the defevtive channels and just use channels 1-6 (unbridged mode). Returning the device back to the US was not really practical as I was not sure, if they could find the problem or were even willing to help me. Handling costs (shipping/tax/administration) were not in relation to an uncertain outcome. But hey, your quality product just killed a high-end speaker. Isn't that great?

By end of July 2018, I bought the Evo One Monoblocs. At the time, there was the possibility to buy through a dealer in Germany (I live 2 hours away in Switzerland) and through an official European distributor (Audium). I thought: Lessons learned, if there is a problem, I have a least a (local) dealer in reasonable distance, who then can support me. As I said earlier, the dealer had to postpone the pick-up of the amplifiers, as one of the Evo One Monoblocs was delivered dead on arrival (DOD) and hat to be replaced. About 8 months ago, my MCH-K38 died completely (ticket #403). So I ordered the MCX-4 as a replacement and brought the defective MCH-K38 for a checkup. Maybe it was worth to let it repair for little money, so I still could sell it on the used market? Unfortunately, the dealer started to do repair work, without making an cost estimate in advance and was already asking for 450 Euros. The main board was burned and had to be replace and as I knew already, the channel module 7/8 was broken. He offered me to deactivate channel 8, as channel 7 in unbridged mode was still working fine. When I was picking up the repaired MCH-K38, he then asked for 650 Euros and told me, that now everything is fixed and all channels are fully working. Hmmm... OK, not what we had agreed on, but fine, this might help me to sell the device easier. Back at home, I put it for sell on the used market and immediately got some requests. Unlike NuPrime, I do make final quality checks and I noticed, that channel 8 was not functional. So I paid 200 Euros more, for not a full repair service. Just another deep blow. I than had to revise my offering and lower the price in order to be able to sell the defective device. I now need to get the 200 Euros back from the dealer.

Now to the problem of the Evolution One Amplifier:
Some time ago, I started to notice a silent whistling of the Evo One. This was only during standby mode, not when running. I asked in the forum and also my dealer for advice, if there could be another defect. But I was told that this can come from the coils and is nothing to worry about. As it was not audible when listening to music, I did not insist. What a mistake! Now, the Evo One died (burned main board again... I wonder what are the fuses for?) and the distributor (Audium) is hiding behind warranty clauses. OK, the European law has a mandatory warranty of 2 years. I bought my Evo One Amplifier on July 28, 2018, which means that I have slipped the warranty by a few days. What is funny, is that another German NuPrime customer told me, that Audium provides extended warranty for devices sold by them, which covers 3 years. (https://www.audium.com/garantiekarte.php?). So why do I get threated this way? Why do I not profit of the extended warranty? I bought my device through an official NuPrime dealer and through the official sales channel of NuPrime. I mean, guys... I am not a customer that bought the cheapest NuPrime device available and now make a big drama. Sorry, I invested heavily in NuPrime: HD-AVP, MCH-K38, MCX-4, 2x Evolution One Amps. Put the numbers together and then you might understand, why I not a happy camper. I really expect to get treated better than this. Or am I asking too much?

You can easily say, that I am ranting. OK, you can do that. But I see it that way: The distributor that NuPrime has chosen, is the official representation and brand ambassador of NuPrime in this region. If the distributor is not providing a good service or treat customers well, it falls back to NuPrime as a company. NuPrime has selected the distributor, not me. I went the supposed way through the local service provider, which is dealer/distributor. That's the whole sense of having distributors and dealers, not? Otherwise, you have to switch to a direct selling business. For me, it does not make sense to open a separate support ticket at NuPrime directly in this setup (but here we go: ticket #582). The distributor should be able to escalate a problem to NuPrime and he also should do it in special situations. Ok, now I am back in direct dealing mode. But what is the function of the distributor then?

Anyway, I am here to give feedback as loyal customer, that the NuPrime distributor/dealer setup for this region is not working well. And so far, I am more than concerned about recommending NuPrime to other people in my network.

rustydoglim

« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2020, 07:52 pm »
Thanks for your explanation and we are not suppressing any legitimate complains. I think customers understand that problems though relatively rare, but will occur. And nobody wants to be the unlucky one to stuck with the problem.

As I tried to explain, a distributor or dealer represents many brands. They are loyal to the brands, and would try to protect their reputation. But they are not Nuprime.  When a dealer told the customer: "we are not going to fix this" or "we can't help you", most people would think "Why is Nuprime responding in such a way, bad company...".  And most of them would assume that Nuprime is aware of the problem and decided not to help.  So, please, contact the company directly.
The difference is this: A distributor follows rules of engagement and for example, if the warranty has expired even for a few days to a month, they can choose not to provide free service. But for Nuprime, we don't view things as clear cut as a distributor.
Because 1) it is OUR REPUTATION that is at stake (distributor can replace us, but we can't replace ourselves, big difference, we have to fix our problems); 2) we take pride in our products and when shit happens, we will do what we can to fix it.  Sometimes we make mistakes and we own our mistakes.

So bottom line, distributor/dealer is not equal to NuPrime. I am not assigning blame to distributor/dealer, this is how business works. Each party has to watch over their own bottom line.

Even after you have contacted the company, a support staff might not be able to go beyond his authority to offer help, or he might not have the experience. I am just stating common issues relating to support process in any company.  If you are not satisfy, don't give up, try to escalate to the management.

Now in response to your problem.  First batch of MCH-K38 has a problem with over heating and we ended up replacing every board, all at our expense. Unfortunately you bought from a US dealer and have difficulty in getting service.

As I have explained, please do not communicate with me and try to resolve this problem over a forum, because Help Desk ticket is our process.

rustydoglim

« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2020, 10:46 pm »
I replied to your help desk ticket and will follow up with Audium.